Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I get told I am "going to hell" I smile and simper "meet you down there". Another good response is "your heaven would be my hell".

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 19, 2017

I smile & walk away.

I tell them to go to Hell lol

Ha I suppose you could say to them that if god is perfect and he gave us free will then any mistakes or choices you make in life is on god.if god sends you to hell then it is admitting it's mistake and is not perfect.if god puts you in heaven then you can say there is no justice for evil in the next life so why pray to a god like that. There is also the beneficent and willful god argument other Jesus died for our sins argument. Infact there are so many get out of hell free clauses that you never need fear god's wrath again.

Laugh ,ignore them,show them that my field of f@#?s is empty and barren.

I tell them I'm Satan and I'm fireproof. Then I ask, is your mouth getting dry and your vision blurred?
Works every time.

I try not to laugh, as I don’t feel the need to be disrespectful, so I try to smile and say something in line of ‘We shall see’, or ‘That is not your concern’.

Buwahahahahaaaaaaaa!

I laugh

KO3AK Level 4 Dec 18, 2017

I just tell them to blow it out their asses

All I hear is "Bippity Bobbity Boo."

What the hell is jahannam? Oh hell, duh, it’s hell.

Laugh.

I tend to laugh in their faces. Some consider that rude, but it's usually just a normal reflex. It's impossible to fear what you don't believe in.

I can't really comment, as I don't think I've ever been thus threatened. But I'm amazed, from the comments, at how many people have been.

Laugh heartily.

...uh, ok. If that's what you believe, that is what you will experience. I feel sorry for those people.

On the rare occasions when that has happened, I push the question back to them and ask if they think that I deserve to go to hell. They will often try to avoid the question by saying that it is not their decision and "only god can make that decision". I then ask if they agree that their god would send me to hell for using the 'free will' I have been given to not believe. Watching the cognitive dissonance and grappling for nonsensical excuses is entertainment of the highest order.

That's pretty good because it then means that if you go to hell for any mistakes it is actually good mistake for giving you free will. As god is perfect it their eyes then it causes a paradox.

Well, if it is a serious, respectful conversation, I try to inform them that the concept of Hell was implemented as a control feature, and try to point out the obvious contradictions between a loving God and a God that sends frail, fallible primates to an eternal deep fryer.

Threatening an atheist with hell is like threatening an adult that they won't get presents from Santa. I just laugh and walk away.

Mark Twain's "Letters from Earth" comes to mind. Why would I want to be surrounded by stupid people, who can't sing or play a musical instrument, try to do both to praise God? That cacophony alone would be Hell.

I think I'd rather be where all the philosophers, scientist, and interesting people are.

Laughter and merriment. Followed by walking away.

I laugh because the way Christian religion works even Hitler and Stalin are in Heaven. The get out of hell card is to simply confess your sins to Jesus and believe in him and all your sins are forgiven. Sorry if folks like Hitler and Stalin can be admitted to Heaven thats a club I'm not interested in spending an eternity with.

Reminds of the great line by the immortal Groucho Marx, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

I remind them only Christians are go to hell.

I tell them to prey for me. I don't think it has had any effect thus far, if indeed they have.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.