Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

God is omniscient and therefore knew that his creation would sin and rebel against him. This begs the question. Was hell created for the benefit of mankind, "his children", or is god sadistic?

That is a good question. I have not had the pleasure of such an exchange with a believer. I think a polite "piss off" might be a good start in that conversational gambit.

I always like to say back to people that if the god they believe in will punish me for being the best person I can be and just not believing in them and forgive people who hurt people and are just not good people then I would rather be punished

I've had that so many times, it's a different response each time. If I know them personally and they get really annoying- to the point where my patience is all gone, which is hard to do but happens-- I point out things that they have done that's pretty bad according to their bible. When they say they have asked for forgiveness and got it from god, I ask them how they know? I point out that their conversations with god is subjective, and that of course their god is going to tell them what they want to hear. If they bring up the bible, I point out that one) the bible is not giving them live feed on their problems. 2) the people who wrote the bible believed in ridiculous notions like not wearing different types of fabrics, all the times god made mistakes and tried to cover up his mess up... If they say that it was the devil tempting them, I call bullshit. I tell them that there is no devil; they are responsible for their own actions and blaming it on the devil shows how weak they are for shifting blame on someone else rather than facing their weaknesses and actually confronting and working on their weaknesses.

I say "If you need to threaten people to follow you, then what you have is not a religion, but a bunch of terrorists. I don't negotiate with terrorists"

I have that happen just about the time the conversation is over. Walk away or hang up is good. One time a religious troll was getting nowhere with me and he suddenly went into 3rd person. He said the Holy Spirit was talking to him and told him how afraid I was of hell. Sorry. Not me. I outgrew all that when it became clear to me that it was nonsense. Anyway, it would have been more fun if he told me the Easter Bunny was talking to him. Maybe Casper the Friendly Ghost. Hell, Casper is so old today that his sheet has holes in it. He could be the Holy Ghost.

Usually laugh in their face, then reply, My God, the Easter Bunny, never hurt anyone! That usually gets a shocked horrors look on their face.

"I know I'm going to hell. I've got a one-way ticket."

"I'm in hell right now."

"Good, you'll have company when I get there."

I explain that if such a place exists, all my friends will be there anyhow, and that's where I want to be.

After I finish laughing at them, I usually tell them I am looking forward to being in hell with all the interesting people and avoiding the pitiful and small minded people they think will be in heaven.

Yes please, the women would be much more fun than upstairs, better music, better booze, I'm in.

This hasn't happened to me for a really long time I used to get it a lot as a teenager - It was about the time i realised I was old enough to do the finger (without any adults around to complain at my behaviour.) i was often with a crowd and I reckon we were pretty intimidating for lone hecklers.

You show me ONE person... Any person, who has suffered in Hell, and I'll buy your premise.

My son smiles sweetly and says, "okay. That's what you believe."

If someone tells me I must be born again, I tell them I would hate to inflict the pain of childbirth on my mum a second time.

"You might as well threaten me with Santa not coming down my chimney."

My second mother-in-law wore herself out saying things like, "But aren't you afraid of Hell?" She never could understand my response, which was, "I'm not afraid of any imaginary places, so no."

"Well, we shall see, won't we?"

I usually say:"If you are right, then I will see you there!

Good one!

I'd tell them that I'm about as afraid of hell as they are of the bad part of the Greek underworld.

A smirk and a chuckle, then I ask if they want to trade their dry cow for some beans.

Orly Level 5 Jan 6, 2018

(Threat): You will burn in hell!
(Response): Then so be it, see you there. (smile)

simple: I say: "They tell me that Hell is a lot like South Dakota only the weather is better.

The Hel or Hella myth ( Loki's Daughter ) was that she took in the unworthy. The expression " go to Hella was originally "go to Hella" It meant that a person was so worthless than nobody else would take their spirit. I have one friend that refers to Evangelicals as Hella's Army.

See you there. Then laugh maniacally

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.