Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was once 'accosted' by Jehovah's witnesses who quickly went to their main selling point: Armageddon. I immediately told them I had chosen my side and it wasn't theirs. They quickly exited my domicile.

I am just as intimidated by threats to turn me into a road.

I feel sorry for people who live in fear of imaginary punishment for equally imaginary transgressions.

JimG Level 8 Apr 14, 2018

I just make fun. When they tell me I’m going straight to Hell, I simply say, “Of all the ways I’m going to Hell, STRAIGHT isn’t one of them.” One lady yelled at me, “I rebuke you in the name of Jesus.” And I responded, “DUDE, I’m dating his dad, he’s practically my son too.” When they threaten me with hell, I remind them that even hell is a better option than spending an eternity with them.”

Hell sounds like a great rave club

"I'll take my chances"!

God is omniscient and therefore knew that his creation would sin and rebel against him. This begs the question. Was hell created for the benefit of mankind, "his children", or is god sadistic?

Roman's 3:10-12, None are righteous, no, not one. 1 Cor. 6:9, Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of god?... Don't sweat it, we're all unrighteous and we're all going to hell.

omg...fucken loved that and have said the same to those weirdos that have tried to convert me to their shit....and failed I applaud you and the life you want to live ....You are american it is going to to be harder to get the religious shit out of your system...good luck with that...xxx

I laugh at them.

I tell them im already there

Had that debate as well. Religious people always win. If I'm wrong it's going top be interesting. If they're wrong (done deal really) nothing happens. 🙂

I tell them I've been to Hell (it's in Michigan if you Google it) several times and that the bar is pretty good but the road to it isn't paved, with neither good intentions or asphalt.Usually causes themto suffer enough confusion for me to wander away.

That is a good question. I have not had the pleasure of such an exchange with a believer. I think a polite "piss off" might be a good start in that conversational gambit.

The conformation bias is of course one bias religious people use over and over again. Almost impossible to show or to explain that there are many different sides to every story. Donna's post says it all. Very well done.

I don't even bother responding. Mostly I just walk away. If I have to say anything at all, I'll just say I'm not interested--and then walk away.

marga Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

I laugh in their ignorant petulant faces.

I always like to say back to people that if the god they believe in will punish me for being the best person I can be and just not believing in them and forgive people who hurt people and are just not good people then I would rather be punished

My response to someone threatening me with eternal perdition would be the same as my response if someone threatened to tickle me to death with an angel's wing feather.

Or as George Carlin said in one of his routines, "If there is no god, may he strike this audience dead. See? Nothing happened."

I say (Plagiarize), "Burn in Hell??? Every Atom in my body was forged in the belly of a Super Nova and it didn't hurt one bit!"
-And-
"I was dead for billions of years before I was born, and wasn't bothered by it in the least bit!" ~ Samuel Clemens

I'll be in good company, then.

It depends. For the most part I try to be nice but sometimes they get me in a special mood and I say "Go f...yourself along with your ignorance."

LAUGH! And tell them Santa isn't going to bring them anything for Christmas for being mean! LOL

Laugh.
I do count myself lucky to be born in a nation where being an athiest isn't a death sentence.

@Vanceonfire We should all remember that it wasn't always that way. And especially in the deep south, atheists can still 'disappear'.

I have always looked at that kind of condemnation with a sence of humour since I honestly look at the whole concept as silly superstition. And ya sometimes my verbal response can get me in trouble because WTF? lol

Punisment? Really? Hell? We are all in it right now!! This life is the greatest pusnisment there can be!! Or haven't you noticed?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.