Agnostic.com

433 21

When did you first doubt religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

433 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I suppose it was when I was about 10 years old. I have always had my nose in a book and the more I learned the more questions I had. I asked ministers that if God was omniscient, omnipresent etc then why was he in a constant tug of war with the "devil" and how come he did not see the "fall of mankind" before he created man? and why, if God does not make a mistake does it say that he felt remorse for creating mankind and decided to wipe out all existence on the planet? that sounds like a mistake. I asked questions about the universe, about time, about the fact that all religions claim to be the right religion, surely they can't all be right, how even christianity has denominations all claiming to hold the truth and that surely they couldn't all be right. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or a trouble maker. I truly wished to understand what I was being taught. It did not make any logical sense. I was told I was asking questions that were far beyond my years and that I just had to accept everything on faith. That was when I began to doubt religion. It was not until I was in my late 20's though that I fully embraced that doubt.

Hehhehe, well, It started in High school. My High School was run by Muslims, many of my teachers were Muslim. They had this habit of inviting students over to their houses for Dinner, y'know, to get to know them better. My Mom even came one time. Long story short: you see people in a different light when you spend time with them. A perceived enemy stops being an enemy after you've eaten dinner with them, or helped take care of their vegetableized child, or had funny arguments with their daughter about whether or not she was an Evil Bunny, or played soccer with them, or watched scary movies with them. I figured: "If this whole Religion thing works they way Religion says it does, than either They or I will go to Heaven, but not both. I was a Christian at the time. And I couldn't believe it anymore. How DARE God, in all his power, in all his "Love" , DARE to say that only ONE belief was right? I have never heard him say to ANYONE what is good and true from his own mouth. No one has; and yet he wants to punish people who simply got it wrong? I couldn't believe it anymore. I turned my back on Christianity, and will never look back. Don't worry, my family still loves me though ^_^

Vacation Bible school. Daniel and the Lion's Den and the story of the three men in the furnace. I don' t care to attempt spelling their names at the moment.

MikeJ Level 5 Nov 28, 2017

Around the age of 13. I became a full fledged atheist by my sophomore year of high school.

I was 13 in church listening to the story of creation and I remember thinking "how can we know this " in any detail , I mean , was there some scribe making notes on the origins of everything from light to birds to dirt etc ...
I asked my mother " who wrote all of this down, who documented and kept records of events and moments that , from what it looks, like

Back during the late 60's at college I joined the Campus Crusade for Christ. It seems everything I wanted to do was a sin. Then I was told even thinking about it (regardless what "it" was) was a sin. So I figured I was probably going to hell anyway so it was back to beer, girls, and billiards. This was just a beginning. When I look around the world and see all the destruction of human life and the control religion has over people's thought processes I cannot believe that a god would condone such narrow mindedness and brutality. Next comes the denial of science. It is beyond me how an educated person can believe the fairy tells over compelling data. So If there is a god it is laughing at mankind.

7th grade. I'd say it more "admitting it to myself", as I had doubts all along. Dad took me to Catholic church and I thought it was the stupidest thing ever.

as soon as I came into contact with it when my parents sent me to Sunday school. I have always watched animal programs and lived with dogs so religion just seemed stupid and still does.

I was baptized when I was 5 years old I grew up in the south and spent many hours and church and activities at that point I believed and gave my life over to Jesus Christ at 6 years old my parents abandoned me and I prayed and prayed they would come back but they didn't that was the beginning of me doubting as I grew up and being a victim of child molestation by Church officials I knew there was no God since then studying ancient history I realized how many people were dying in the name of religion now I see many examples of hypocrisy from the church and their so-called disciples I do however believe in the old gods I hope that doesn't disqualify me from being on this page

Tovie Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

I had a severe mental episode. The Mormon church excommunicated me because of the behavior. Said it was sinful. I prayed and did everything possible from behind those institutional walls. Nothing happened, I didn't get healed, I didn't get saved, didn't feel a thing. It was painful but liberating to realise that the dam religion was the root cause of my mind problem. then I got better.

College. One of my favorite professors asked the question; "If god is omnipotent how would WE know?".

Very early in my Air Force career...if not my senior year in high school. Don't remember exactly, but it was sometime between 18 and 19-years old. It just didn't make much sense as I cast off my shell of boyhood and began my maturation as a man. I was questioning EVERYTHING that made no sense.

I was brought up a Catholic as a child - my Mom was a devout Catholic, but my Dad was probably an agnostic. I never asked him directly about his religious beliefs, and since he passed away in 1984, I'll never find out. By high school age, I had the sense that Catholicism was mostly mysticism and dogma, without much basis in reality. So I stopped going to Sunday school and church.

I had a short period in my adult life of being a "born-again Christian", doing Bible studies, memorizing verses in the Bible, etc., but after a while, Christianity took on the same sort of artificial feel as Catholicism had earlier in my life. So I stopped claiming that I was a Christian, and started to embrace agnosticism. It made the most sense to me, from my life experiences and observations.

I've doubted religion for as long as I can remember. There was a very brief period of my childhood where I publicly professed a belief in god simply out of peer pressure. I still remember telling a friend in 6th grade that I did not believe. He suggested I go to church and pray just in case. I asked, "wouldn't your god know I was faking?"

d_day Level 7 Nov 24, 2017

From birth

When I was like 14 years old I guess

I was born in Albania when religion was forbidden but that didn't stop people from secretly practicing. My family never mentioned it. I was maybe 5 or 6 when playing outside with friends and one of them told me a story that some supernatural woman struck down a hunter because he killed a deer and that made her unhappy and tried to convince me of supernatural beings. Now that I think about it his family believed in mythology. At that age I couldn't possibly fathom such a thing happening and my response to him is why are there still hunters killing deer and why did she strike only one? I know that was simplistic but I was a kid but even since then I couldn't believe in anything supernatural like that. That had to do with the fact my family never discussed religion growing up and that was totally normal. We had to have a talk when we moved to Greece cause we had to pretend we were orthodox but they always explained that was just pretend and in no way were any of us to just suddenly start believing. I guess I've always been an atheist and I thank the stars for that as that's what kept me going through ten years of pretend.

I always doubted. That was why the apologetics attracted me. It was a way to provide 'explanations' for how it 'could' work

When I was 16, got shippedon a Bible Study Tour to Israel-got there and saw the division among the Jews-the Chasidim the religious zealots yelling at me that I wasn't praying like I should-turned into a shouting match

I can not recall a time when I was a believer. I raised it with my parents who insisted I attend Sunday School until I was 12. I raised it again on my 12th birthday and stopped going.

When my dog got ran over and found out dogs do not go to heaven.

I grew up with an agnostic mother and an atheist Dad , so doubting religion has been part of my life from as long as I can remember.At around age 10 I thought I'd momentarily become a Presbyterian for a year or so, but soon reverted to my original atheistic settings. My Dad described himself as a Rationalist.

I lived for a long time behind the iron courtain. Bibles were hard to get, I was one of privileged
to get a copy.... reading it was a woozy.... Noah ark?

My earliest memory of going to church. I was raised by a mother who is a pathological liar, for as long as I can remember I knew fully well that just because a person says something doesn't mean it's true. It's far more likely that that person just wants you to believe what they said, and the first question I'd ask is why?

I was roughly 12 years old, maybe eleven. I kept trying to make sense out of what my sunday school teacher was saying, but couldn't. I wasn't buying Santa Cluas or the Easter Bunny then and I wasn't about to believe in talking snakes, talking burning bushes, rising from the dead and getting pregnant without having sex first. I also was able, at that early age, to see the hypocrisy with the adult church members by noticing a different kind of behavior when in church and then in every day life through the rest of the week. It really angered me to hear the preacher speak of humans of all colors living and loving together, then have my father utter racial slurs at home. When I graduated from high school, my mother ordered me when I left home for Hawaii NOT to get hooked up with women with brown skin (Asian and/or black)... which is exactly what I did the first thing I arrived on Maui back in 1967. I have been an outspoken atheist since and never once looked back with regret.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.