Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You have to ask yourself just what such a place was created for. What does their supreme bean gain from having a place where people/souls are tortured for all eternity? If there's no escape from it, it's certainly not for reforming anyone. This God person has got to be one seriously screwed-up mental case to get so much pleasure from inflicting so much pain and torment on others, even if he's delegated the actual torturing to others so it seems like his hands are clean. But isn't he the one that judges who ends up in which place? Or did he at least spell out the guidelines to his delegates that take care of that chore for him?

Eternal torture for using his name incorrectly, or for sleeping with someone before you marry them. That's like cutting your child's arm off because they forgot to take the trash out one time - the punishment is so many orders of magnitude worse than the offense. I consider that a far greater crime than anything any human has done in the entire time there have been humans. The worse the punishment, the less their god deserves to be obeyed or respected.

Confronted with that, they just might start to realize that everything in their religion is based on scaring people into doing what they're told.

Laugh. As them to prove it.

I start laughing, raise my arms, and say "If god exists, let him strike me dead now". Been doing that for 40 years.

xyz123 Level 7 June 27, 2018

I would say to them it was a risk i was prepared to take as Hell doesn’t exist. Neither, I would point out is there a heaven either, so their idea of being rewarded by going there was also delusional.

We Jews all know “ where headed for hell” according to unnamed Christian sects or denominations

I tell them I'll meet them there Hippocrates are what they are..

Drew69 Level 7 June 27, 2018

Meh. Heaven and Hell are the same thing, aren't they?

Violet Level 4 June 26, 2018

You realize you're threatening me with something that doesn't exist, don't you? You might as well threaten to punch me in the aura and poke out my chakras.

Then again, if your Hell and Heaven did exist, I can't think of a torture that would be worse than being surrounded by people like you.

I tell them if Satan exists, bring it on and hold my arms open wide. I've seen a couple step back. Or I just laugh at them.

xyz123 Level 7 June 25, 2018

I was once told I would be going to Hell because I had taken communion and wasn't a baptised Catholic. I just replied that I didn't believe in it so that was highly unlikely.

I ask them what evidence they have that these places exist at all.

Denker Level 7 June 24, 2018

Save it for the weak minded sheeple

Laugh and walk. Walk. And laugh.

Laugh! What a load of old B****cks.

Now I either laugh or tell them there is no such thing. I'm getting sassy in my old age.

I don't worry. As Douglas Adams once wrote, all the priests will be closest to the fire.

"It has been estimated that Human Beings have conceived roughly 3,000 major deities in our relatively short existence. I don't believe in any of them so, yes, that does make me 100% atheist. But you only believe in one of them ... so you're like 99.99785% atheist yourself."

I smile and say "most scientists will go there and they will figure out a way to install air conditioning so we do not have to roast.

SKH78 Level 8 June 15, 2018

Mine is simple. how can you threaten me with hell when I don't believe in it

I say "I'll see you in Valhalla if you die brave enough"

I don't get that very often. Those type of people aren't typically in my circle of friends and I don't seek the confrontation. On the rare occasion when people show concern for my "soul" I tend to forgive their ignorance. After all, I used think like they do. If they are open to discussion, I share my thoughts and listen to theirs too. Oh and... to threaten me with Hell or Jahannam is like coming at me swing a wet noodle or better still, an imaginary wet noodle. Not much of a threat. Again... don't get it often so humanity, in my circle, must be in a better place. Great question and as always... Think, share and appreciate.

I just ignore them. Even if it's true, I wouldn't want to be in their version of Heaven, anyway.

I laugh and tel them to bring it on.

I just blow them off. You can't scared of a place with doesn't exist. Most religious are very insecure that is why they need god and religion. We are all proof that you need the bs to survive in this hateful, judgemental world of ours.All atheist are liberated from bs of religion/god.

I prepare them for regression that the content of their talk and thought will give me a bad case of the farts and make me nauseated

That's great I love that comment

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.