Agnostic.com

111 11

Is life meaningful without religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

111 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You create your own meaning in life. Religion is literally pepole doing that very thing.

So yes you don't need religion to have meaning in your life.

My favorite response to this question is from Dan Barker from his book "The Life Driven Purpose."

"There is no purpose OF life. There is purpose IN life."

Absolutely, I feel like I live fully everyday, I don't take anything for granted and I take time to enjoy everything about the life I have now. I do not need the comfort of fantasizing about an afterlife. What I have now is enough. I am also motivated to do more to change the world for the better while I can.

I think you create the meaning in your life, with or without the help of religion. It's your life, your experience. When it ends, that is it. You may be remembered for a while afterwards.

YES, without it is better, it's stupid, all these stories to control people. Without religion I am free to believe in DNA, in science, much better than smoke and mirrors. OR JOEL OLSTEEN. Puke.

I follow no religion; my life is steeped in meaning, in joy, and in curiosity. Curiosity makes life very interesting.

Life w/ religions lacks meaning... Living ones life in fantasies is not living. The joy of finding things out, living your life w/o superstition... real purpose, transcendence, being able and willing to "tell your story". Rationality is a pre-qualifier to a life of meaning.

NOTHING IN ME BELIEVED ANY OF IT, ever, EVER. If THIS was God, I wanted no part in it. They lost me at Abraham and Isaac. Religion is unhealthy, looking at the suffering Christ is appalling, does no one any good, everyone is repressed and nuts. It teaches you to hate yourself and creates some sick shit. No thank you. I live in Waco if I die here, cause of death, drowning in hypocrisy.

More meaningful than with it ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 25, 2017

Meaning is a concept. Life, or an event with a life, has meaning if we think it does. We make meaning - it is not bestowed upon us by God or the Universe.

My life is meaningful to me I am learning all the time. People talk about god and heaven but I see a lot of hellish stuff going on around me and am determined not to add to that mess.

Sure, I don't see any reason the lack of religion would make it less meaningful.

Yes! It’s more meaningful because you don’t waste the life you have here on earth waiting for some promised paradise after this life where there is absolutely no proof of.

Most definitely.

The Meaning of Life: Procreate . That is the meaning evolution has taught us, other than that, life is its' own 'meaning'.

Life isn't meaningful with religion either, so...

Religion, to me, is irrelevant. Life was given to me (By parents not a prime mover), and so my life has the meaning they gave to me and that I have subsequently given it, and then from that, what I get in return augments that meaning and so on.

yes

I will quote, if I may, Joss Whedon's series Angel (from the episode "Epiphany"): words that speak more eloquently than I can.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters... then all that matters is what we do. What we do, now, today. Because, if there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness - is the greatest thing in the world."

Religion ruins life, and has poisined everything it has ever touched. the natural life is the only way to enjoy the gift of BEING !!!!

Seems to be for me so far. Religion is a placeholder for true knowledge, something to explain concepts people couldn't or were too afraid to wrap their heads around. And while it provides comfort to some, it is a damning double-edged sword that halts the progress of humanity.

Of course, if you make it so. Life has meaning only as we give it meaning. We are flukes of the Universe, so if we don't live each day as it is presented to us, it is us that loses out. No one else to praise or blame, but ourselves. & I use the plural on purpose. Individually we have to make our way, but we do so as social beings & part of a larger biological web that is more than just the individual.

Why wouldn't it be?

Yes, I find it more meaningful. You value your life more, since you can't go imaginary place when you die. Despite what the religious fools may tell you.

Yes, I think it is. Every act you do that leaves a trace in the common consciousness adds to the meaning of your life.

Denker Level 7 June 23, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.