Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't respond usually.

Kero Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

i actually haven't had this happen in a long time, i usually just ignore it and try to change the subject

i laugh

I usually tell them the good thing about religious freedom is that they can worship a rock if they want, but I don't have to believe the rock talks.

well said, and with humor.

In the past it bothered me, because I felt like that person, was judging me, in the worst possible way, I felt trapped about how to measure up in their eyes! I did not believe that it came from God’s eyes...kind of judgement! Now, it does not phase me, this kind of judgement comes out of ignorance, on many levels! I know better! Not that I AM better...but that I know better!

Never happened.

zesty Level 7 Oct 7, 2018

First of all, I would ask them to come on in. Question, is the bible the inerrant word of God??? That's the dumbest question of all. I love to have people ask me that. You answered the question very well. Bible, both the Torah and the New testament were written by a group of people with many different agendas. How in the hell can you possibly claim that the Bible is inerrant when you can show many, many versions of the same thing. Where was Christ born??No one knows, probably Nazareth, certainly not Jerusalem, when was he born?? No one knows, probably somewhere between 6 B.C. and 10 A.D. Was he crucified on a Thursday, or on a Friday?? No one knows. Who witnessed the resurrection?? No one. What is this nonsense by the Nicene creed, one in three and three in one?? Ridiculous. The Bible is loaded with errors both big and small. Ask the guys to come and visit me.

I'd tell them to "bring it on" and when nothing happens...... to go screw themselves.

I say to him that people that judge others are bad and will not receive gifts from Santa and Easter bunny.
And then just let them fall in the trap XD.

Find them amusing and think how idiotic they are to believe such nonsense.

I would blow them off and go among my business. How I live my life now is none of there concern. Imaginary things can't hurt you.

I usually laugh it off because it’s not worth arguing over. I’m not going to change their minds. They’ve already drank the cool aid.

"My humble curse: May the shit have said and done come to life and kiss you." - Frank Zappa

I tend to laugh, or roll my eyes. but then, i don't get out much, and i don't tend to hang out with religious people, so it doesn't happen a lot.

g

Have you tried reasoning with a machine? Have you tried to doscuss with a computer program?
I never discuss to religous people..they are like machines wth programs in their main cpu with no thinking and analyzing ability. Then why would i bother myself

"You first, asshole..."

Laughter is the best medicine.

soquel Level 6 July 11, 2018

Heaven is the reward, hell is the punishment so the concept of heaven and hell are about religion's attempt at control. People that threaten with religious punishment are trying to control with fear. My response is very simple, Your beliefs are your beliefs, mine are mine.

I tell them that that is where all the fun people go...

You have to ask yourself just what such a place was created for. What does their supreme bean gain from having a place where people/souls are tortured for all eternity? If there's no escape from it, it's certainly not for reforming anyone. This God person has got to be one seriously screwed-up mental case to get so much pleasure from inflicting so much pain and torment on others, even if he's delegated the actual torturing to others so it seems like his hands are clean. But isn't he the one that judges who ends up in which place? Or did he at least spell out the guidelines to his delegates that take care of that chore for him?

Eternal torture for using his name incorrectly, or for sleeping with someone before you marry them. That's like cutting your child's arm off because they forgot to take the trash out one time - the punishment is so many orders of magnitude worse than the offense. I consider that a far greater crime than anything any human has done in the entire time there have been humans. The worse the punishment, the less their god deserves to be obeyed or respected.

Confronted with that, they just might start to realize that everything in their religion is based on scaring people into doing what they're told.

I was once told I would be going to Hell because I had taken communion and wasn't a baptised Catholic. I just replied that I didn't believe in it so that was highly unlikely.

I say "I'll see you in Valhalla if you die brave enough"

I don't get that very often. Those type of people aren't typically in my circle of friends and I don't seek the confrontation. On the rare occasion when people show concern for my "soul" I tend to forgive their ignorance. After all, I used think like they do. If they are open to discussion, I share my thoughts and listen to theirs too. Oh and... to threaten me with Hell or Jahannam is like coming at me swing a wet noodle or better still, an imaginary wet noodle. Not much of a threat. Again... don't get it often so humanity, in my circle, must be in a better place. Great question and as always... Think, share and appreciate.

I just blow them off. You can't scared of a place with doesn't exist. Most religious are very insecure that is why they need god and religion. We are all proof that you need the bs to survive in this hateful, judgemental world of ours.All atheist are liberated from bs of religion/god.

If they're Christian I just ask if Jesus said that the sinless can cast stones, and if they are sinless I just turn up Meshugga.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.