Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tell them we all make our own Hell here on earth and that hate only dams the hater. They should focus on their own house before they try to judge mine.

It doesn't happen. People are usually too polite tell me directly. But you know they're thinking it.

M for me I was raised in such a direct and sometimes tactless home.... I’m that person and once in a while I throw s rock at the bee hive

@Millerski25 Lol. I eventually married a Korean, in part because the Korean frankness was such a refreshing change. Frankness can be painful but between that or always guessing what the other person is thinking, I prefer the frankness.

I just tell them I don't believe in hell. I also ask why would their loving God not let the worst of the worst into heaven to experience his love? Those would be who would need it most.

1). Usually I point out that this too is an unsupported assertion.
They have gone from using the imaginary carrot - believe in the loving Jesus - to the imaginary stick; fear Him for He is jealous and vengeful.

If I don't believe in the one, I'm not going to believe in the second.
Evidence, please.

1. I point out that burning me for ever for the sin of not being convinced by any particular flavor of theistic claims, is not the act of a moral god. Nor the act of a god who wants a relationship with me.

I don't recall any threats of "eternal damnation". But every now and then, some religious zombie will ask me "where do you think you go when you die?" To which, I always respond: "Well, that depends on how much you have. If you have lots of , you get an above-ground crypt, with flashing neon lights. If you have some , you get a vertical tombstone. A little , you get a horizontal, stone plate. And if you have zero , you end up in a crematory oven!".

I politely ask them where people who wish ill on others go...why is their behavior any less egregious than anything I do?

I don't feel like I owe anyone an explanation of my personal beliefs, much less those who are so closed minded and absolute in their thinking they have the right answer for everyone. Seriously, to "hell" with them, not me...

You a thinker after my own heart

Hey, don't threaten me with a good time!

I dunno, will they report me to Santa and the Easter Bunny, too?

I simply do not care.

I just ignore them because as I used to be a christian and finally saw the light, they will argue with you about a hopeless lie which is heaven and hell. Of course, people have fallen for this for yrs and they have to believe in something to clear their conscience. Fear keeps them trapped.

Fantastic! All the good bands & all the cool people are in hell, sounds good to me.

I view religious punishments as I would a man threatening to kill me with a teddy bear.

Laughter

Laugh hysterically!!!

I threaten them with freezing in Scandinavian hell forever if they don't worship Odin. 🙂

Depends, but it might go something like this:

Them: "You're going to hell."
Me: "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
Them: "I'm not judging you! God is judging you!"
Me: "Then why is that passage even in the bible? What does it mean, and why is it in there?"
Them: ...
Them: ...

lol...thats a good one. Ill have to work that into my rhetoric, if you don't mind! 🙂

I start laughing, raise my arms, and say "If god exists, let him strike me dead now". Been doing that for 40 years.

xyz123 Level 7 June 27, 2018

I ask them what evidence they have that these places exist at all.

Denker Level 7 June 24, 2018

Save it for the weak minded sheeple

Laugh! What a load of old B****cks.

Now I either laugh or tell them there is no such thing. I'm getting sassy in my old age.

"It has been estimated that Human Beings have conceived roughly 3,000 major deities in our relatively short existence. I don't believe in any of them so, yes, that does make me 100% atheist. But you only believe in one of them ... so you're like 99.99785% atheist yourself."

I prepare them for regression that the content of their talk and thought will give me a bad case of the farts and make me nauseated

That's great I love that comment

I vacate the conversation. No response is necessary.

ledj Level 4 May 26, 2018

"I'll take my chances"!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.