Agnostic.com

111 11

Is life meaningful without religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

111 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We create our own meanings and, most of the time, that's not what it meant at all. So, we definitely don't need religion to have a life full of meaning.

to me...absolutely. to the religious...absolutely not. they'd have to start dealing with reality and personal responsibility.

I'm not sure. I can assign some meaning to it but it seems to me that life on Earth is an accidental event and essentially meaningless.

The point of life is that you are able to determine your own purpose. You must make your own life meaningful, or don't. It's your choice and you shouldn't depend on someone else to determine your worth or meaning.

Marz Level 7 Nov 22, 2017

Meaning is merely an idea. You can have a good life without the idea of meaning. Just enjoy the moment; there does not need to be a greater purpose.

The world would be great and wonderful without religions.

Yes! The world is full of amazing things, religion only devides

Yes, It makes life even more meaningful.

mine seems to be... i'm happy with it

The meaning of life at the biological level is 'eat, survive, reproduce'. These are the biological imperatives. But we humans also have a psychological dimension but at this level, there are no imperatives so we are free to invent our own 'meaning' to life, and that is exactly what most of us do.

Life existed long before religion, yet it somehow survived anyway.

Funny how that works, eh?

Religion is a lie so it doesn't have any meaning.

i'm a bit of a nihilist -
so i do not find there to be any inherent meaning in life.
i see meaning as something we add to our lives -
to help us form our direction as we move through it.

as a believer i was always searching, fearing, scrambling for what my meaning and purpose was -
what was i SUPPOSED to be doing...

as a non-believer and a survivor of the death of my only child, life is deeper, richer, brighter, darker, truer than it ever was before.
i live for both of us & even the mundane things of life seem louder, bigger, more sacred.

i DO believe in "sacred" -
without any religious connection.
life has become sacred - which, for me, is far deeper than "meaningful".

My sincere condolences for your loss. It’s incredibly brave of you to have come out of the other end of something like that with a lack of belief when profound loss so often propels people deeper into it.

Big hugs.....

More so, I've found.

Yes even more so since we now search for why we are on earth knowing there is no need to worship some deity

KICKN Level 5 Nov 10, 2017

Unquestionably!

Absolutely!

Most definitely.

SamL Level 7 Nov 3, 2017

sure, life is what you make of it. you can find meaning almost anywhere.

yes!

I don't think that religion has any bearing on whether life is meaningful or not.

Of course! Instead of meaning manufactured to please some imaginary being and gain entrance into an imaginary afterlife, we can find meaning in real things. I find meaning in Relationships, in activities that bring me joy, in doing work to make the world a better place.

It certainly can be it just depends on how you live it. The way I see things is this is the only life we get and we should really make the most of it. Provided you arent a serial killer.

Absolutely! I can be good without God. I don't need fear or threat of punishment to do good. I care about people and animals and the earth and try to do no harm. Nature is a wonder, amazing, awe inspiring.

my life perfect the way it is

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.