Agnostic.com

200 18

Why do you reject the idea of religion?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

200 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is no good reason to believe the factual claims of any religion are true. Even if I wanted to believe I could not without evidence.

There is far more evidence that things like the Bible are fiction created by people than there is solid evidence of one being "in charge" of everything happening in the world. I have also had many more experiences in my life which show that any such belief I've had was futile or empty than I have experiences that 100% satisfy or validate said belief. If "God" were real, it likely would have proven itself to me by now; all I have are unanswered questions about the universe.

religion is cheating the mass, exploiting them for priests to live a kingly life.
There is no heaven or hell after death. One must enjoy or live in heaven in this life.

I reject religion because I reject superstition an mysticism and embrace reason and empirical proof. I would rather have no answer than one made up out of seductive fantasy.

Because they've been like 25 or 30 God's with the exact same background story religion is just to control the masses people need an answer to these questions so other people gave it to them and vented religion some people have used it for good some people have used it for bad. Religion is a fairytale when somebody seriously talk to me about religion I look at them as a four year old kid who tells me that Superman and Spider-Man came into the room and told him a bedtime story

as George Carlin said: religion is bullshit

It's simple common freakin' sense. Things DO happen for a reason - and that reason is "cause and effect". Something happens, which causes something else to happen, which causes something else to occur. There's no magic or mystery to it. No supernatural being did it.

It has already been stated, but the control that it tries to put over on other people is a big hindrance.
The atrocities that come about due to contradictions about who is right. We would all be better off without it....??Imagine??

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

Religion and God are the worst ideas ever created by man. They are inherently dangerous concepts. They say that the world is not a knowable place. They deny the value of observation, evidence and rational discussion. They say that the senses cannot be trusted, that the individual cannot make reasoned, moral judgments, that higher authority must be consulted and obeyed. They allow men position themselves between earth and heaven, where they pretend to possess absolute truth and in doing so, control the actions of others. In the PBS series "The Ascent of Man," Professor Bronowski, standing ankle deep in an ashy swamp outside the gas chambers of Auschwitz, quotes the words of Cromwell, "In the bowels of Christ I beseech you, pray think you might be mistaken." There has never been a more eloquent statement on the dangers of absolutism than this.

Religion seems to be a method to describe things that are too complex for us to truthfully understand and accurately describe. Reality is scary, unfair, and disgusting. While at the same time it is lovely, humorous, and rewarding. In our primitive times, we needed a crutch, and many of us still need a crutch.

Religion is objectively a group with many subgroups, and also is used to divide. It has it's pros and cons. People who are part of a religion are more likely to be treated with respect, care, concern, support, etc. within that group. Those outside of that group will likely not receive those same perks from that group.

We can go much more into this putting in the concepts of structural functionalism, social constructionism, and social conflict theory, but that would be a little too much for now. The idea of religion is something that I have walked away from personality.

Still, if it wasn't for religion, our history would have been much different which again, has its pros and cons. Many charitable and altruistic traditions are rooted in religions, so that is a plus from my perspective.

may i add that most if not all of the constitutions and laws of the nations of the world are based on their religious baliefs. . . if only those religious elders would practice what they preach

no pros just cons. I can not find very much logic in your way of thinking. Charitable altruistic traditions blah blah blah be serious. your mind goes all over.

There is no actual evidence to support anything supernatural. The Randi Foundation's $million was never claimed.

p433 Level 1 Sep 20, 2017

yes, even the dice experiments of Dr.J.B.Rhine are now in question

I don't reject the idea of religion I reject the practice of religion. I reject kids not getting medical treatment because an old book tells them God will heal all things if you pray hard enough. I reject children being taught that science is BS and it's just a bunch of men in white coats grabbing at grant money. And many more things

LOL . . . here in the Phileippines, and maybe elsewhere, medical schools run by religious institutions are looking deep into the phenomena of psychic healing because there are so many so-called "faith healers" here in my country. And just like the thousands of religious groups registered in our Securities and Exchange Commission, these faith healers have long been doing good business. I tend to envy these guys whenever I have to scrape the bottom of my rice pot. to feed my family

SonnyMIAPH You said you envied those people who scammed money when you're scraping the bottom of your rice pot to feed your family. I just want to say that I respect you more for scrapping the bottom of your rice pot and I know respect doesn't feed your family, but it's not nothing either. You're a leader to our future, every parent is and the shitty part here is I can't offer you a glorious reward in an afterlife for your efforts I can just say thanks.

oh, thank you so much Paul1967 for those very kind and generous remarks . . . I just hope the others won't accuse us of "scratch my back I'll scratch yours, too!" ha-ha-ha!

A long time ago an old friend of mine who happen to be a priest saw me profusely smoking a cigarette on the far side of chapel's yard, approched me and asked, "hey kid, what seem to be problem?"
I replied, "so many bills to pay, been struggling "under" for several months now."
Priest, "a gov't rank-and-file employee like would really find it hard to make ends meet. Why not make a "born again christian ministry" of your own, you know it's the best business in the world and very popular here (Philippines). I'll lend you my other sound system and you can take the second corner from here that has a better pedestrian traffic. I'll have two of my guys and their young sisters assist you with donations one for each corner of that intersection. Hand your calling cards/flyers to all passersby. When you've enough following you can rent a cheap apartment unit as your group's chapel and that's it, it will snowball"

Believe in each persons right to find God

how true, oh, so true . . . and you may also call that "respect"

I believe in each persons right to find God their own way. I believe Judaic based religions are based in falsehood

What reason do you have to believe any God exists?

elders don't practice what they preach

Because I see no evidence of any higher powers.

It’s basically a search for answers to big questions such as “where does the earth come from” and “what is the origin of mankind”, with made-up answers which pay no attention to evidence.

Religion says "Believe it!". Science says "Prove it!". And I've always been the science-oriented type!

Because there are no religions without internal strife, further diving people into separate camps of chaos and conflict.
Show me a religion with some evidence to it's name and we can have a different discussion.

Religion, if i am defining it right, is an organized system of beliefs revolving around human interaction with a supreme being or beings. i don't believe in any such beings. therefore religion is not for me... with the caveat that the secular, reform judaism in which i was very loosely raised has humanistic elements, and damned good food, and interesting holidays, so i like it, but i am still an atheist, which, by the way, is not forbidden in judaism despite its revolving around aforementioned supreme being (noncorporeal and genderless, as it happens). it's not the IDEA of religion i reject. it's the BASIS for religion i reject. some of the details are horrific and others are cool, but in the end, without a supreme being, most religions really make no sense. some religions make no sense even WITH a supreme being, but that's another story!

g

**I do not reject the idea of religion - that is the greatest crowd control method in the world and most humans are primitives who need to have religions/ crowd control in their lives. I don't but ok by me what others need to do so long as it does not infringe on my life.

It ruined my life. It shows how gullible some people are. I should not have to hide that im attracted to men or want to become a woman. Its my life.

Why would anybody want to worship something "forever and ever?" If this is your god he is an egotistical prick. Imagine him as a ham sandwich or a good steak dinner. Maybe your favorite vegetarian meal. Wouldn't it all get old after about the first 10,000 years?

As for "unanswered questions" what if your god who has always existed was the universe which has always existed in one form or another. We are indeed "star stuff" as Carl Sagan said but I find no reason here to be worshiping the universe. What is, is. It doesn't have to mean anything unless you are solving a crime. Clouds do not "look like Jesus" and there are not any invisible men in the sky. If your god was in another universe or dimension you would have no way of knowing this and certainly no way of proving it. Modern apologists do this in order to "protect" their god from close scrutiny.

Well there many reason one is the lack of evidence in this god.
Any religion that require faith to get to heaven or offer hell just because you don't believe is often sign of a bad or fake one

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.