Agnostic.com

200 18

Why do you reject the idea of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

200 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think I'm just repeating what others have said, but I see all of the craziness done in the name of religion, with all the sheep just following along. How could I support that? The infighting, the judging, the greed. So called religious folks have been some of the worst people I've ever had the displeasure to know.

Illogical and historically used to control people.

I don't believe in heaven or hell and I think the bible is just a collection of stories someone made up. There are too many people who take it literally. Nobody rises from the dead!

Snakes do not talk, a flower can not make a woman pregnant.
After a person is dead, it is dead.

It basically rejects the idea of making people think logically and rationally, instead, it indoctrinates things and stuff that cannot be proven just by referring to a book that underwent hundreds of revisions, additions, interpretations and again, revisions.

that's true, so true. As my dad used to say, "I won't bet my life on The Bible (or religion)"

they prefer stupidity, better profits that way.

It's a story and it has never made any sense to me.

Most, if not all of the songs, music, poetry and the arts are inspired by man's religious beliefs. There's also the wisdom behind the laws of every land based on their nation's religious beliefs, ecumenical or something like that.

If religion doesn't make any sense, you have to, and it's a must, that you take a real hard look deep into yourself. If you don't want to call it spiritual then call it self-development.

Nothing religious about that, don't you think?

@SonnyMlaPH must? Sorry, I don't do must. It might be a different story if it was offered as advice.

Because there is no evidence to support a belief in any gods and because religion seems to do more harm than good. Because people use their various religions to rationalize cruelty.

Deb57 Level 8 June 13, 2018

I don't - I just don't embrace it - It isn't applicable to me in any way. but I don't reject it for anyone else if someone gets comfort from a bible or a hot water bottle I wouldn't want to deprive them of anything that gave solace.

A triple digit IQ and the ability to reason.

Without writing a book.... the dots just do not paint a rational picture. The holy books (Bible, Vedas, Koran) are full of ambiguities, contradictions, and ridiculous stories (talking snakes, flying horses, impossible floods, ...) that simply make no rational sense, many contradicted by actual science. Then one only has to look at reality (massive indiscriminate random suffering from natural disasters and diseases) to realize that if there actually was a God, it is either powerless or a sadistic evil entity.

I reject the idea of religion because I value truth and honesty.

The foundation of religion is faith (belief without evidence) as truth assertions should be verifiable with demonstrable evidence, the concept that faith can be an avenue to truth is dishonest. I find this reprehensible as it promotes the baseless assertion of superstition over testable reality.

Religion is so often used as a method to avoid accountability for their actions. Morality and ethics are a self-supporting system. Religious people are some of the most corrupt people I've ever met and they avoid, at all cost, accepting responsibility for their actions, and the contradictions of their actions according to their own religion.

1. Religious people so called filled to the brim with a God who teaches them in their minds, yet they come out with so much ridiculous hypocrisies and clearly suffer from psychological sicknesses if I might use that simple term.
  2. After years of studying and obtaining Degrees in the field of Religion, the studying of that proved conclusively that although many of them had some historical factual data that I learned that the apologetic s part of it was at the least simply hypocritical and at the worst deadly (yes, I mean murderous in many cultures) pathological cover up nonsense that hurts and was responsible for the direct murders of as stated by many historians about 800,000,000 people.
    I would say that did it for me. I am thankful to have transcended it and its fear based systems to hold people into something so irrational and mystical.

I don't reject it, I simply don't accept it. One definition of "agnostic" I like is, "one who knows that they don't know." None seem to pass my "sniff test" but some have elements that I find interesting, like reincarnation in Hinduism or the veneration of ancestors in Shintoism.

It promotes a tribal mentality rather than unity. Compassion by the religious is often surpassed cruel or belittling thoughts and behavior.

Marz Level 7 Nov 22, 2017

To a certain extent, religion requires blind faith. There are certain questions when should never be asked, and the sceptic in me goes haywire when I’m simply supposed to believe in something cause someone said it. Also being from a country where religion is given more importance than humanity or anything else, my feelings as an atheist and as a sceptic have grown over time.

Religion causes hate and discontent-look at whatis going on now with Trump and the Republicans. Also the Crusades killed Jews and Muslims in the name of God-Christianity.

I don't think religion is based in anything factual, which is a big deal to me, and I think it's been a tool for controlling and subjugating people throughout history and continues to be used in such a way today.

I reject the idea of belief. Religion is just belief specified.

religion was only created to control the masses, but it has got out of control now, as a example islam, its followes are srt on world domination, because of a drunken, woman hater scribbels in a book, aka the koran. do we need this.

I don't reject the idea, I just don't believe in it. Why? Stupid question. It makes no reasonable sense. I don't believe in god for the same reason I don't believe in the tooth fairy. What I DO believe in are facts. Carl Sagan said it better than anyone. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. Reality and the scientific method are my guiding pillars.

The audacity that individuals think that their religion is the correct one . The war and hatred that it produces. The ridiculous things that they believe in. The brainwashing that they impose on their children

There was a time, in a distant history, where religions were simply fanciful structures for understanding the world around us. Rather innocent and quaint in their inception. Later, they became tools to control society -and literally cons to fool people into following leaders.

The worst facet nowadays is the indoctrination of youth into never questioning the religions or using critical thinking.

I don't really reject it, I just don't believe. It just doesn't make sense to me and is not logical. I don't think you need to reject it, just choose to not believe and move on with life

Religion was a convenient way to explain the mysteries of nature before the advent of science and mathematics. It is largely superfluous these days, except when the analysis of the mystery so complicated that the mathematician gives up, saying 'god only knows'...

Number one, I never really believed it in t in the first place. Number two, I see absolutely no evidence for it. Number three, what meaningful religion would produce most of the Christians you see in the public forum today?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.