Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My usual response is, "I'll save you a seat by the fire" , and then walk away.

If condemned, depending on the person doing it, I just chuckle and say I don't believe the way I used to. If they persist, I might say that "Not everyone believes like that." I usually don't bother to implicate myself, to avoid annoying arguments.

I kill them and eat them, metaphorically of course, or alligatorly if I happen to be in Florida.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 24, 2018

Tell them hevean is in your mind

When threatened with Hell, I reply "I hope so.... Ever heard of fuck in heaven?"

Ac08 Level 4 Jan 23, 2018

I'd rather be in hell than in heaven with religious people.

I roll my eyes - "thank you for your input"

Laughter!

If I don’t brow beat you with my pagan ways then back up and start over. Respect is key if I didn’t invite you into my space then you need to know your place ????

I say 'thank you'

Geez, that depends very much how they threaten it and what mood I'm in at the time. I was told once I'd be going to hell but it was said with such a deep and quiet sense of sadness that I found myself with this sense of pity for the person who said it. I remember patting her on the arm and telling her I spent enough time in bible study to know better than that. She looked confused but I didn't stick around long enough for her to say any more to me.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 17, 2018

I like to point out to them that if their god wants me to be saved from the bad place he made for me, he simply has to show me the exact right thing to make me a believer and follower. If this god made everything then it gave me too skeptical and intelligent a mind to believe in any unproven deity.

A simple blank stare followed by a disinterested "uh huh...". I mean for the more crazy ones I'll just chuckle, but in general I don't give them any real overblown reaction. Boogeyman threats don't work on me 🙂

I'd tell them that I'm about as afraid of hell as they are of the bad part of the Greek underworld.

Oooga booga

Hell doesn't scare me. YOU do, but Hell doesn't.

Sometimes something inside of me take over and looking them straight up and I say... "You are the 4th person today telling me that. How do I know you are not lying? You know, you are lying to me. Whatever their response... And you lying again. There you go lying to me again. You are the 4th person today to tell me that lie. Why you are lying? Who is telling you to lie to me. Why you lie."

A smirk and a chuckle, then I ask if they want to trade their dry cow for some beans.

Orly Level 5 Jan 6, 2018

Next time i will say cool are you giving the punishment and do you also like too receive them, i usually say that i do beileve in such places have hell or heaven but i do beileve some souls get trapped sometimes between worlds, im not organized religion friendly

(Threat): You will burn in hell!
(Response): Then so be it, see you there. (smile)

simple: I say: "They tell me that Hell is a lot like South Dakota only the weather is better.

The Hel or Hella myth ( Loki's Daughter ) was that she took in the unworthy. The expression " go to Hella was originally "go to Hella" It meant that a person was so worthless than nobody else would take their spirit. I have one friend that refers to Evangelicals as Hella's Army.

Laughter, usually.

I saw a bumper sticker once with the perfect response. It said, “It’s your hell, YOU burn in it.” Cracked me up.

That's great, I might use that.

I think it's funny, I don't believe in those things.

Ask them why they think anyone would want to spend eternity with someone like them. That usually quiets them down.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.