Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's never happened to me but if someone were to threaten me with religious punishment it would offer an opportunity for a lively discussion

"Okay, you can believe what you want. When you can show something good God actually does on Earth, maybe I'll worry about death. 'Til then, eh."

I think I would tell them that if hell really existed, it would have to be the home of freethinkers, because that where you claim we're all going.

I laugh. It is pathetic.

I laugh and point out that I'm not any more afraid of that than they would be of the tooth fairy.

I ask them:
Where it is?
Who runs it?
I’ve never been in jail in my life, why would an invisible friend or enemy worry about little ol me?

gearl Level 8 Oct 24, 2017

Laugh usually but ut depends ... If they are coming off super disrespecrful I might get a little nasty back with them. I have a smart mouth and I'm not afraid of a made up character that sits in space.

Tell them it is just a control method. I am no longer afraid.

Do what you gotta do

Oh no! Now you've got me worried! Then, perhaps, I might ask why they believe in hell. I might suggest that it might be preferred to the hell being made on earth. Or, perhaps, you've already brought me there.

It doesn't apply to me!

I laugh at them

I say that blame and severe punishment destroy self esteem which is the primary cause of aggression destructive behavior.

no more fantasy .

my god is a nice and doesn't believe in that!

mzee Level 7 Oct 19, 2017

"how did you come to that conclusion?"

Often I laugh, sometimes I say, Whoo hooo at least I am not going to be bored!

I just kinda stare at them blankly and shrug or say ok.

i discuss them that there is no evidence on the punishment existence.

I don’t think I’ve ever been threaded with hell, etc., but if I was I’d let them know that I’d rather chill with Satan any day.

It depends on who's there. If going to Hell means I can meet Aristotle, Nietzsche, Evariste Galois, Alan Turing, Carl Sagan, Jean-Paul Sartre, and more of my heroes, then I tell them I can't wait to go to Hell. Also I'm pretty sure Hell will have some kick-ass heavy metal playing 24/7.

Dylan Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

I tell them that if a god or goddess would punish me for following my heart, for being kind and understanding toward others and trying to make the world a better place, then he/she/it doesn't deserve my adoration.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

I say that heaven and hell are here and now, that I am responsible for my own elevation or demise in every moment.

Orlyf Level 3 Oct 7, 2017

"You first!"

"ill be waiting for ya with a picnic basket"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.