Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say "If you want to have a discussion about religion. One where we are not trying to prove each other wrong but trying to understand each other then I am in. If you want to force your belief down my throat I have no interest in that conversation or continuing to acknowledge your presences."

If I don't believe, I don't have a fear and simply ask a question that where is God, the world is in need now.
21st century.

I simply say that I could never believe in a god that would punish one for eternity! Now who is evil??? So they "say" grace, peace, empathy, love, compassion for others comes from within a person, unfortunately everyone is not nice, however what a boring world it would be if we were all the same!!! Very simply just treat others how you yourself would like to be treated and never feel that you (have to) defend your personal beliefs and feeling. Also, who are you or I to judge anyone? Pat F.

Come on people feedback!!!

Who are we to judge anyone, anyway?

Now, aaaaahhh, for lack of words, I've a short vocabulary, I would say that to judge is a "God-given gift" - discernment - a very important faculty of each person in order to survive so you won't have a hard time window-shopping or choosing freebies in the net. You don't have to be a King Solomon to be a good judge of book covers.

You "simply say that you could never believe in a god that would punish one for eternity!" So, it's okay for you to believe in a god so long as it won't punish you for eternity?

Who is evil? depends on your intuition, you perception and discernment. what is evil to you might be a blessing to others.

You said it yourself, "Very simply just treat others how you yourself would like to be treated and never feel that you (have to) defend your personal beliefs and feeling."
. . . Just let them be. If they don't just let you be, well, seek life elsewhere!

It would be a wonderful world if all of us are the same in wanting to live life in perfect harmony. I wouldn't think that's a boring way to go.

Compassion, empathy, love and many other virtues are all inside us, we only need to tap on them . . .

. . . and there's one very important virtue that you MUST always have - PATIENCE

I point at them, then laugh like Nelson on The Simpsons. 🙂

I often ask them, "What if you're wrong, and it turns out you face Osiris when you die?"

I laugh and warn them about another religion's "hell".

Recently a Facebook friend suggested that I had better start buying lots of ice because I was going to need it. I wrote and said "Nah, don't think I will. It's your hell and I don't believe in it. I could not possibly believe in a god who doomed his children to an eternity in hell for non-belief in him or his 'greatness'".

Sometimes I respond with laughter and sarcasm

I don't believe in their 'god' or heaven, so why would I believe in their 'satan' or hell? It is an empty threat to me.

Exactly.

Generally laughter it is absurd to me that they think such punishments would scare me. Telling me I am going to hell is not something I fear as I don't believe in it.

Funny thing is the only time this has ever happen to me personally was when I was a "Christian" and we did not agree on a point. So while I was never inclined to confront or defend my eternal soul I always found it humorous. Most of my family is very religious very few are what I consider spiritual so I tend to not engage in any topic of a religious nature because I "love " them and respect their views. I can only change myself and it would be pointless to try an change them. My truth and journey is mine I strive to be the best person I can be and a better person then I was yesterday.

I had a client once tell me that he was sorry to say, but he believed I was going to go to hell for not believing. I simply asked him if he were going to be going to Heaven. He answered "Yes, I believe so." So, I said, "I guess I'll see you there because THAT would be my hell."

I just say there is no hell, so I don't fear it. Which usually leads to them saying that there is, and me saying no, science has proven there is no god, so there is no hell.

Your carrot that you entice me with says that God love me unconditionally...even my sins as long as I repent. You say he loves me "1,000 times 1,000" I was quoted once. So if God loves me so much why would be punish me so harshly and for infinity to burn in the fires of hell, just because I don't believe in Him? Surely he knows (or should) that I am fallable,could make a mistake. Doesn't he take that into consideration? NO??? What kind on MONSTER do you believe in anyway!!! How about all the near-mentally inferior people? He makes them burn in hell because maybe, they made a mistake and don't believe in Him?? Your God sounds very very small and unforgiving to me.

What kind of Monster? a jealous and selfish God, He said that Himself. So far nobody has given me a satisfactory answer to my question why God created us and why did He give us free will only to punish us if we make a mistake knowing fully well that to err is human (and we are human, aren't we? - unless you're a Dracos Reptilia, ha-ha!) and why let Satan tempt us and punish us if we go along with His primary adversary and so much more conflicts and inconsistencies, why put so many traps and pit falls along the way in man's journey to His kingdom

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, but your dillusions do not have the power to send me to a non-existant place after my death."

pardon, do you have any idea where we'd go after we die?

@SonnyMlaPH I understand the concept of brain that no longer has the blood supply to continue to function, that visibly degrades after death making it no longer able to act as it does while alive, so I have more evidence supporting my concept of 'what happens after death' than the religious.

I tell them no one here gets out alive so we'll see who's right!

Reality has punished me enough. You don't scare me! Lol.

Laugh and walk. Walk. And laugh.

I don't worry. As Douglas Adams once wrote, all the priests will be closest to the fire.

I smile and say "most scientists will go there and they will figure out a way to install air conditioning so we do not have to roast.

SKH78 Level 8 June 15, 2018

Mine is simple. how can you threaten me with hell when I don't believe in it

I laugh and tel them to bring it on.

Laughter. laughter solves a lot of my life problems

I laugh at them.

I tell them im already there

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.