Agnostic.com

119 5

How do you make life meaningful without the help of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

119 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Family and friends and experiences make life meaningful.

Religious life is meaningless - putting all your hopes onto something that isn't true, for an imaginary reward. Just be good.

Social Justice in not religeous, it is human.

Consider that life has been on earth almost 4 billion years. One of those first microbes was your first ancestor. Even a small change in the chain of evolution in all that time could easily have made our species extinct or you impossible. That seems better than magic to me.

By helping others, making others' lives better, helping the needy, smiling at strangers, having to a child, making others' days better. Peace.

You find meaning by doing things for others. In leaving behind a legacy. And more scientifically... Reproduction...its how we truly live on forever in the genetic material that makes up our progeny.

We're essentially squishy robots. Our purpose is self-contained.

I found much more meaning in my life when I finally abandoned religion. This placed the onus totally on me. I will die, my body will fail and die and dissolve, that is the end of me really. All I have is the moments between when I am born and when I die, what I do with them is up to me. So it all boils down to what do I value? What do I wish to help preserve and defend so that it survives into the future. I love life, love my kids, and assume they will love their kids, who will in turn love their and so on. Therefore I am an environmentalist, I want the natural world to be as beautiful as possible for future generations, ie my descendants. Life is delicate, ecosystems are adaptable, and somewhat resilient, but not compared to what civilization is throwing at them. I aim to ensure that the world is at least the tiniest little bit better for my having passed through. There are 7 billion people, if we all did that, wow. That said, if I did not believe I could make that positive contribution, I would remove myself.

Live it, without stupid restrictions. Find what you like and do it.

Be understanding , compassionate, witty, and curious about other people's stories not their baggage or gossip . Love life , it sounds simple but it is not always present as our own head gets in the way .. Travel and explore the planet...

I do not need some mysterious sky fairy to give my life meaning. I contribute to the corpus of human knowledge, and my contributions will far outlive me. Science is meaning without magical thinking, and I have and continue to create meaning in this context.

I wouldn't know how to give my life meaning WITH the help of religion. That is very specific to me because I know that all religion is made up. Back when I did not know that, well, my answer would have been different.

This is a silly question to me as life is meaningful and does not require religious indoctrination and or fear mongering. . What could be more meaningful than wanting to make the most of everything and to trying to instil common sense and talent in the children without trying to force them down the route of division , falsehood and irrational fear of being human and enjoying life . To grow with a kind heart for the right reasons and know how to make the most of whats available whilst understanding moral cohabitation and sharing without fear and without the constant blindness of financial gain at the forefront of everything

it doesn't matter if it's meaningless and the earth gets hit by a huge asteroid. in fact, that's a good reason to just live and enjoy as much as you can. my dogs are just laying next to me thinking in the now and that is how I try to be. I don't like to be labelled as anything really if i can help it.

I don't have to make life meaningful. It just is, or isn't. Life and meaning are two different things.

Found religion a hinderance, negative factor in looking for meaning in life. A negative philosophy that teaches one to discard your greatest asset, ( the ability to think). To believe that you are born evil, out of evil, and that you can only be worth something by believeing in a mystical being that seeks to control you through fear and guilt. That kind of "help", I don't need. Watch most any child, or animal given love growing up, and generally the proof of inherit goodness is evident. Evil, meaness, irrationallity, is taught, not inherited.

What do you mean by meaningful? I think we should all go around the place being good to each other. Simple.

Life ,all you need do is look around yourself and be dismayed at how wonderful nature is. If you choose to not to take part it is a terrible thing. I do not know how one could not enjoy life while holding a puppy, looking at the grand canyon and sharing a life with someone.

I just live my life n such a way that the world will have been a better place for my having been in it. That is enough.

Why would you need religion to make life meaningful? Have work and friends you enjoy. Start doing things you enjoy like hobbies and fishing and traveling. Get a lover.

I'm not sure 'life' was meaningful when I was religious. As an Adventist, we were taught that the point of life was to follow a set of rules to qualify us for a 'better life' of sorts in the after-life, a place in Heaven. As a woman in that religion, my life would have been 'meaningful' if I had birthed and raised babies within the church, and if I had remained 'Godly' till death, selflessly preparing myself to go to Heaven. If there is no God and no Heaven, none of that means anything in the real world. My life now is about discovering more about the real universe, including human society and science and everything else, and doing my part to expand knowledge and communicate knowledge about the real world, sharing the real wonders of the universe with others and enjoying the process of discovery and understanding. I can also use my knowledge to help people, and to find better ways to help people, and I am doing all this because it means something to me, not because my religion told me to, or because I hope to win 'salvation'. The meaning my life has now has a lot more depth to it, and a lot more meaning during my own life(not after I'm dead) than the 'meaning' my old religion offered.

being humanist =) and help people

It seems to me that those who struggle with the knowledge that we have no absolute safety are the ones that feel they need an external authority in order to be "good." Many of us are afraid to face the fact we are not in control. In our own small world we have a realm of influence, all the more so if we give up the need for someone, anyone being in control. Doesn't this seem obvious? But many cannot allow themselves to see it.

Easy. Sleep in on Sundays and never give a thought to if I'm going to burn for eternity for eating shellfish or any of the other ridiculous notions written by the twisted hand of man....

I don't need life to be meaningful or have a point. I don't need a purpose. I'm just here to squeeze as much joy out of life as I can. I'm too busy petting all of the dogs to be worrying about meaning.

XBox

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.