Agnostic.com

200 18

Why do you reject the idea of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

200 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised by a Jew & an Irish Catholic and have seen plenty of evidence from an early age that religion does more harm than it does good simply by observing conflicts within my own inner family circle. This assumption was only strengthened over time by reading/studying the history of religion, as well as witnessing plenty of tragic scandals among various religious communities big & small....other than the obvious war mongering and murder done in the name of God, I take huge issue with child abuse culture inside religious communities.

Right now, there is huge push against the Mormon church and child abuse issues by bishops who interview young kids behind closed doors about sexuality. Things these people have gone through. Horrendous. Will make u cry.

Im intelligent. I read. I put "my faith" in tangible science.

Real stuff can be jaw-dropping though can't it?

The main reason I reject it is because I think it does more harm than good. Most of the wars can be traced back to a religious origin. I also think it causes terrible legislators to get into power.

Marathon would be different if not for religion. The major greek wars too. Now just because it isn't the crusades doesn't mean religion isn't involved. Christian god was blessing both sides poster wise in recent world wars.

Because the search for truth is far more rewarding than just accepting that "god" did it.

I reject the concept of religion as all are man made for the power and the glory of men and the complete subjugation of women.
I do have a small place in my heart for Lillith, however, before she was demonised and replaced by the buttercup, rib girl Eve!

Totally agree. Thankyou for sharing

I see a trend in most of these comments that I am in complete agreement with.

The use of fear to control the faithful. It is a political tool as well.

If it wasn’t for the fear of going to hell I doubt religion would even exist.

I love...I really do...when a candle sucker tells me "We must give you a bible." because it gives me the chance to answer: "Thanks; I will use it when there is a shortage of toilet paper." They become enraged......LOL

Typical reaction for one of the religous nuts.

elders don't practice what they preach

I reject the teachings of religion I think all are ultimately harmful any belief structure around a deity is harmful and dangerous as we have all seen.

I believe religion is orchestrated by man to control the masses and that it is one of the two fornicators.

Illogical and historically used to control people.

Religion and God are the worst ideas ever created by man. They are inherently dangerous concepts. They say that the world is not a knowable place. They deny the value of observation, evidence and rational discussion. They say that the senses cannot be trusted, that the individual cannot make reasoned, moral judgments, that higher authority must be consulted and obeyed. They allow men position themselves between earth and heaven, where they pretend to possess absolute truth and in doing so, control the actions of others. In the PBS series "The Ascent of Man," Professor Bronowski, standing ankle deep in an ashy swamp outside the gas chambers of Auschwitz, quotes the words of Cromwell, "In the bowels of Christ I beseech you, pray think you might be mistaken." There has never been a more eloquent statement on the dangers of absolutism than this.

Because if there were a god in the religious sense, he/she/it would not have created a world where people kill each other over different interpretations of who and what god is. The religious god is an idiot, a narcissist, and not a very nice being.

Brian Level 2 Sep 29, 2017

It impedes and infantalizes humankind; not to mention it makes humans who would otherwise be moral, empathetic humans into immoral, callous humans.

It has already been stated, but the control that it tries to put over on other people is a big hindrance.
The atrocities that come about due to contradictions about who is right. We would all be better off without it....??Imagine??

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

Number one, I never really believed it in t in the first place. Number two, I see absolutely no evidence for it. Number three, what meaningful religion would produce most of the Christians you see in the public forum today?

It's simple common freakin' sense. Things DO happen for a reason - and that reason is "cause and effect". Something happens, which causes something else to happen, which causes something else to occur. There's no magic or mystery to it. No supernatural being did it.

I think I'm just repeating what others have said, but I see all of the craziness done in the name of religion, with all the sheep just following along. How could I support that? The infighting, the judging, the greed. So called religious folks have been some of the worst people I've ever had the displeasure to know.

I just don't find any of it too convincing

An adequate understanding of reality

I judge most things by their results. Most of the results of religion are wars.

as George Carlin said: religion is bullshit

Because they've been like 25 or 30 God's with the exact same background story religion is just to control the masses people need an answer to these questions so other people gave it to them and vented religion some people have used it for good some people have used it for bad. Religion is a fairytale when somebody seriously talk to me about religion I look at them as a four year old kid who tells me that Superman and Spider-Man came into the room and told him a bedtime story

At first it was how teachings from the Bible made me feel worthless because I was female. After years of learning more about different religions, I just felt so much hate from them in some form or other. Learned that most wars were based on some sort of religion issue. The more I learn the less they make sense. They just feel like a way to control, comfort, explain or just have set rules for the masses to follow with some sort of fear of retribution to keep them in line. It's like lazy parenting when they make up all the "If you are good Santa will bring you presents" and "if you are bad you will burn in hell" bs.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 1, 2017

Lack of compelling evidence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.