Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (501 - 525)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try to be respectful as long as they are. I tell them that I don't believe in their afterlife and its my concern not theirs. If they get belligerent, I try to separate myself from them and if I can't I give them the old "its your hell, you burn in it".

"Um, no thanks. The Flying Spaghetti Monster has better plans for me."

I can not take the person or the threat seriously. I do the eeeeeewwwwwwweeeeee spooky boogyman gonna getcha creepy fingers geture.

Hahahaha, I love this!

It depends on who's there. If going to Hell means I can meet Aristotle, Nietzsche, Evariste Galois, Alan Turing, Carl Sagan, Jean-Paul Sartre, and more of my heroes, then I tell them I can't wait to go to Hell. Also I'm pretty sure Hell will have some kick-ass heavy metal playing 24/7.

Dylan Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

I simply tell them to see help for their mental problem.

I tell them that if a god or goddess would punish me for following my heart, for being kind and understanding toward others and trying to make the world a better place, then he/she/it doesn't deserve my adoration.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

I say that heaven and hell are here and now, that I am responsible for my own elevation or demise in every moment.

Orlyf Level 3 Oct 7, 2017

I laugh.

Possibly comment on how it'll be a party and that with all the other scientists we'll have probably figured out some geothermal powered cooling system. If they persist then I'll pull out my notebook and start explaining science to them until they get bored/frustrated and walk away.

I ussuallytry to just walk away from them, you can not argue with a fanatic, its not worth it.

Laughter is always appropriate.

"You first!"

Why would an all loving caring God want to punish the people he loves.

I just say, "I hope that happens to me"

I tell them that's why I'm getting cremated. HAVE TO GET USED TO THE HEAT! Don't really care what others think. If you don't like my views, leave me alone.

It's your hell, you burn in it. I choose a different path, thank you very much. 🙂

You show me ONE person... just one... who is suffering in hell, and I'll listen to what you have to say.

"Awesome, see you there".

"ill be waiting for ya with a picnic basket"

I laugh.

Ariah Level 1 Oct 3, 2017

"Now there's your loving god. Have an excellent day."

I say "If you want to have a discussion about religion. One where we are not trying to prove each other wrong but trying to understand each other then I am in. If you want to force your belief down my throat I have no interest in that conversation or continuing to acknowledge your presences."

I usually say, "good, all my friends will be there too."

Often, I agree. But, remind them firmly that I don't believe in such things, so it doesn't matter.

I raise both my arms and in my best Doc Holiday voice: "say when..."

"Go fuck yourself" usually does it for me.

Derek Level 2 Oct 2, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.