Agnostic.com

111 11

Is life meaningful without religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

111 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely!! Actually, religious lenses dulled the vibrant colors of life for me. Living unfettered is glorious, in all sorts of ways!

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

The establishing of dogmatic belief systems was simply a way to give life meaning, so yes, life can definitely be meaningful without religion.

No. Life is not meaningful. Meaning is a concept projected onto reality by humans.

Yes, I believe humans create meaning for themselves. We each do. An earth filled with everything but people would not have a meaning, it would just simply exist. So I believe the correct question would be, "Is life meaningful to you?"

I suggest that it is much more meaningful without religion.

very much so, if not more, in life i go out of my way to have great success in the things i do, and that strives me to do even more things. I'm not wasting my time being hardworking for something that we have no proof that it even exists, i mean what has a religious person ever got in return for things that they do for "god".

Of course. It is what we make it.

I feel it is more meaningful without it. In that I don't have to spend all my energy everyday living up to "God's standards" and only looking forward to "Paradise". I don't worry about whether or not I'm good enough for "Him". It made me view the world in a new way, knowing it's not going to be destroyed in Armageddon. I don't view people as future refuse of that "dreaded day". I care more about taking care of our Earth as well. I also stopped viewing myself as better than others because I now have more respect for other people's beliefs and opinions.

It is MORE meaningful without religion.

It is MORE meaningful being an atheist as a) we are dealing with the truth and not some rubbish superstition controlling our lives and b) we realize that this is the only life we have so we should live it to the full every day and enjoy the journey for what it is. I like the question though as taken a little further in the search for truth, atheism can easily lead to the conclusion that life is meaningless, which is the truth, but in discovering this truth I find I can celebrate what meaning I decide to bring into my own life and I can feel good about it as I have done it for myself so it wasn't 'given' to me by some spirit in the sky.

There are hundreds of straiter paths to perfect wisdom and thus peace of mind.

Religion does not make life meaningful!

mzee Level 7 Oct 19, 2017

my life perfect the way it is

Absolutely! I can be good without God. I don't need fear or threat of punishment to do good. I care about people and animals and the earth and try to do no harm. Nature is a wonder, amazing, awe inspiring.

It certainly can be it just depends on how you live it. The way I see things is this is the only life we get and we should really make the most of it. Provided you arent a serial killer.

Of course! Instead of meaning manufactured to please some imaginary being and gain entrance into an imaginary afterlife, we can find meaning in real things. I find meaning in Relationships, in activities that bring me joy, in doing work to make the world a better place.

I don't think that religion has any bearing on whether life is meaningful or not.

yes!

sure, life is what you make of it. you can find meaning almost anywhere.

Most definitely.

SamL Level 7 Nov 3, 2017

Absolutely!

Unquestionably!

Yes even more so since we now search for why we are on earth knowing there is no need to worship some deity

KICKN Level 5 Nov 10, 2017

More so, I've found.

i'm a bit of a nihilist -
so i do not find there to be any inherent meaning in life.
i see meaning as something we add to our lives -
to help us form our direction as we move through it.

as a believer i was always searching, fearing, scrambling for what my meaning and purpose was -
what was i SUPPOSED to be doing...

as a non-believer and a survivor of the death of my only child, life is deeper, richer, brighter, darker, truer than it ever was before.
i live for both of us & even the mundane things of life seem louder, bigger, more sacred.

i DO believe in "sacred" -
without any religious connection.
life has become sacred - which, for me, is far deeper than "meaningful".

My sincere condolences for your loss. It’s incredibly brave of you to have come out of the other end of something like that with a lack of belief when profound loss so often propels people deeper into it.

Big hugs.....

Religion is a lie so it doesn't have any meaning.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.