Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They really don't unless they're strangers, but if they do it's usually met with humor & sarcasm.

I laugh and ask them to prove it.

If there is a God and he doesn't understand why I don't believe than he is not the God they talk about.

this would depend on whom was making the threat, but generally I would simply ignore it or make a sarcastic comment in return

and I presume Santa Clause is going to give me coal for Christmas this year also? Tell your imaginary friend that he's kind of a jerk and nobody deserves to be tortured for all of eternity.

I just laugh and walk away.

"how did you come to that conclusion?"

Usually laugh a bit.. and explain that it's the equivalent of me threatening them with the actions of voldemort, or the orc horde.. I then usually explain, that if their god is real.. I wouldn't want to spend any time with the narcissistic mass murder, and will enjoy the company of any alternative.

The notion of "Hell" being a place of Flaming Brimstone is exceedingly silly. Once the physical body dies we no longer have nerve endings to experience such physical pain. It's a "marketing ploy" to scare people into believing their BS. It's fun to give them pure logic to disagree with them. They get all dumbfounded and start repeating themselves since they have no REAL responses to intelligence.

I usually just say, "your hell seems quite interesting place, more interesting than your heaven anyway." That usually does it.

I find their disconnect to be rather curious. How do I even know they're working for the "good" side?

May you burn in hell ? my reply " What makes you think I'm not already there ? "

"Be gone with your tired old tales."

Tell them I don't believe in an afterlife.

my god is a nice and doesn't believe in that!

mzee Level 7 Oct 19, 2017

I have an expressive face. Do not need to say anything, give them 'the look'

I laugh!

I tell them that if hell exists I probably belong there anyway so bring it on!

mjpwl Level 3 Oct 20, 2017

I can't help but chuckle, and i say "If there is a hell, then they will have the best music, the best beer and weed, and all my friends will be there"

I always say “good, that’s where all the awesome people will be.”

no more fantasy .

I say that blame and severe punishment destroy self esteem which is the primary cause of aggression destructive behavior.

I laugh at them

It doesn't apply to me!

I make up some nonsense about the FSM and what it is going to do to them for not doing it. I love it when they claim I am being stupid suggesting such things as I can point out to them that it is exactly how their nonsense sounds to everyone else.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.