Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I sometime am very sarcastic and other times I just let it go because I see they are fragile and could be hurt easily by my sarcasm.

Laughter... at least on the inside.

With a simple it doesn't exist or no such place.

Bring it on

Hah, love it!

If I don't believe in your vengeful god how can I fear him?

Jake Level 1 Oct 15, 2017

Well, something had to have prompted that to cause them to say such things. Depending upon what started it, my response may range from laughter to engaging them in argument over their ideas.

The religion I belonged to didn't believe in hell, however they did believe God would kill non-believers during Armageddon. To that I would say, I'd rather die with the other billions of people in Armageddon than live in "paradise" worshiping a God who would do that.

Laugh at them and say “what type of deity would think up burning people forever, that is insanity and think that over and hope the other God is not the real one’. My exact words. Shuts 90 percent of them up on the spot

I just laugh in their face.. let them know how duped they have been by the brainwashing techniques they ignorantly think to be true. People fear what they do not know.

Incredulity!

I told them that I prefer hell because there is all the fun and laugh.

Lobo Level 1 Oct 13, 2017

I tell them that according to their own book, God and his "host" are the only ones who can send someone to heaven or hell, and that by condemning me to one or the other is blasphemy, and also wishing harm upon their neighbor, therefore, they just damned themselves at least twofold.

Chead5 Level 4 Oct 13, 2017

generally humor or sarcasm

I ask them to show me even just ONE man or woman who has actually gone to any of those places, and provided some kind of proof that they actually exist! No T-shirts? No coffee mugs or key fobs? How does one get there? Is there a special bus, plane, train or automobile to get there? If you're really dead, how would you ever know that you had arrived? If it's not you that goes there, but some intangible part, it's not really you then, right? So then if it's not really you, why would you care? Can you actually feel any pain or pleasure that someone else is experiencing? Does anybody sit up nights worrying about what fate befell their old shoes, belt or socks??
There is absolutely NO logical argument that can be made to support the actual existence of any paradise, heaven, hell or otherwise. If there is one to be made, why has no one made it yet??

Randy

I have them read the sections of "Revelation" that describe heaven, and point out how fucking boring that sounds.

Ya, but you can walk on streets of purest gold--- think even soft metal like gold would be hard on the boots- would rather see and walk on grass anyway.

@Diogenes You could, except you'll be on your knees prostrating yourself before the golden throne for all eternity

To be honest, when threatened with punishment and / or damnation, I simply tell the person damning me that I respect their right to have that belief, but I do not believe it will happen, and to leave it at that.

I say if there is a hell all my friends will be there and if christianity is correct then heaven will be full of murders and rapists who have asked for forgiveness and managed to sneak in. So stay up there with your bible verses and hymns and crusty judgemental people. Ill take hell over heaven any day

I love the Norse idea myself, Hel is the Goddess of the underworld according to them and she has a special place set aside JUST for murderers, child molesters and backstabbers, it is called rather unimaginatively Hel, cool idea to call the nastiest afterlife place after the very one that is going to torture the nastiest of all for ever.

And besides, most of the engineers will be going there as well - by the time we get there they will have it air-conditioned.

I'd tell them the truth and say that I'd already been there. It's a small town in Michigan.

SamL Level 7 Oct 11, 2017

We used to go to Hell for pizza.. i think it was in a churches basement? It was a long time ago, but as a kid, I thought it hilarious we were going to Hell!!

@mitelheem Now I wanna go to hell. No fair.

and of course in the winter, Hell does indeed freeze over!

I honestly just laugh usually. It's like if someone came up to basically ANYONE and told them they were going to Azkaban because they didn't believe in Dumbledore...Like, I'm sorry, but I'm going to laugh my ass off at you.

Pretty much my attitude. I laugh and tell them I will worry about hell soon as Tinkerbell kicks my ass

"If you're going to heaven I'd rather be in hell!"

IF you don't mind the swearing, I am constanly saying "Fucking Hell" and anyone that says that is not nice my relpy is "Well they fuck in Hell and they wank in heaven so I WANT to go to hell" and then smile real nice and sweet, except they can't see it for all the hair round me mouth

Can't say that I've ever been threatened with that, or it's been so long, I don't recall. I would assume if someone did tell me I was going to hell, I'd probably just chuckle and walk away...

Has not happened, yet.
But I'd be inclined to tell them that saying that is naughty, and so Santa won't bring them presents.
And try to explain that threats of Hell make as much sense to me as my Santa threat does to them.

Allan Level 5 Oct 8, 2017

i discuss them that there is no evidence on the punishment existence.

I laugh at them and politely suggest that they should not be deluding themselves.

I don’t think I’ve ever been threaded with hell, etc., but if I was I’d let them know that I’d rather chill with Satan any day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.