Agnostic.com

148 5

What was your worst experience with religious people?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

148 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only ones that have bothered me are the influx of flat-earthers that are spreading misinformation across the internet like some kind of digital crusade. I spent a year correcting their memes and answering their questions only to find that almost all of them are just contrarians trying to make the bible more scientifically accurate by inventing their own science, and possessed a level of arrogance which deserves a medical term of its own. I've now left all the groups I was in and blocked 200+ of them who persistently invade the NASA page and YouTube, and am enjoying the peace and quiet.

Just knowing they exist and to what extremes their beliefs can produce is an on going bad experience. Thats about as optimistic as I can get.

This is something I posted about previously. A girl whom I loved dearly broke off with me because of her religion. It has been fifty years and I still miss her.

I was dating a Catholic. He was in the midst of a divorce and had 3 young daughters. One night the priest of the church his family attended (not him, he was a "fallen Catholic" ) came to our house. He wanted my boyfriend to sign papers having the marriage annulled so his ex could remarry in the church. We asked him exactly what that meant. The priest told us that he had to deny that the marriage had ever been consummated. My boyfriend looked at his daughters that were sitting in the same room and said, "so you are asking me to say I am not their father." The priest just stood there for a minute and said "I guess I am." He was immediately removed from our home.

I was going/still am going through a bout of depression, I think. It's undecided. Anyhow, I was talking to one of my good friends from college about it and she suggests Jesus. I explain to her why that doesn't/won't work for me. We then start discussing the intricacies of my non-belief and she says, "I don't see how people who don't believe in God can believe in anything bigger than themselves. How can they ever do anything for anybody other than themselves". (Insert pretty much every other cliche).

Long story short, this person was my GOOD friend for 4.5 years, and she still had the balls to say that to me. As if over that time period I never once was anything but a hedonist. I just couldn't believe it.

I don't think I had any really bad ones. I do think I asked too many questions during my time in. I taxed the poor youth group ladies so with the questions that once I was pointed at sternly and told not to ask anymore questions. It's funny how much they try to teach when they can't seem to answer the questions themselves.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 17, 2018

Thankfully nothing truly terrible because of where I live. The worst is just your typical fruitless debates over matters of science and faith. I had the misfortune of getting into some awful and stupid debate about evolution and moral relativism with my former supervisor, the profound ignorance made me want to smack him with my shovel. He wasn't "religious" per say...."spiritual" I guess? Believed in god and the bible sorta, but doesn't practice the faith.

It was the typical bad talking points you'd hear from dumb people, but the aspect that just got on my nerves is the unwillingness to listen and let me inch in more than a single sentence. Dude was a walking dunning kruger about many things, but this was some of the worst.

My worst experience was being under my mothers religious control within the brethren church. a perfect setting to become another weirdo..................... which I didn't !!!

My brother became trapped into believing this nonsense which eventually drove him into committing suicide.

The time I got home from work one day and my fiancé was on the phone with his mom. I had just walked through the door and he was trying to put me on the phone with her from trying to be nice. All I was wanting to do was take off my shoes, put up my feet and relax. Anyway, when she realized she thought she was going to be talking to me, abruptly she was telling him that she had to go and was in a hurry to get off the phone cause she was convinced I was trying to talk to her, which I had no interest in doing so, anyway. Religious people are my enemy for the most part. Come to find out later, she was against me cause I didn’t give my life to the Lord and told my fiancé that she didn’t want to talk to me until I gave my life to the Lord.

When they told my (ex)husband and children I didn't really love them because I didn't have the love of Jesus in my heart. Yea.

Their sanctimonious arrogance.

Meeting them!

My worst experiences are with Christians. For some odd reason, they tend to want you to agree with them, and have an opinion that is more important than any other religious group out there. I so strongly believe that that they are blind, that I find their hypocrisy annoying. A girl I know very well, for instance (who is a drug addict, hardly educated and packed full of negativity, also very judgmental of anyone who strives to be different of others) once put me on the spot by randomly blurting that I was an atheist in front of about 4 people that I didn’t know. I was aggravated. I was aggravated that I had to explain to these people what an atheist is and that it really isn’t a choice. If i could go about life in a religious manner that suited me and what comforts me, then maybe I would. But I can’t. I won’t. The loyalty I have to being an atheist would never let me stoop down to this level. Also common sense and dignity could never make me agree with the bullshit. Atheist are seemingly arrogant and that may be true in some sense, but get around some good ol’ lazy Christians to test your patience and tolerance. Reading their bullshit on social media is enough for me. My grandmother is another example of a backwards ass christian. She is unseemingly racist, very judgmental and is that Trump supporter who wants to see unnecessary bullshit (like deporting dreamers) happen. She is also a Christian. She was raised in a different generation, yes, But the hypocrisy is undeniable. Do any other atheist struggle to communicate with Christians or any other religious group?

Yes. People post all types of religious stuff all the time in my social media. I get things like” I’ll pray for you.”

Being stalked and persecuted having idiots trying to cause you trouble and trying to harm you physically and mentally.

Witch Level 2 Dec 23, 2017

Actually, I laugh to myself when people tell me I am going to hell, because their view of heaven must include gated communities.

My first husband was very religious. We went to a church in a new town where we moved and they were standing all around me wanting me to talk in tongues. From across the room my husband began yelling in tongues and that shut them up LOL

Meeting and talking to them.

It was also my final straw in leaving the church. I had been going to an "all faiths" christian church back in 2003, and it was the realization when that the preacher had a prayer, every day, that was talking about how god will send checks in the mail, lottery winnings, cash, and the like if you believe in only him. I looked around me, and saw people with their arms up in the air trying to hug nothing, a lady in the back was yelling in babble (speaking in tongues), and at least 4 people were on the ground in what could only be described as a seizure. The word cult formed in my head, and I just couldn't get rid of it. I tried to talk to the preacher after everyone had left, and he only chastized me for not having faith, and giving everything I had, which really wasn't much. My wallet was already empty, so I threw it at him, and told him to stop preaching to my wallet, and I walked out.

Being considered as an outsider, strange, beyond the pale.

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

I get so tired of people saying that Heaven and Earth was formed in six days. In response, I wrote this. Feel free to cut and paste it into a saved text document for your own use if you want to.

The witness of Genesis
Hi, I'm the kind of person who sees what is missing in arguments. Here's a few observations if anyone is interested. Feel free to use these observations as your own if you like them.
I'm quoting from here: [en.wikipedia.org]
1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Ok, who is narrating this story, God? If so, does he normally refer to himself in the third person?
What was God doing before the beginning? When was time created? Where did God come from? Why did God create heaven and earth, was he bored?
1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Ok, God has a voice that he uses to command whatever to make stuff for him, and eyes for some reason since he apparently needs light to see in the dark even though he is God and doesn't need them.
And again, who is watching all this, his wife?
It goes on and on, God said, did, made, saw, etc., until...
1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Now, who is this "us" he is talking to? So God looks like a man? Great, God has a penis. Is it a big one? Why did God only have one son when he could have as many as he wants?
1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Yeah, yeah, God created a woman to be Adam's friend, cuz God's not a queer, right?
1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Basically, God says, "Adam and Eve, if you want more people, make them yourself". I guess God's getting tired of creating, so he gave his people genitalia so he could watch them make more people for him.
Let's see, Adam and Eve had three kids, and two of them had kids. Where did those kids mothers come from if there were only four people on earth?
Ok, I'm tired of this fairy tale. Now just because some well intended story made it down through the ages to King James I doesn't mean we have to discard the good things about the Bible. I think things like "Honor thy father and thy mother" and "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" are good things that we should keep and pass along. Do I believe in God? Yes, but I don't think he is some old guy with white hair and a beard looking down from the sky at us. He's more than that and I kinda dislike using the word He. For me, the laws of physics that describe nature have an elegance and simplicity that just couldn't exist by chance. Do I believe in science? For the most part, but things like the idea that genetics will one day allow us to have designer children and make organisms from scratch using synthetic DNA scares the hell out of me, so Bible thumpers, keep thumping, but don't just blindly follow what is written in any book. Ask questions, lots of questions. Btw, it's okay to have a question that we don't have an answer to, like the origin of the universe. Is the Big Bang correct? Shrug. I still have questions, like what was before the Big Bang and what was existence like before Time existed or did Time always exist? Does all of Time exist already or is the universe still forming and changing? Does the past still exist? How long is "Now"? Why do we remember the past and not the future? If we don't know something, we simply don't know, so let's not pretend we do.

the church begging us small kids for our money for the movies and candys all the while the three prieststhat told us it is a sin toto have possesions the drove a benz a caddy and a lincoln

I was fourteen or fifteen. One of those "emo" cutter kids who had scars running up and down my arm. I started going to and afterschool youth group held by a local Evangelical church at my school and enjoyed what they were teaching... Until one day they sat us in front of a video and halfway through the video it said that I was going to hell for cutting. That was when I realized that everything my parents (who are Asatru) taught me about the Abrahamic religions was right. I continued to go, but my mind was racing and eventually I left and never looked back.

Molestation by a religious teacher when I was 9 or ten.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

This is something I would hesitate to click the Like button for in response; I am very dismayed and saddened that this happened to you, and to so many other children.

Sue the bastard.

Oh boy, that is so easy, going to a Spiritual event in Spokane, we were accosted by some religious fanatics, telling all the people attending they were evil and all going tobe burning forever in Hell, I merely quoted their very own Bible to them all the passages that got ME kicked out of Parochial college, NO answers to what I asked them, filthy so and so's them fantaics of ANY kind

A few of the nuns and teachers at my elementary parochial school. We weren't beaten, but they were awfully strict and belittling and didn't make life any easier on kids who already had a difficult time fitting in.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.