Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just smile and walk on. If escape is not an option and you don't have a lot of backup non-response is a decent strategy against the theocratically obsessed.

I tell them to straighten up and fly right with their god, because when their jesus comes, I don't want him leaving their monkey-asses behind, ruining my vacation.

Actually my usual answer is "Hope I go to Hel, because they 'They fuck in Hel, whereas they wank in heaven' THAT usually shuts them up. Apologies for being rude there.

I laugh.

Ariah Level 1 Oct 3, 2017

I laugh at them and tell them if that's the worst they can do, just run along and play.

Mark Twain says, “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

I say, "Every atom in my body was forged in the belly of Super Nova, so hell's got to do better than that!"

Also, "IF" there is something that is going to leave my body, then torture away. I left all my nerve endings <----back there!

I use the same Mark Twain quote. I like how you added the nerve endings part....so....stealing!

My inclination would be to try and have a good conversation. But not with much expectation as if they go that far they are probably not open to much.

HaHaHa

zesty Level 7 Feb 18, 2019

perfectly executed answer

... I laugh and laugh...

I have done a number of things. I've asked if they are afraid of being judged by Anubis. I've told them "yeah, not only that but Santa won't bring me gifts, either". I've laughed. I sometimes am actually pretty calm about explaining why it would be stupid for me to worry about something I do not believe is real, but that rarely makes an impression, their eyes just glaze over and they suffer a moment of cognitive dissonance and then go on with their prattle as though it never happened.

I try not to laugh and keep my sanity because no one wants to see me snapped

"cool story, bro"

Nothing, absolutely nothing, I leave, walk away, would not associate knowingly with anybody of that mind set.

I usually laugh it off. Although it's an extremely hateful thing to say to someone, there's just no point in arguing with someone that thinks like this!

If they’re Christian, I tell them judge not lest you be judged.

Jimm Level 4 Aug 26, 2018

Having defended abortion clinics in San JOse California years ago, I simply ignored the haters and the dammers . I have been threatened with damnation and called silly names like Satanic by these types. Means not a thing to me. consider the source!

I usually laugh a little bit, smile, and walk away.

I ask them what religion they believe, then with that I ask them how much time they spent following other religions (Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindi, etc). When they say they have never practiced another religion, I ask them how much arrogance you have to know you got the right one on the first try out of the 3 thousand+ others that have existed over the years. Then when they say "I just know"...I reply back that "I'm not going to hell, because I just know!" Love seeing the confusion on their faces as their jaw just sit there on the floor and that deer in headlights look glazes over their eyes!

Have you tried reasoning with a machine? Have you tried to doscuss with a computer program?
I never discuss to religous people..they are like machines wth programs in their main cpu with no thinking and analyzing ability. Then why would i bother myself

Nothing. Maybe a shrug. No biggie to me. I don't believe that stupidity. So I just move on.

Laughter!

Bring it on!

Then I realize they live with these fears as reality, and I feel sorry for them.

Even from a religion standpoint hell is there only for manipulation. All verses that translate to hell are Either Gethsemane, Hades or Tartarus.

Gethsemane is a garden near Jerusalem.
Hades is the afterlife of Greek Mythology.
Tartarus is Hades' basement.

So unless you are afraid of olives or Zeus, the concept is there to "scare" people into obedience. Tragic that it worked so well people still have nightmares today.

People tend to throw insults and threats that they fear themselves. Trump calls people stupid and dishonest, when he fears it is true of himself. People scream hell when they fear they will join you there.

I worry a lot more about heat from global warming than I do from hellfire.

It makes me laugh inside and feel sorry for them

When people tell me I am going to hell, I usually ask them, "which one? Michigan or Norway?"

A friend told me if you don't believe in God you're going to hell. It really hurt. I talked to her about it. She apologized, but I lost a littler respect for her. She said she went to hell.smh.

Even now she probably believes it, indoctrination is real.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.