Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (426 - 450)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually, I think I have finally come up with an answer. With whom would you rather spend eternity? A bunch of self-righteous, pious, holier than thous, playing harps and sitting on a cloud, or hangin' with the greatest sinners, debauches, sex-freaks, artists, and general miscreants throughout history? I'd just say, "If you're all heaven has to offer, I'm takin' hell. Hell is clearly, more fun."

Usually point out that faith based threats only work against the faithful. might as well be threatening to get a gang of leprechauns to beat me up.

I just smile and say"OK".

I've had that so many times, it's a different response each time. If I know them personally and they get really annoying- to the point where my patience is all gone, which is hard to do but happens-- I point out things that they have done that's pretty bad according to their bible. When they say they have asked for forgiveness and got it from god, I ask them how they know? I point out that their conversations with god is subjective, and that of course their god is going to tell them what they want to hear. If they bring up the bible, I point out that one) the bible is not giving them live feed on their problems. 2) the people who wrote the bible believed in ridiculous notions like not wearing different types of fabrics, all the times god made mistakes and tried to cover up his mess up... If they say that it was the devil tempting them, I call bullshit. I tell them that there is no devil; they are responsible for their own actions and blaming it on the devil shows how weak they are for shifting blame on someone else rather than facing their weaknesses and actually confronting and working on their weaknesses.

I laugh and tell them how stupid that is.

I laugh, say "whatever", or tell them to get lost.

Ha ha ha ha...

I just move on.

marga Level 7 Feb 26, 2018

It's a meaningless threat.

Uncontrollable laughter followed by a thank you for the hilarity!

Just laugh and tell them I don't believe in myths. And I prefer warm climates.

When I was a kid and sleeping on the sofa sometimes, the JEHOVAH WITNESSES came over! Mom had them in, just like the Avon Lady and Fuller Brush Man. It really cracked me up hearing this coffee clatch go on for hours!

You might as well threaten me with the Easter Bunny.

I laugh my head off.........lol

Oh, c'mon now.... Ya'll are just bein' silly.

I just say "Okay." If it is an uneasy situation i.e. one that could turn against you, walk away.

I say, "Better than nothing!" and let them ponder that.

I usually kill them and their immediate families.
If I'm going to hell I've probably very little to lose so may as well get my moneys worth 🙂

Punisment? Really? Hell? We are all in it right now!! This life is the greatest pusnisment there can be!! Or haven't you noticed?

I have always looked at that kind of condemnation with a sence of humour since I honestly look at the whole concept as silly superstition. And ya sometimes my verbal response can get me in trouble because WTF? lol

Laugh.
I do count myself lucky to be born in a nation where being an athiest isn't a death sentence.

@Vanceonfire We should all remember that it wasn't always that way. And especially in the deep south, atheists can still 'disappear'.

LAUGH! And tell them Santa isn't going to bring them anything for Christmas for being mean! LOL

It depends. For the most part I try to be nice but sometimes they get me in a special mood and I say "Go f...yourself along with your ignorance."

I'll be in good company, then.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.