Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just tell them that I am not interested in their teachings and to please leave me alone.

By just approaching me by walking up or riding a bike.. they identify themselves as Mormon or Jehova’s witnesses or “ Bprn again”. Frankly I’m overly direct and to the point but with disrespecting their beliefs no matter how misguided they are. I often tell the I’m Semitic and Eurasian and fortunately impervious to their soliciting and pushing ones beliefs may be a sign of their own weakness or a reaction formation. By then I’m sure the view me as a heathen and leave asap

I tell them that I am not impressed by their threats. I state that I am no more afraid of Hell than I am afraid of being attacked by a werewolf or vampire when I walk around the lake.

I once saw a bumper sticker that sums it up nicely for me....”it’s your hell, you burn in it.”

My mother died when I was 11. A Christian woman told me (shortly after she died) that since my mother had not been "saved," she was going to burn eternally in hell. Yup, a Christian woman actually said that to an 11-year-old girl.

The Good News is that since my parents had raised me without religion and its accompanying fears, this revolting comment did not have the effect on me that this horrible woman might have intended. What did she intend? That I be saved and spare myself my mother's fate?

The comment didn't bother me at all when it happened. I just thought she was stupid. It bothered me later: what kind of person would say this to a child? What was in her mind?

How can I feel threaten with something I don't believe exist?

I just make fun. When they tell me I’m going straight to Hell, I simply say, “Of all the ways I’m going to Hell, STRAIGHT isn’t one of them.” One lady yelled at me, “I rebuke you in the name of Jesus.” And I responded, “DUDE, I’m dating his dad, he’s practically my son too.” When they threaten me with hell, I remind them that even hell is a better option than spending an eternity with them.”

Hell sounds like a great rave club

omg...fucken loved that and have said the same to those weirdos that have tried to convert me to their shit....and failed I applaud you and the life you want to live ....You are american it is going to to be harder to get the religious shit out of your system...good luck with that...xxx

Had that debate as well. Religious people always win. If I'm wrong it's going top be interesting. If they're wrong (done deal really) nothing happens. 🙂

I tell them I've been to Hell (it's in Michigan if you Google it) several times and that the bar is pretty good but the road to it isn't paved, with neither good intentions or asphalt.Usually causes themto suffer enough confusion for me to wander away.

The conformation bias is of course one bias religious people use over and over again. Almost impossible to show or to explain that there are many different sides to every story. Donna's post says it all. Very well done.

I don't even bother responding. Mostly I just walk away. If I have to say anything at all, I'll just say I'm not interested--and then walk away.

marga Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

I laugh in their ignorant petulant faces.

My response to someone threatening me with eternal perdition would be the same as my response if someone threatened to tickle me to death with an angel's wing feather.

Or as George Carlin said in one of his routines, "If there is no god, may he strike this audience dead. See? Nothing happened."

I say (Plagiarize), "Burn in Hell??? Every Atom in my body was forged in the belly of a Super Nova and it didn't hurt one bit!"
-And-
"I was dead for billions of years before I was born, and wasn't bothered by it in the least bit!" ~ Samuel Clemens

LAUGH! And tell them Santa isn't going to bring them anything for Christmas for being mean! LOL

Laugh.
I do count myself lucky to be born in a nation where being an athiest isn't a death sentence.

@Vanceonfire We should all remember that it wasn't always that way. And especially in the deep south, atheists can still 'disappear'.

I have always looked at that kind of condemnation with a sence of humour since I honestly look at the whole concept as silly superstition. And ya sometimes my verbal response can get me in trouble because WTF? lol

Punisment? Really? Hell? We are all in it right now!! This life is the greatest pusnisment there can be!! Or haven't you noticed?

I usually kill them and their immediate families.
If I'm going to hell I've probably very little to lose so may as well get my moneys worth 🙂

I say, "Better than nothing!" and let them ponder that.

I just say "Okay." If it is an uneasy situation i.e. one that could turn against you, walk away.

Oh, c'mon now.... Ya'll are just bein' silly.

You might as well threaten me with the Easter Bunny.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.