Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Prove to me at a hell exist then we can discuss
It they usually just walk away with a confessed look on the face

i actually haven't had this happen in a long time, i usually just ignore it and try to change the subject

I usually explain to them that their religion is really new in terms of religions through time. If there is a deity, and that deity is going to punish me it would not be the one they think it would be. Then they typically go away.

I laugh and tell them to hold their breath. And I remind them that I believe in energy and kharma (as far as receiving what you put into the universe) so, even if they DO believe that, they willl receive their comeuppance far sooner than I will go to hell. LOL

Don’t say sorry when you are not. I clarified that what I mean by karma is that you receive from the universe, what you put into it. I don’t know a better word for it, so I call it karma. Your response was thought out. So you are not sorry, you are judgemental. Perhaps a byproduct of the religion you no longer follow. Please don’t tell me what to call myself. And I won't tell you what to call yourself. Don’t come for me when I didn't send for you

I don't respond usually.

Kero Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

I always tell them that until i die and experience it but for now i do not believe what them or their holy book says and anytime i see that i see defeat in their eyes.

there isnt any prof of such thing, so there is no need to be afraid of it.

Very well put.

I just laugh and roll my eyes up...

I don't sweat the Easter bunny either.

Mojo Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

I simply say that I could never believe in a god that would punish one for eternity! Now who is evil??? So they "say" grace, peace, empathy, love, compassion for others comes from within a person, unfortunately everyone is not nice, however what a boring world it would be if we were all the same!!! Very simply just treat others how you yourself would like to be treated and never feel that you (have to) defend your personal beliefs and feeling. Also, who are you or I to judge anyone? Pat F.

Come on people feedback!!!

Who are we to judge anyone, anyway?

Now, aaaaahhh, for lack of words, I've a short vocabulary, I would say that to judge is a "God-given gift" - discernment - a very important faculty of each person in order to survive so you won't have a hard time window-shopping or choosing freebies in the net. You don't have to be a King Solomon to be a good judge of book covers.

You "simply say that you could never believe in a god that would punish one for eternity!" So, it's okay for you to believe in a god so long as it won't punish you for eternity?

Who is evil? depends on your intuition, you perception and discernment. what is evil to you might be a blessing to others.

You said it yourself, "Very simply just treat others how you yourself would like to be treated and never feel that you (have to) defend your personal beliefs and feeling."
. . . Just let them be. If they don't just let you be, well, seek life elsewhere!

It would be a wonderful world if all of us are the same in wanting to live life in perfect harmony. I wouldn't think that's a boring way to go.

Compassion, empathy, love and many other virtues are all inside us, we only need to tap on them . . .

. . . and there's one very important virtue that you MUST always have - PATIENCE

If I don't believe, I don't have a fear and simply ask a question that where is God, the world is in need now.
21st century.

Jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja

i just flip them off

Laughter. I counter with telling them to watch out for the boogeyman and make sure not to step on any cracks.

How can you threaten someone who doesn't believe in the same things as you do. I just chuckle and tell them okay and then chuckle again.

Being polite is always good but it would be better to stay away from those kind of circles cause they might misinterpret your chucles as an insult

Laugh at how stupid it is

It is immature, and just shows that they don't have any other logical thing to convince me other than threats. It is similar to beating a child instead of reasoning with them.

mtn85 Level 2 Oct 2, 2017

Laughter...

"Go fuck yourself" usually does it for me.

Derek Level 2 Oct 2, 2017

I raise both my arms and in my best Doc Holiday voice: "say when..."

Often, I agree. But, remind them firmly that I don't believe in such things, so it doesn't matter.

I usually say, "good, all my friends will be there too."

I say "If you want to have a discussion about religion. One where we are not trying to prove each other wrong but trying to understand each other then I am in. If you want to force your belief down my throat I have no interest in that conversation or continuing to acknowledge your presences."

"Now there's your loving god. Have an excellent day."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.