Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I honestly just laugh usually. It's like if someone came up to basically ANYONE and told them they were going to Azkaban because they didn't believe in Dumbledore...Like, I'm sorry, but I'm going to laugh my ass off at you.

Pretty much my attitude. I laugh and tell them I will worry about hell soon as Tinkerbell kicks my ass

I'd tell them the truth and say that I'd already been there. It's a small town in Michigan.

SamL Level 7 Oct 11, 2017

We used to go to Hell for pizza.. i think it was in a churches basement? It was a long time ago, but as a kid, I thought it hilarious we were going to Hell!!

@mitelheem Now I wanna go to hell. No fair.

and of course in the winter, Hell does indeed freeze over!

I say if there is a hell all my friends will be there and if christianity is correct then heaven will be full of murders and rapists who have asked for forgiveness and managed to sneak in. So stay up there with your bible verses and hymns and crusty judgemental people. Ill take hell over heaven any day

I love the Norse idea myself, Hel is the Goddess of the underworld according to them and she has a special place set aside JUST for murderers, child molesters and backstabbers, it is called rather unimaginatively Hel, cool idea to call the nastiest afterlife place after the very one that is going to torture the nastiest of all for ever.

And besides, most of the engineers will be going there as well - by the time we get there they will have it air-conditioned.

To be honest, when threatened with punishment and / or damnation, I simply tell the person damning me that I respect their right to have that belief, but I do not believe it will happen, and to leave it at that.

I have them read the sections of "Revelation" that describe heaven, and point out how fucking boring that sounds.

Ya, but you can walk on streets of purest gold--- think even soft metal like gold would be hard on the boots- would rather see and walk on grass anyway.

@Diogenes You could, except you'll be on your knees prostrating yourself before the golden throne for all eternity

I ask them to show me even just ONE man or woman who has actually gone to any of those places, and provided some kind of proof that they actually exist! No T-shirts? No coffee mugs or key fobs? How does one get there? Is there a special bus, plane, train or automobile to get there? If you're really dead, how would you ever know that you had arrived? If it's not you that goes there, but some intangible part, it's not really you then, right? So then if it's not really you, why would you care? Can you actually feel any pain or pleasure that someone else is experiencing? Does anybody sit up nights worrying about what fate befell their old shoes, belt or socks??
There is absolutely NO logical argument that can be made to support the actual existence of any paradise, heaven, hell or otherwise. If there is one to be made, why has no one made it yet??

Randy

generally humor or sarcasm

I tell them that according to their own book, God and his "host" are the only ones who can send someone to heaven or hell, and that by condemning me to one or the other is blasphemy, and also wishing harm upon their neighbor, therefore, they just damned themselves at least twofold.

Chead5 Level 4 Oct 13, 2017

I told them that I prefer hell because there is all the fun and laugh.

Lobo Level 1 Oct 13, 2017

Incredulity!

I just laugh in their face.. let them know how duped they have been by the brainwashing techniques they ignorantly think to be true. People fear what they do not know.

Laugh at them and say “what type of deity would think up burning people forever, that is insanity and think that over and hope the other God is not the real one’. My exact words. Shuts 90 percent of them up on the spot

The religion I belonged to didn't believe in hell, however they did believe God would kill non-believers during Armageddon. To that I would say, I'd rather die with the other billions of people in Armageddon than live in "paradise" worshiping a God who would do that.

Well, something had to have prompted that to cause them to say such things. Depending upon what started it, my response may range from laughter to engaging them in argument over their ideas.

If I don't believe in your vengeful god how can I fear him?

Jake Level 1 Oct 15, 2017

Bring it on

Hah, love it!

With a simple it doesn't exist or no such place.

Laughter... at least on the inside.

I sometime am very sarcastic and other times I just let it go because I see they are fragile and could be hurt easily by my sarcasm.

I feel a range of emotions with different people. I usually pause to decide how to respond.( I am getting better at that) knowing that some people that I care about are fragile. If the person is an arrogant a-hole, I usually just laugh.

Laughter- after all they are trying to be funny- aren't they?

By my belief system which is to use facts and not myths I am pretty certain that no such place does exists. Furthermore , I find that a religion that is supposed to be all forgiving would condemn people who have differing beliefs to hell completely nonsense.

mostly laughter I mean it;s the same thing as threating me with beating with a piece of boiled pasta...but at least the pasta exist;s

I just kinda stare at them blankly and shrug or say ok.

Often I laugh, sometimes I say, Whoo hooo at least I am not going to be bored!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.