Agnostic.com

433 21

When did you first doubt religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

433 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I started to doubt religion in my early 30s like I have mentioned in other posts. Seeing how the christains treated the gay community, noticing some contradictions in the bible, and how my life was no where near what I thought it would be at that age. I tried other sects to find answers or fill avoid, which I was a big waste of time. Watching an episode of Power Rangers is more productive than going to church or believing in fairy tales. I'm glad I finally accepted the path of enlightenment and being my free thinking journey through the rest of my life.

November 2016... driving through the rocky mountains, i had an epiphany that there is no God, that i was duped, that it's all on me and anything i ever fixed or figured out it was on me, i did it, and the bad things that happened to me were not my fault.... they were done by evil monkey people... so stark and clear it was, a real eye opener. 😉

When I was a kid and told santa was real my instinct was to lay out a trail of cookies leading to my room to lure santa so I could see him to prove his existence. My parents must have been very sneaky but I've been a skeptic my whole life 😛

The question makes the assumption that at one point we did not doubt religion . I was the son of a policeman living next door to the vicarage and went to church three times a Sunday until I was eleven even took confirmation.That was in the pre-computer days and mains electricity had not reached our village.I did not have a clue why I had to go to church and listen to this guy preach we just did.Each year we were given a gift of a book at Christmas,one year a book on St Francis the next year how to modify a Ford Anglia, it could have been worse a Bible(great stories with some morals).I didn't get that till I was 18 years old when I joined the forces,ironic.
I don't think I ever believed in religion but just could not get my head round why did supposedly intelligent adults go to church.I stopped going to church when I was twelve, that is when I began to question most things and asked Why . Had to stop watching wrestling for the same reason,didn't believe that either.It seems the more less educated a country the more religions, new churches and TV channels they have.

My parents taught me to have faith from above I was like okay, since I was kid I never believe that there is this so called god there was only human slaughtering each other and I was just following what my parents says as a respect. I am very carefull hiding the fact that I don't believe what they're saying and here I am trying to be more like myself not afraid to reveal the real me.... The most triggered my own belief is that my family's religion don't really make any sense like their worshipping, praying but none of it came true? such a waste of time??

Back in 2015 is when i found out noah's ark was camplete B.S. and thats when i Doubted religion.

In my teens when I was old enough to start thinking critically and noticed religion was entirely based on bullshit that couldn't possibly be real.

At about the age of 14 or 15.

My realization that the personal god to whom i sometimes spoke, as to an invisible friend, was fictional came at the age of 15. i didn't think of it as doubting religion. i hadn't been raised to be religious; we were secular jews. i still self-identify as a jew. yes, that sounds funny, since judaism is a religion and involves worshiping a god. i still like the inherent humanism (and ritual, and music, and omg FOOD) of the religion of my people. so culturally i am a jew. however, i have been an atheist since the age of 15, and i don't see my attraction to and (minimal) involvement with my culture as a threat to that.

g

No doubts until I was well into my 30's or 40 's even. I never gave it a thought one way or the other. I loved the camaraderie of going to church, of the Sunday School classes, the other socials at church, though I was never much of one for attending often. I loved the stories, they Bedtime Stories my grandma used to read to me, the miracles, the lights, music, all of it . Loved Christmas, Easter, loved the structure of the religious holidays and visiting various churches around the world as I traveled. I was often very angry , wounded , by the injustices of life - then one day I just woke up and realized that I did not believe in any god at any time nor place. That first day was actually shocking to me . Then came the peace knowing that there is no god to blame, to rail at, to beg, to be angry at for being so negligent of the human race. I had just refused all along to acknowledge this . I still enjoy the holidays but just now I can really enjoy them. The stories are wonderful - often I wish they were real but its ok.

About age 10. I became a confirmed non believer at 13 when our Sunday school teacher told us that "Heaven will be whatever you want it to be."

I guess it dawned on me about the time I started school at 5. My mum was forced to learn the New Testament bible when she was a child/ young adult and she eventually taught it, but never really believed in it. She said that I should go to Sunday school and see what I think. If I didn’t want to go after a few weeks, then that was fine. I guess she was my inspiration. Being taught Christianity and going to church was just something you did in the south of England in the 60s, it often wasn’t questioned, but my Mum’s liberal nature was refreshing, I suppose. I was the only kid that did not pray at school at the end of the day, but the teachers never took exception. I’ve questioned all forms of religion ever since

It never came up when I was really young. I had read Greek and other myths before Bible stories, so they all blended as fiction to me.

When I first noticed that most of the worst people I ever had to deal with were also the most outspokenly devout. Then I noticed that much of belief is based on responding to threats of violence and torture.

That converged one Halloween with a thought experiment about what would happen if I saw a ghost and refused to be terrified by it.

I always resisted because I hated church...it was boring so I was always trying to get out of having to go. But probably I really rejected it it when I realized this entity that preached the poor inherit the kingdom of god was creating millionaires I started to understand it was a simply a less violent way to control the masses than killing the ones that don't fall in line. I mean they do that too just that isn't really part of the ideology but definitely part of the implementation

I first started doubting when I moved to the States from a very Catholic Poland and made friends with people of different religious views than mine. I could no longer believe they would go to hell just because they didn't follow the same religion as me. That is what started me on the path to deconversion.

When i broke my neck in a motorcycle accident leaving paralyzed from shoulders down

I do not think I was ever a believer. My parents never discussed any religion. My first exposure to religion was by a baby sitter who asked me in I believed in Jesus.

At fours years of age i found a bunch of toys in my parents closet and got them for christmas (jews having christmas tree) and there went my belief in Santa. So the invisible god thing never stuck.

I was raised Presbyterian/Unitarian. Parents never fought about it either or mentioned their beliefs to us. The Presbyterian creed apparently is "Damned if you do and damned if you don't." I will never accept that. Dad's Unitarian beliefs seeped out in action, word, and deed.

I had 'Jesus Freaks' gang up on me my first quarter at college. I was really messed up after three weeks. Went home, talked to Rev. 'Ding', and got rebalanced.
I solved the problem during the week of study, no classes, before finals. It was a beautiful day and I was studying with friends, some of them pretty strong JF's, in a first floor dorm. Some bright child/college student threw a bucket of COLD water through the open window. I got most of it. I rocketed out of my chair and said things that are very upsetting to very religious people. The text books, which we rented for each quarter, I'm proud to say, didn't get wet. I didn't have trouble with the worst of the followers of Jesus after that. Some of them were VERY strange.

And that Trinity thing. Huh? That was made up.
BTW. "The Church" took the literal "word of God" and changed it. - Try and sell THAT to the Fundamentalists.

I admire Jesus and his teachings, but 'God', however one conceives it to be, is the important part of religion.

I know a lot of people think CWG is a lot of BS, but it really solidified what I had believed through most of my life. Sorry. It makes sense to me.

Then there are the Jehovah Witnesses. Much to my dismay, but understanding how it happened, my best friend got caught up in that --- organization. One of us, or maybe both of us, will be surprised. If possible.

I was never indoctrinated into it my parents were totally in their own world my mother was manic and had her own god whom she never shared with anyone; and he did smite all her enemies. she was always full of stories about that Old Mother Delamaine who broke her ankle ,which was her gods way of letting my mum know he'd sorted things!

My father was a shell of a man - the war destroyed him and he would just sit in one of our big cold rooms alone reading poetry to himself not wanting anything; none of my extended east enders family were religious so it just wasnt in my sphere at all. I remember feeling amused and bemused that anyone would belieive - the god story because i read so many books that were - informative with pathos well writtten - the bible was a joke it just didnt hang together so it was discarded.

The moment I heard about it.

Around age 12 or so, trying to put Tab A into Slot B when it came to Creation and the theory of evolution. I also wondered about all the other religions and cultures in the world, and why they were wrong and Xianity was right. Science and the Bible didn't add up anywhere.
Finally, my brother got me reading all of the Bible and that pretty much did it. I was agnostic til around 3 yrs ago, when I finally completely let go of God and any afterlife.
Pretty much all that time in between was hidden Pascal's Wager in there somewhere.

I started to doubt in early to mid 30s. I wished I started doubting it in my late teens to ealry 20s.

At age 10, after I realized that not all dads beat moms. I decided people believed in a god because they needed something to believe in.

When I went to a black church in the ghetto and every week there were little people would get the "holy spirit" and speak in tongues. While I found these things entertaining and they helped to pass the time, I would feel left out because I didn't feel any of these things. I would just be bored in church and people would be bouncing around me talking about how god spoke to me or this and that. I could relate

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.