12 5

LINK Spanish actor detained after ridiculing 'God and the Virgin Mary' | World news | The Guardian

By William77
Options Favorite Like

12 comments

The Greeks (and the Indians, Romans etc) had many fun gods. Then the Jews invented their jealous, unfair, vengeful, cruel, sadistic god, and happiness disappeared from our world for many dark centuries. At last came the Renaissance, then the Age of reason, then the Age of science, but now, thanks to the atmosphere engendered worldwide by Islam and by a coterie of "Made in America" cults, we are regressing to the age of bigoted intolerance, superstition and... Being Offended.

LoneJungle Level 5 Sep 14, 2018

In this day and age, utter madness

Hercules3000 Level 5 Sep 13, 2018

The Spanish Inquisition lives on it seems. Pity. You just can't torquemada nothin'.

Flyingsaucesir Level 6 Sep 13, 2018

(I stole that last line from Mel Brooks.)

I find it interesting that Spain's first Grand Inquisitor would have a name like Tomas de Torquemada. It roughly translates as "twist-burned" or "burned tower" (torre + quemada). For someone famous for torturing others with machines and fire to have such a name, it's almost too much of a coincidence, surreal, like the whole chapter in history is a work of fiction. Maybe this is how conspiracy theories like holocaust denial or climate science denial get started.

I suspect that the first part of his statement, "I shit on God," is "Cago en Dios," which I think is a pretty common swear phrase. Anyway, a friend of mine from Spain said it all the time. If that phrase is deemed blasphemous, then a good chunk of the country will be in trouble.

shayne69 Level 5 Sep 13, 2018

Are they shitting on his head, or directly in his mouth? This is important.

A huge load of "caca".

DUCHESSA Level 7 Sep 13, 2018

I truly wish there were a way to take a case to the World Court which would challenge every country that has blasphemy laws.
They need to be abolished. They serve no useful purpose.
Blasphemy is a completely victim-less crime.

KKGator Level 9 Sep 13, 2018

@Avicenna It isn't possible to show that they serve a useful purpose, because they don't. Is it really necessary to split hairs?

@Avicenna There is no way to ever get this in front of the World Court anyway.

@Avicenna I'm not arguing anything. I expressed a thought. You felt the need to pick it apart. Don't come at me with your condescending "advice" for winning an argument. We weren't/aren't having one.

FFS!! this could happen here in Ireland. The blasphemy law is up for removal shortly. I'm very confident that this insane superstitious law will be gone.

Happyheretic Level 6 Sep 13, 2018

WTF? In a EU country? Really? WTF? Really?

MiltsterD Level 7 Sep 13, 2018

@Avicenna
Pretty bleak prospect. I hope it doesn't go that way.

I think people in the US have been hassled over similar things.
Omnipotent being?

oldFloyd Level 6 Sep 13, 2018

Like driving while black?

@Flyingsaucesir yeah but they were the lovely people that brought you the Spanish Inquisition also.

Soon soon it will be us in the same shoes
Continue being liboral and bingo be

Morganfreeman Level 7 Sep 13, 2018

My friend, it is conservatives and the present administration who are pushing for a theocracy. Present administration pushing hard.

Edited

I only value end results and do trivial math compares
Liberals get into all sorts of dishonesty just to satisfy blood lust.
2009 oil barrel hike just to satisfy giants “demands” by using deadliest force in the world, Guantanamo bay concentration camp, increased number of troops deployed, increased military spending, territorial imperialistic lust.
They are imperialistic go getters hiding behind liberalism and humanity damn hypocrites liborils
All these dirty deeds are fairly enough for me to go around liberals as far away as I can

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!