Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't help but chuckle, and i say "If there is a hell, then they will have the best music, the best beer and weed, and all my friends will be there"

I tell them that if hell exists I probably belong there anyway so bring it on!

mjpwl Level 3 Oct 20, 2017

I laugh!

I have an expressive face. Do not need to say anything, give them 'the look'

my god is a nice and doesn't believe in that!

mzee Level 7 Oct 19, 2017

Tell them I don't believe in an afterlife.

"Be gone with your tired old tales."

May you burn in hell ? my reply " What makes you think I'm not already there ? "

I find their disconnect to be rather curious. How do I even know they're working for the "good" side?

I usually just say, "your hell seems quite interesting place, more interesting than your heaven anyway." That usually does it.

The notion of "Hell" being a place of Flaming Brimstone is exceedingly silly. Once the physical body dies we no longer have nerve endings to experience such physical pain. It's a "marketing ploy" to scare people into believing their BS. It's fun to give them pure logic to disagree with them. They get all dumbfounded and start repeating themselves since they have no REAL responses to intelligence.

Usually laugh a bit.. and explain that it's the equivalent of me threatening them with the actions of voldemort, or the orc horde.. I then usually explain, that if their god is real.. I wouldn't want to spend any time with the narcissistic mass murder, and will enjoy the company of any alternative.

"how did you come to that conclusion?"

I just laugh and walk away.

and I presume Santa Clause is going to give me coal for Christmas this year also? Tell your imaginary friend that he's kind of a jerk and nobody deserves to be tortured for all of eternity.

this would depend on whom was making the threat, but generally I would simply ignore it or make a sarcastic comment in return

If there is a God and he doesn't understand why I don't believe than he is not the God they talk about.

I laugh and ask them to prove it.

They really don't unless they're strangers, but if they do it's usually met with humor & sarcasm.

Often I laugh, sometimes I say, Whoo hooo at least I am not going to be bored!

I just kinda stare at them blankly and shrug or say ok.

mostly laughter I mean it;s the same thing as threating me with beating with a piece of boiled pasta...but at least the pasta exist;s

By my belief system which is to use facts and not myths I am pretty certain that no such place does exists. Furthermore , I find that a religion that is supposed to be all forgiving would condemn people who have differing beliefs to hell completely nonsense.

Laughter- after all they are trying to be funny- aren't they?

I feel a range of emotions with different people. I usually pause to decide how to respond.( I am getting better at that) knowing that some people that I care about are fragile. If the person is an arrogant a-hole, I usually just laugh.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.