Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends on their own religious beliefs, after all Hell is NOT originally a Christian concept, ONLY came to be called Hell after the Norse religious belief of the Nordic Goddess Hel whose domain was named after her as she had special place for rapists, murderers and kiddy fiddlers, so I have no problem when I am condemned to Hell as it doesn't exist, IF I was to beleive in ANY Middle East beliefs then reading the Bible Hell as they call it is here on Earth, read what it says "And St Michael the Archangel defeated Satan and his hordes and God gave unto Satan as his domain" so if I was Christian Jewish or Islamic they ought to come to the conclusion we are all in Hel already.

Actually my usual answer is "Hope I go to Hel, because they 'They fuck in Hel, whereas they wank in heaven' THAT usually shuts them up. Apologies for being rude there.

I tell them to straighten up and fly right with their god, because when their jesus comes, I don't want him leaving their monkey-asses behind, ruining my vacation.

I just smile and walk on. If escape is not an option and you don't have a lot of backup non-response is a decent strategy against the theocratically obsessed.

I've had people tell me that I hope I find my way back to Christ. I give them the side-eye and either continue my day or say, "yeah, I hope I don't become that weak again."

Since you think it is your duty to decide where I should go maybe you would like to meet me there and we could discuss it over coffee or something.

I try not to laugh.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

I don't they have to figure it out from the conversation.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

with a pinch of salt

I tell them that Satan shakes in his shoes every time my old man's heart palpitates. Scared shitless he will be on his way to hell to take over and put El Diablo in his place. I survived 14 years with that sumbitch . Your hell doesn't concern me in the least. Pretend you have a little backbone bible thumper

I will save you a seat by the fire. Bring beer.

Not to be flippant, but I would walk away and stay away. To say such a thing suggests they are irrational, deluded or a zealot and they should be avoided.

See you there! Doesn't your wizard say something about judging others?

I wish I could keep from laughing--it really gets under some people's skins. But the idea of eternal punishment or damnation is just hilarious!

I am used to of that, but it sucks.

Hussy Level 4 Nov 27, 2017

I laugh my arse off

Not that it happens often, but I am known to have said " if you and your kind are gonna be in heaven, that's not where I want to go "

"I'll Race ya."

I saw in life same bad or goood things happen to religious people and non religious people. My mother was very religious and I saw her suffer a lot before her death. I may suffer or may not before I die. I believe in things that I experienced but not the imaginary ones. No one saw the hell or the heaven. No one. claim the god to be kind and a punisher does not go together. If there would be a loving god she would not punish anyone.

I laugh. I usually say something like, "Satan's been saving my seat."

When approached by a street preacher calling for "hellfire and damnation," I tell them, "I grew up in South Louisiana, boo. You CANNOT scare me with heat."

My finding was that 'Hell' is experienced in the church and by belonging to one.

I have taken, recently, to asking them where Hell is and how they know that. Questions throw them off balance and usually blunt aggressive approaches.

It use to piss me off when my children were told they were going to hell but I just reasoned with them and they handled it .They had their church experience and made up their own minds . I just tell them I don't believe in hell .

I tell them I already got kicked out of hell for selling ice cubes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.