Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tell them that their God is ever merciful... Oh and that they aren't God lol xD

It's never happened to me but if someone were to threaten me with religious punishment it would offer an opportunity for a lively discussion

I laugh, that shit is funny

I really don't get any threats like that. I can't swear that it's never happened, but for the most part I have conversations with people who remain civil and who aren't telling me I'm going to Hell. There's a level of sadism in some religious people who relish the thought of the unbelievers burning for eternity. That doesn't describe my friends. If, however, someone says that to me, with the expectation that I'll somehow change my ways out of fear of punishment — which, somehow, would have never occurred to me before? — I'd just tell them that it's not a very effective threat because I simply don't believe that such a place exists. And then, inevitably, would come the question of "what if you're wrong?" And that's a good time to ask them, "well, maybe I am, but what if you're wrong and another religion is right and you're also headed to some version of Hell for your misguided belief?" There are no good answers from the religious side to these questions, at best only baseless assertions said with conviction. That's an argument I can win handily.

I thank them for their concern. And advise them to use their energy for some charity work instead.

I just tell them that if there is such a place, which we have no proof it this places existence, that I would be in great company and enjoy myself immensely. Then,, I tell them of some of the people who were clearly atheists who have already died, e.g., Mark Twain, John Lennon, Hitchens, Carl Sagan, Karl Marx, etc etc.

I tell them I'll have lotsa friends there to party with.

I am very rude and laugh at them.Very impolite and un-English!

It's your hell. You go there.

I say, "Since they believe God is love and has forgiven all our 'sins', I have not worries."

Simple! For me, an atheist, there is no heavan or hell.

I'd tell them there is no proof of that punishment ,The only thing we know for sure is the life that we have now And I'm going to try to live this one life that I have the way I want to live it .And doing what I feel is right in my heart and not harming anyone or anything

I laugh and say I'd rather be someplace with all my fun friends.

I Try to ignore them and dismiss them, as it's clear they suffer from an incurable mental illness &/or stupidity. I do not try to impose my beliefs upon others. Have no need to become a bullying ignoramus. And, my beliefs, or rather, " no belief" stands without "show boating."

Plmc Level 1 Nov 7, 2017

I marvel at the fact that they actually, even passionately, believe that hell/jahannam exists.

HAHAHA - I tell them me & the devil are bros & I'm going to relish being in charge of torturing them for all of eternity!

I simply state to them :Your perception is your reality".

Laugh....

I laugh and laugh...

find it funny, often mock them with Santa or the Tooth Fairy comeback threats.

I generally say something along the lines of "I'm ready."

My answer is simple - "I am sorry you should feel that way." or "Your beliefs are not mine."

"Based on pictures, Hell looks more interesting than that other place anyway."

Not helpful, but the second threats come in to play, it's not really a civil conversation anyway.

True enough. When you threaten me, the gloves are off.

Sing Billy Joel, "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun..."
Only the Good Die Young

Laugh and say OK

Char Level 2 Nov 10, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.