Agnostic.com

49 5

Is happiness real?

Is there such a thing as finding happiness, or is it more like finding something you can live with?

By anonymous7
Actions Follow Post Like

Post a comment Add Source Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm happy most of the time...it has nothing to do with anyone else, just how I look at the world. I don't think it is a constant state of giddiness...more like contentment...still feel depressed, angry, unhappy, sad, etc. but, without the bad, I don't know if you can feel the good...

I'm happy. I might be insane, though.

I think happiness is different for everyone. Like a lot of things, it's a moving target. I also believe you can decide to be happy. Just as you can make yourself miserable. If you constantly focus on the negative, you can talk yourself into a downer. Like someone else said, it's part of a range of emotions. A person can't expect to be giddy about everything all the time.

The singer/philospher Roger Miller once said, "...you can't roller-skate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to..."

It's "real" if you think it is. If you're "happy", no one else has the right to tell
you that you aren't.

KKGator Level 9 Aug 13, 2018

I have experienced true happiness. I eagerly await the day when I find it again.

Kafirah Level 8 Aug 13, 2018

Happiness is a chemical response in the brain, when dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, and endorphins get released giving a feeling of euphoria

May I suggest , if you don't like the life you're living , then it's time to change it .

Cast1es Level 8 Aug 13, 2018

Happiness is an emotion. Of course feeling happy is real.

To those who have it.

skado Level 8 Aug 13, 2018

I believe you have to be happy with yourself to find happiness. ?

Sheannutt Level 9 Aug 13, 2018

That answer always drives me nuts..

?❤

It can be both, but I think happiness is real. It's just that happiness is not constant. It becomes temporary just like that favorite pie you like.

I'm happy but I have daily doubts on many levels. I would also be happy if I won the big lottery but in the end I would still have these daily doubts.

DenoPenno Level 8 Aug 13, 2018

like most things its a good memory not a constant state of being

weeman Level 7 Aug 13, 2018

Yes, happiness is real. It is one of a spectrum of emotions we humans can feel. Like other emotions it is not a permanent state. We all experience happiness at one end of the scale and sadness at the other. We are only concerned with happiness here in this post so I will not digress to other emotions, but extreme happiness or euphoria is transitory whereas living in a happy state of mind is more akin to contentment. Trying not to aspire to unattainable ideals is the best way, in my opinion, to achieving happiness.

Yes, happiness is real. No, you cannot live in it 24-7.

A more realistic goal is occasional happiness, with peace and even-tempered calm in-between joys.

Deveno Level 7 Aug 13, 2018

I don't think happiness is something you can find directly. I think it's a bi-product of living your best life possible, while accepting the ironies and shortcomings of being alive. More than happiness, I'm looking for contentment and fulfillment; bottom line, even if times are bad, still being able to recognize that life is beautiful.

bleurowz Level 8 Aug 14, 2018

It's as real as any other emotion.

Anne209 Level 6 Aug 13, 2018

If ones brain chemistry is well adjusted one is happy.

Mooolah Level 8 Aug 13, 2018

Contentment for me. Happiness tends to come in spurts for me.

Sticks48 Level 9 Aug 13, 2018

Not for me, not without my son.

@Deiter simply the instinct that life has to continue

I think happiness is what you make it. Like love it’s a personal experience that’s different for everyone. It can be hard to choose to be happy and feel impossible at times. But ultimately it’s up to you and not your situation/environment.

BeccaVa Level 7 Aug 13, 2018

Happiness isn't a destination, you find it on the road.

Since you define your own happiness, your question can only ber answered by you. I know that my ghappiness has finally revealed itself as the need to be alone and autonumous. And drink good beer.

Happiness is in yourself, as soon as you look for happiness somewhere else, you are doomed! You give all you power away! That is the main source of misery in the world!you forgot who you truly are!!! You are the manifestation of the Absolute!! Don't trust my word for it, try it for yourselves! Quiet the mind and dive deep within yourselves and behold the You... Niverse!

Happiness is real if you believe it is real. It is all the state of mind.

LeslieV2 Level 5 Aug 13, 2018

Happiness is real if you believe it is real. It is all the state of mind.

LeslieV2 Level 5 Aug 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text 'q:154275'.
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer.
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others!