Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (526 - 550)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I ask them if they believe I deserve it.
If they say yes, then I ask why. If they say no, then I ask why would I be punished then.
I like to put the morality of what they're saying onto them. Most of the time they'll avoid the question of deserve, by saying it's not up to them, or "you send yourself." Because either they believe I deserve it (which I've never gotten someone to say to my face) or their god is punishing me for bad reasons.
For Christians I like to then point out that I could be a good charitable person my whole life and not believe and go to hell, while someone could be a murdered, rapist, torturer, etc. and get saved right before they die... and what happens to them. The concept of hell just shows how immoral that thought process is, because it has nothing to do with deserve, just submission to a belief for fear of punishment.

Very good like that comment very logical

I usually laugh because they are so earnest and funny and afraid for me na dstart to cry and all that silliness and it seems to always be all about them and their feelings no one ever knocks on my door to ask if I would like them to do something for me - They Just take - they take up my time - they take up my patience they take up my warm feelings for others and i wish they would go somewhere else and get a grip. Its totally all about their neediness.

Would these punishments include beheading or are just thinking about the punishments in the afterlife?

"Ok."

I ask them where hell is. Why they think that is a good reason to believe in untrue ideas, because the Muslim he’ll seems worse to me...

I blow them off. They're empty threats based on fairy tales and other bs.

An involuntary giggle

Laugh at them....or worse.

Not counting keyboard warriors, I really don't know many religious people that are rude enough to openly threaten someone with Hell. When someone does talk about the fear of Hell I usually point out that avoiding Christain Hell means dooming yourself to Muslim Hell. After that they tend to admit that they aren't actually afraid of another religion's punishment and the conversation ends with a mutual admission that it's not worth living in fear of an unseen fire.

I sure as fuck don't want to live in eternity with people like you and praising some really insecure fucking boogie man in the sky... I mean seriously... all powerful creator gets all bent out of shape if it's creation doesn't worship it... Yeah if the boogie man in the sky is real he/she/it is a fucking ass hole and I stand opposed reguardless of the consequences.

I was once 'accosted' by Jehovah's witnesses who quickly went to their main selling point: Armageddon. I immediately told them I had chosen my side and it wasn't theirs. They quickly exited my domicile.

I am just as intimidated by threats to turn me into a road.

I feel sorry for people who live in fear of imaginary punishment for equally imaginary transgressions.

JimG Level 8 Apr 14, 2018

Roman's 3:10-12, None are righteous, no, not one. 1 Cor. 6:9, Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of god?... Don't sweat it, we're all unrighteous and we're all going to hell.

It depends. For the most part I try to be nice but sometimes they get me in a special mood and I say "Go f...yourself along with your ignorance."

I laugh my head off.........lol

If condemned, depending on the person doing it, I just chuckle and say I don't believe the way I used to. If they persist, I might say that "Not everyone believes like that." I usually don't bother to implicate myself, to avoid annoying arguments.

When someone informs me that according to their beliefs I am sinful/immoral/going to burn in hell?

I let them know that as a Taoist, my belief is that they are perfectly doing what they should, and that I believe they should go on believing that if they want to.

I am not that devout a Taoist, but it does take the wind out of a crusading monotheists sails.

I tell them if they don't leave me alone I'll rip their face off, laugh and walk off, this is Waco, this is Texas, if they want to go pray for me, let them.

Hell might be a good place for some R and R after this life!

Not if AC/DC gets there first!

But there will be Rock 😀

I say that if god is all knowing, unlike mankind, god will know the goodness in my heart, that I strive to improve world in my own small way, so I don’t fear god.

Yes what I shared with my son from early on is teaching him that "santa clause" doesn't exist

I tell them it is their religion, their god, their hell, it exists only in their mind and it has nothing to do with me and affects me in no way.

Either laugh or shrug.

Hmmm. Interesting.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

It's fine.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.