Agnostic.com

433 21

When did you first doubt religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

433 comments (401 - 425)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was young, (around 5 or so) my mother told me I was going to a new school on Sunday. I asked what I was going to learn about there, and her response was "Some guy." When I asked why I needed to learn about "some guy" she said that I would be able to answer that when I got back from school. So the seed of doubt was already there. When I learned that Jesus was apparently one part of god, I was given a trivia question to see is I learned my lessons. The question was, "Who died on the cross for our sins?" I quickly answered, "god." I was told that I was wrong and that it was Jesus, the son of god that died for our sins. I was only 5 (or so) and I already realized that these people had no idea what they were talking about. The seed of doubt was firmly planted. I was lucky it happened at a young age.

I knew from the time I was a small child that what I was being told in church didn't make any sense and seemed lieka load of bullshit. This only got worse as I asked questions of the ministers and Sunday school teachers. The answers they gave were idiotic and nonsensical. I wanted to believe so badly like the other children, but deep inside, I NEVER accepted the bullshit. As I became an adult I endeavored to learn as much as I could about many religions, because I was certain that one of them must be right. The more I studied and learned the more I realized it was all bullshit. I read the entire bible twice, the Quran once, and the Book of MORON (excuse me) MORMON once. It wasn't until I watched Zeitgeist that I was ready to embrace and accept the fact that I will never believe in that crap again. The comspiracy theory part about 9/11 in Zeitgeist was nonsense but the parts about christianity were spot on.

I was quite young, maybe 13 or 14, doing confirmation for a Lutheran church. The pastor didn't really want to field my questions and to be honest, I wasn't really stoked to be there anyway. I basically dropped out and when my parents asked if I even wanted to do it, I told them no. From then on, religion became more and more ridiculous to me. When I asked one day if a person could believe in god and still believe in things like big bang cosmology, evolution, climate change and so on, I was flatly told "no". At that point, I realized there was no point in even pretending to believe.

I was probably around age 13/14 when the reality of the churches teachings first struck me as laughable.

when my aunt died

I was born in the us. My parents are Christians. I was a rebel. And after asking so many questions with not enough logical answers. I decided its a bards tale. A rumor. But for each fiction there is a little bit of truth.... but we have to dig so deep you might get lost. And who has time for that?

Around age 10

3 years ago

When people would ask me "What is my religion", I tend to answer I have no religion but I believe in God. It started when I began to question the diversity of what they call "faith and truth."

when i was 11 or 12 years old

At the age of 18, as soon as I left home for uni. The ONLY public church voice I heard in my new uni-home was in the newspaper and nearly 100% antigay and hateful. This was quite the reality check for a kid who grew up believing that the christ message was one of love, inclusion, and compassion.

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

After my father died when I was 14.

JudyG Level 1 Oct 8, 2017

I was raised a strict catholic, and later became a pentecostal holy roller. I became frustrated when i saw the hypocracy and prayer did not work.

Being taught by nuns for 10 years soured me on the idea of religion. They couldn't answer my questions or they gave answers that were illogical. I first voiced my doubts at 16 to my boyfriend who reacted as though I said I was a serial killer. After that I kept quiet...for a few years. Did a lot of reading and finally realized God didn't make sense, especially after taking some classes on religion, psychology, and anthropology.

don't really know, some years ago

Tesla Level 3 Oct 6, 2017

Started having doubts as a preteen because of lack of evidence, but thought I must be wrong as all around me believed. By High School I knew it wasn't true but didn't say it out loud. I have never wavered since then and I'm 75 now.

jude Level 1 Oct 6, 2017

At about 9 or 10 when I first started to understand science and nature, and that a literal interpretation of the Bible didn't always make sense.

When my father passed away from a terrible bout of cancer and I was 19 years old. He died on the 2nd of December, 1990 - 20 days before my 20th birthday. I was at the time going to a small christian (not really denominational) church. I was confused because I was sad that my dad passed, but so glad he did because he was no longer suffering in this life. I thought that was very christian in thought. I was told I was a sinner for that. I was very confused. I thought we were supposed to be happy when god called one of his children home??? Isn't that the saying? So, why am I a sinner? I discovered in that conversation with the pastor that everything I was doing in my life at 19 (drinking, sex, smoking pot [still do], partying) was a sin and I should feel bad for it - and I didn't! I didn't at all. I left that church and tried a few more before becoming aware of Wicca. I started learning about that and that progressed to more information and more education until at about 25 I realized that I did not believe in the bible of that god but felt there was some kind of god. Today at 46 - I believe in Energy, Vibrations, The biological and unseen connection between all living things - these are my gods. 🙂

Always from early childhood

About third grade when I was reading Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance novels and figured out that those books would make more sense than the bible does in terms of plausibility.

Never had any conviction of it in the first place. Decided at age 8 that it was nonsense and have never seen the need to question that decision.

I was raised in an agnostic home and taught very early that an individual must accept or reject the idea of a deity.

I don't remember ever believing. It just never made any sense to me, even when I was very young. I remember watching the original Cosmos series when I was a kid and feeling that the universe was so amazing and so vast, yet ordered and definable; that we just don't have all the tools and knowledge to understand it completely. It's just always felt true to me that it's incredibly complex and mysterious to us but not magical and certainly not intentionally designed. Even as a kid I couldn't buy the idea that there was intention in the universe, the events of the world (especially the natural world) seemed to be driven by fixed rules and without any bias. Gravity always behaved the same, good people and bad people died and thrived, animals did not appear to behave in ways that indicated a moralistic or larger intention: there seemed to be a lot of consistancy to the world and no evidence of a willful contolling force that I could see. Even when I was very young, I was sure that I would notice if a god was bending the rules to his/her ends and that events would not be seemingly so random yet recognizably patterned if there was any higher power at work.

I was ten. I loved watching Disney nature shows and ocean and space exploration.
I found the hidden Santa presents one year and faked surprise while opening them on Christmas under the tree.
I began to question what is real?

I am not sure I ever gave it too much thought, just adopted thoughts based on how my family was until I was in my teens and started getting more pressure. Lived in different places and knew more diversity until my family moved back to their hometown. To many things in the Bible seemed to not add up or make sense. Way too much pressure to accept things that did not make me completely comfortable. To much stuff in bible just made me feel like I, as a female, was just not good enough for this Biblical god. I like to believe that if there is a higher power out there they view everyone and everything equally.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 1, 2017

The more educated I got and when I became able to take responsibilities for my own choices and actions , is when I became "enlightened" that there was no great PUPPETEER" in the sky .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.