Agnostic.com

200 18

Why do you reject the idea of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

200 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to question everything. The idea of a god is so ridiculous that I literally do not believe a thinking person could believe it.

it doesn't make sense, and it's completely nonsensical.

My parents didn't let them get to me when I was a child so I just don't understand. I don't have any comprehension of God centeredness.

Because it's not true and I like to live in and deal with reality on a daily basis. That is tough enough without having to deal with the made-up and mystical.

I am evidence based instead of faith based. Evidence leads us to truth whereas faith accepts something as true. Children have faith Santa Claus is real but that belief does not make it true.

Its alllll bullshit and lies

Because it is just fairy stories for adults. Most of what is said in the Bible is stolen from other cultures and their mythologies.

Grown ups shouldn't believe in fairy tales. It's to to end the propagation of ignorance, political influence, and confidence scam that is religion.

JimG Level 8 Nov 8, 2017

Because religion is a lie.

It is a form of control based on fear of a very earthly punishment.

Let's start with common sense. Religion was invented by humans in ancient times to explain the unexplainable. It has since been used as a tool of control and oppression, especially against women.

Because religion is the invention of few wise guys who realized the human mind is extremely impressionable and therefore can be manipulated to serve a given purpose.

For me personally it's not so much the ideas or teachings, i don't buy all of that, yes, but it
s more about the individuals...the practicers rather than what is practiced. My Granny was religious and she would NEVER have in a million years picketed the funeral of a Gay solider. or been involved with anyone who would bomb an Abortion Clinic. her Jesus helped the poor healed the sick and fed the hungry. Her Jesus didn't go around saying God hates fags or I hate you because you're a man who loves a man. And it's this idea that we should have bibles in public schools and make a law at the top level banning abortion or gay marriage. They have no argument against gay marriage other than they think their bible says so. there's no legal reason I digress. There is way too much hypocrisy and the list goes on and on why I call bullshit on religion.

The winders of the Cosmos far exceeds that of any god or religion!

I don't reject the idea, I just don't believe in it. Why? Stupid question. It makes no reasonable sense. I don't believe in god for the same reason I don't believe in the tooth fairy. What I DO believe in are facts. Carl Sagan said it better than anyone. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. Reality and the scientific method are my guiding pillars.

religion was only created to control the masses, but it has got out of control now, as a example islam, its followes are srt on world domination, because of a drunken, woman hater scribbels in a book, aka the koran. do we need this.

I don't, I reject any ideology which is not based on reason, however, religion makes a special claim for itself, to be divinely inspired. Echoes of 'The Hitch' but truth tends to ring loud in spite of superstitious nonsense.

I reject the idea of belief. Religion is just belief specified.

I don't think religion is based in anything factual, which is a big deal to me, and I think it's been a tool for controlling and subjugating people throughout history and continues to be used in such a way today.

Religion causes hate and discontent-look at whatis going on now with Trump and the Republicans. Also the Crusades killed Jews and Muslims in the name of God-Christianity.

To a certain extent, religion requires blind faith. There are certain questions when should never be asked, and the sceptic in me goes haywire when I’m simply supposed to believe in something cause someone said it. Also being from a country where religion is given more importance than humanity or anything else, my feelings as an atheist and as a sceptic have grown over time.

Concept of christian, muslim, jewish or any religion god is impossible and here is why, look at the universe and how big it is nobody can't even comprehend how big it is and it is possible that it is not the only one but that there is multiverse, we know only small part of phisical laws, now put this all enormous thing together now think of it's master (if he existed) that being would be above all, he would be being of maximum understanding and power with no ego or love as we know it, we would be a grain of sand in eyes of that being because it is almost certain there is life on other planets (it would be egoistic to think that we are alone and that everything is made for us), he would ve creating big bang and life would be it's fenomenon, a highly overrated fenomenon, we would be like ants to it, because compasion, love, hate and ego are all chemical products in brain and that being would be free of it, it would not care if we worship it or not as it is not petty and small being like us and this is only if we assume that something like this is real

Marin Level 2 Nov 20, 2017

I was raised as a conservative christian. The dogmatic nature of religion, as well as its fear based teachings, did a lot of damage to me. It took me a long time to realize that I had the power, and the right, to reject religion and live a secular life. When I finally made that decision, I began to realize that it wasn't only my religion that was dogmatic. In fact, many religions (not just cults) use brain washing techniques that include gas lighting, fear mongering, intense peer pressure and the threat of exile to keep their followers in line.

There are thousands of people out there who are still getting over the long term effects of their affiliations with religion, and there are even more people who haven't yet broken free. I understand that religion gives people hope, but more often than not, that hope is based on an intense fear of some kind of sin related threat, like hell. And more often than not, the hope offered by religion comes at the cost of higher reasoning and an unbiased understanding of science. I happen to feel that the cons outweigh the pros. That's why I reject religion.

It promotes a tribal mentality rather than unity. Compassion by the religious is often surpassed cruel or belittling thoughts and behavior.

Marz Level 7 Nov 22, 2017

I guess I come at this issue with kind of a 12-stepper's perspective. No one knows what happens when we die. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever for any kind of after-life or definitive proof that an after-life doesn't exist. If that's the case then why waste any energy on that issue at all? Why not control what you actually can control? Why not live the best life you possibly can right now? I try to do right by my friends and family, the larger community, the environment and the whole world itself. This is my higher power (see I told you I was a 12-stepper????) and I only really matter as a part of these greater wholes. Now I will acknowledge that I do not accept faith. I cannot accept something without some kind of reason/logic/evidence behind it. Since faith seems to be a fundamental tenet in pretty much all religions I do reject them on that basis. Plus 'because' as an explanation or justification for anything is a 5 year-old's answer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.