Agnostic.com

200 18

Why do you reject the idea of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

200 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It impedes and infantalizes humankind; not to mention it makes humans who would otherwise be moral, empathetic humans into immoral, callous humans.

It's toxic to pretty much everything it touches. Religious people start wars whereas atheists rarely (of course, there are exceptions). Religious people - and this includes other "religions" like veganism, pro-GM, anti-GM... pro-organic, pro-choice, anti-choice etc. try to force their worldview on others. This is a very bad thing and it needs to be stopped.

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

They kill in the name of their god. Some religious groups, believing that they'r only passing through in this lifetime just seem to be waiting peacefully to get slaughtered

What I reject is the delusional mentality of religions' practitioners, not the idea.

I agree with you bro, manipulative, as my dad say, "they don't practice what they preach"

I love...I really do...when a candle sucker tells me "We must give you a bible." because it gives me the chance to answer: "Thanks; I will use it when there is a shortage of toilet paper." They become enraged......LOL

Typical reaction for one of the religous nuts.

I see a trend in most of these comments that I am in complete agreement with.

The use of fear to control the faithful. It is a political tool as well.

If it wasn’t for the fear of going to hell I doubt religion would even exist.

because it's ludicrous.

Alot of the stories and beliefs are just too way out there for me, and I don't like the oppression and hate religion teaches. I was exposed to a little bit of different religious institutions when I was a child, but spent the most amount of time meditating with my mom in my early years in Buddhist temples. Overall, I have taken what feels true to me, the stuff that makes sense and feels good and threw away the rest.

Vayton Level 4 July 28, 2018

Personally, I don't reject the idea of religion. In fact, the idea of religion makes perfect sociological sense as it provides community bonding, identity, purpose, among other benefits. Many that follow soap operas buy into an imaginary narrative and use it as a bonding process with other fans. Likewise supporters of sporting clubs, some with incredibly partisan views. Many of these institutions have their deities, their social cohesiveness, their reason to engage in an activity on a cyclic basis.

The misconception is to confuse belief in gods with social adhesion. It allows types of different individuals the opportunity to share in a collective activity which may not be possible under 'non-religious' conditions. The evangelical nature of some religions is not the problem of religion, but the challenge lies squarely with the adherents. Its the people, not the place.

I don't reject the idea of religion. I challenge the behaviour of individuals within.

Zero evidence. The repulsive nature of the personalities of the devout is only (revolting) icing on that cake.

Religious ignorance at its best;. A group of Catholic participating in a macabre ritual against abortion...they are "adoring" a fetus.

[facebook.com]

The older I grow the more I am convinced that only children and mentally challenged people can believe in religions. But over the years I also realised that for too many people seem to be defending other ideas with religious zeal and fervor. Fanaticism is the ugliest expression of submission and it exists amongst sports fans and nationalities.
Often there are phenomena that are sacred: religions, sports and matters military.

Read the bible. All the proof I needed.

anyone who has really studied religion should see through all the lies etcetcetc or they are blind to the truth that it is man made

anyone who has really studied religion should see through all the lies etcetcetc or they are blind to the truth that it is man made

It is a form of control. Do as I say or you do not have gods acceptance. Do as I say or you are not welcome to socialize with the patrons. Give me your money or god will punish you. They just don't get how moronic that sounds. It is the basis for prejudice follow my churches rituals because your religion does it the wrong way. Then the principles eye for an eye what does that solve violence begets violence. Think Ben Franklin was rite the principles for society need to be reformed. To be proactive is a much better way, most of the world is reactive.

I'm an open minded person that is why I reject religion. Only closed and weak minded fool have religion. The last 7 weeks without religion/god have been better for me.

It partially came from my dog that hung himself. I was totally grief stricken, I told my dad I’d see the dog in heaven. My dad said, “Son, dogs aren’t allowed in heaven.” That was the moment when I decided I didn’t ever want to go to heaven, I wanted to go where ever my dog went.

Religion is a form of control no different to politics , designed by the few to control the many with the fear of problems in the after life , if you do not follow their rules or requirements . If any religious book was ever really written , it has been intentionally miss transated every few 100 years or less, to suit a political climate at that present time . If there ever was a book , not one word of its original content will be used these days. Religion is to manipulate and control in exactly the same way politic's are used to control us. My father was an over zeleous religious type, pretending to be higher than high and stating that his religion was a burden for him to carry, being as he was a part of a percecuted nation :-/ , ( yeah right ) . The sunday school I was allowed to attend until the introduction of the new testamont around 67-70, he then made us all leave sunday school , which I already hated, as all it stood for to me, was a cold place of harsh authoritarianism. Being yourself and being friendly and happy can easily be achieved with no religion, I feel we are all conduits of the same consciousness anyway<< that was once missinterpruted as a holy devine spirit, instead of the one thing that makes us all equal<< consciousness << thats not a condition of religion , its a state of mind 😉 ..

No evidence.

I don't reject it I never embraced it - it has no meaning for me whatsoever -I don't reject it for other people, its a free country you may believe whatever you want .

I do not "reject" the idea of religion, I just find it mostly silly and have no use for it! I am not fighting it off, I just do not care about it personally until it rears its ugly head into politics and law.

The answer to this question was best done by Matt Dillahunty, 'This shit makes no sense' enough said 🙂

Religion is just a list of rules created by a group of powerful people to control powerless people. If gods do exist, I'm certain that they'd have nothing to do with religion.

Because it comes with many bad sides"

• you tend to judge others (mostly atheists)
  • you are less tolerant
  • you are closed minded (most of you)
  • you hinder progress.

I am sure there are many more but those are the ones that come to mind.

I reject religion because I think it's just one more way for those with the power to control those without.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.