Agnostic.com

111 11

Is life meaningful without religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

111 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It’s more meaningful without the crutch of religion

The meaning of life is in the mind of the thinker.

Yes, I find it more meaningful. You value your life more, since you can't go imaginary place when you die. Despite what the religious fools may tell you.

Why wouldn't it be?

Of course, if you make it so. Life has meaning only as we give it meaning. We are flukes of the Universe, so if we don't live each day as it is presented to us, it is us that loses out. No one else to praise or blame, but ourselves. & I use the plural on purpose. Individually we have to make our way, but we do so as social beings & part of a larger biological web that is more than just the individual.

Seems to be for me so far. Religion is a placeholder for true knowledge, something to explain concepts people couldn't or were too afraid to wrap their heads around. And while it provides comfort to some, it is a damning double-edged sword that halts the progress of humanity.

Religion ruins life, and has poisined everything it has ever touched. the natural life is the only way to enjoy the gift of BEING !!!!

Life isn't meaningful with religion either, so...

The Meaning of Life: Procreate . That is the meaning evolution has taught us, other than that, life is its' own 'meaning'.

Sure, I don't see any reason the lack of religion would make it less meaningful.

Life w/ religions lacks meaning... Living ones life in fantasies is not living. The joy of finding things out, living your life w/o superstition... real purpose, transcendence, being able and willing to "tell your story". Rationality is a pre-qualifier to a life of meaning.

Absolutely, I feel like I live fully everyday, I don't take anything for granted and I take time to enjoy everything about the life I have now. I do not need the comfort of fantasizing about an afterlife. What I have now is enough. I am also motivated to do more to change the world for the better while I can.

I find it to be equally meaningless with or without religion.

Life is more meaningful and more beautiful without it. we can take joy and pride in our accomplishment and the accomplishments of others; we can do good knowing we do it because we want to, and not for an ulterior motive of gain.

I am living proof!!!!

Yes.

Of course! Instead of meaning manufactured to please some imaginary being and gain entrance into an imaginary afterlife, we can find meaning in real things. I find meaning in Relationships, in activities that bring me joy, in doing work to make the world a better place.

It certainly can be it just depends on how you live it. The way I see things is this is the only life we get and we should really make the most of it. Provided you arent a serial killer.

my life perfect the way it is

I feel it is more meaningful without it. In that I don't have to spend all my energy everyday living up to "God's standards" and only looking forward to "Paradise". I don't worry about whether or not I'm good enough for "Him". It made me view the world in a new way, knowing it's not going to be destroyed in Armageddon. I don't view people as future refuse of that "dreaded day". I care more about taking care of our Earth as well. I also stopped viewing myself as better than others because I now have more respect for other people's beliefs and opinions.

No. Life is not meaningful. Meaning is a concept projected onto reality by humans.

Yes, I believe humans create meaning for themselves. We each do. An earth filled with everything but people would not have a meaning, it would just simply exist. So I believe the correct question would be, "Is life meaningful to you?"

The establishing of dogmatic belief systems was simply a way to give life meaning, so yes, life can definitely be meaningful without religion.

Absolutely!! Religion terrified me as a kid so now I feel very free without it. I can “sin” all I want and not feel like some massive man in the sky was going to send me to hell. I also love caring for animals and that gives me so much more meaning to my life than appeasing said massive man in the sky.

More so.

YES life is meaningful but being human one still have this need to be accepted or apart of. I've made the decision to walk alone if I have to. I will not go alone that I might not be alone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.