Agnostic.com

200 18

Why do you reject the idea of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

200 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me it was pretty simple . . . could I say that I believe in a God and not fairies and elves and magic? I answered "no".

God/gods are created by men to control men.

There was a time, in a distant history, where religions were simply fanciful structures for understanding the world around us. Rather innocent and quaint in their inception. Later, they became tools to control society -and literally cons to fool people into following leaders.

The worst facet nowadays is the indoctrination of youth into never questioning the religions or using critical thinking.

there are many reasons I could give here but to state it simply, religion does not make any logical sense, it seems to me that religion was and to some extent still is just a means for a few men to control the rest of the population

Which of the thousands of gods history can talk of? Believe in a god that needs to be worshiped? So yes as Twain has said: "If there is a god he is a malign thug."

Religion is a mental illness.

Teresa Level 6 Oct 16, 2017

I agreed.

I also agree.

Well, since auditory experiences and hallucinations are common among the extremely religious people, I would say that in some cases religion and schizophrenia are closely related

@DUCHESSA I’ve met people who told me that they actually hear the voice of God in their heads. If that isn’t disturbing, I don’t know what is.

A well organized mental illness where people make money.

@EmeraldJewel - My neighbour hears god - OUTLOUD. Reminds me of Son of Sam. Scary and disturbing.

@Teresa disturbing.

I don't know if you jest or if you are serious. It by definition is a delusion. In psychology it fits the definition of delusion but gets a nice exemption from diagnosis. Group think is the major cause of religious thinking. When many people share the same delusion then perfectly sane people can buy into it. A good example is Orson Wellls Radio program of War of the Worlds.

We should just start referring to churches as insane asylums.

@DavidLaDeau - I believe honestly that it is a mental illness, I can understand being deluded before you have someone point out fact and non- fact, proof and absence of proof. When they radio announce it was a spoof everyone stopped - with religion when someone proves something else they deny it. I mean my neighbour thinks one of every sex of every dinosaur was on the arc and they starved to death because then they were all vegetarian dinosaurs.

@Teresa That's funny actually...Evidently your neighbor has not considered that his God did not know or plan for that....

@DavidLaDeau The saddest part is she believes EVERYTHING is per-determined so when he daughter passed away in a car accident she has been praying to god for an answer to why for the last six years and posted on FB last week. " The only joy I know is knowing I am one day closer to seeing you again" Since she has a husband, and 2 other kids and 4 or 5 grandchildrne, how can a post liek that make them feel.. Soooo sad.

Well, other than there being no such thing as a god or gods.... it is primarily the dogma that comes with organized religion, which is more harmful than helpful to a society or community.

My opinion is that religion is organized fantasy; it's core - empty fabrications.

J3sse Level 5 Oct 14, 2017

Why do you reject the idea of the world being flat? for the same reason, stupidity. I can live my life very happily without having my life interfered with sins and church every sunday.

Because it is the catalyst for justifying social atrocities.

There is no good reason to believe the factual claims of any religion are true. Even if I wanted to believe I could not without evidence.

There is far more evidence that things like the Bible are fiction created by people than there is solid evidence of one being "in charge" of everything happening in the world. I have also had many more experiences in my life which show that any such belief I've had was futile or empty than I have experiences that 100% satisfy or validate said belief. If "God" were real, it likely would have proven itself to me by now; all I have are unanswered questions about the universe.

religion is cheating the mass, exploiting them for priests to live a kingly life.
There is no heaven or hell after death. One must enjoy or live in heaven in this life.

I don't really reject it, I just don't believe. It just doesn't make sense to me and is not logical. I don't think you need to reject it, just choose to not believe and move on with life

There are many different religions around the world

religion was created by rulers who wanted to scare people into believing a certain belief and eternal punishment f they did not obey and kiss the rulers butt.

Insofar as it conflicts with our scientific knowledge of the physical universe and ourselves, I reject it. It is also a very easy way to control people and get money from them.

Religion was a convenient way to explain the mysteries of nature before the advent of science and mathematics. It is largely superfluous these days, except when the analysis of the mystery so complicated that the mathematician gives up, saying 'god only knows'...

I reject religion because I reject superstition an mysticism and embrace reason and empirical proof. I would rather have no answer than one made up out of seductive fantasy.

Lack of compelling evidence.

At first it was how teachings from the Bible made me feel worthless because I was female. After years of learning more about different religions, I just felt so much hate from them in some form or other. Learned that most wars were based on some sort of religion issue. The more I learn the less they make sense. They just feel like a way to control, comfort, explain or just have set rules for the masses to follow with some sort of fear of retribution to keep them in line. It's like lazy parenting when they make up all the "If you are good Santa will bring you presents" and "if you are bad you will burn in hell" bs.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 1, 2017

Because they've been like 25 or 30 God's with the exact same background story religion is just to control the masses people need an answer to these questions so other people gave it to them and vented religion some people have used it for good some people have used it for bad. Religion is a fairytale when somebody seriously talk to me about religion I look at them as a four year old kid who tells me that Superman and Spider-Man came into the room and told him a bedtime story

as George Carlin said: religion is bullshit

I judge most things by their results. Most of the results of religion are wars.

An adequate understanding of reality

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.