Agnostic.com

433 21

When did you first doubt religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

433 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was about 6. My mother taught me to read before I got in to the first grade. By age 7 I had read the Bible cover to cover! Just before I was 8 I ask my paternal grand parents preacher a question and that sealed it for me! One Sunday a couple of months before my 8th birthday I had attended my paternal grand parents church ( being I was the eldest grandchild I got stuck with HAVING to go to church with the G parents. ) this particular Sunday brother Yancy gave his Genesis sermon. Afterwards my grand father wanted to discuss things with the preacher . After their talk brother Yancy ask me if I had any questions. I had several questions , the one I ask was " if the world is only 10,000 years old, WHERE did the dinosaur fossils come from"? Both the Preacher and my grand father , looked like I had just shot Jesus! Brother Yancy looked me in the eyes and stated " SATAN! Will go to any length to make me doubt god!" I was dumbfounded ! Satan put the dinosaur fossils there just to make me doubt god? On the way home, my grand father told me to NEVER! ask another question like that again, EVER! What bothered me, was a few months before that I had found a huge chunk of petrified wood, and my grand father told me how it took hundreds of thousands of years for the minerals to replace the wood! The exact same thing that made the dinosaur fossils! When a challenged him with what he told me about petrified wood he actually slapped me in the face! He told me to NEVER! EVER! Ask anything like that again! When I got home , I told my parents what had happened. My mother ask me what I thought. I told them I thought they were full of horse hockey! They then ask me what I thought. I told them I didn't believe any of what I read in the Bible! They told me that I never had to go back to church , unless I wanted to. My paternal grand parents stopped having anything to do with me ( unless they needed something ) my maternal grand parents ( who had a lot of Native American blood in them ) thought it was great! My brother and sisters never forgave me for becoming an Atheist ( their loss ) . That was what growing up as an Atheist in southern Arkansas was like. My mother and father never said anything about my choice . It was never mentioned again by them. Now, where they Atheist? They never said! But after I told them about my grand father slapping me over asking him how it took hundreds of thousands of years to make the petrified wood how could the universe be only 10,000 years old, my dad got up, got dressed and went up to our grand parents house and had a discussion with him. When he got back he told me that I never had to ever go back to church! And he also told me to never stop asking questions.

I first doubted religion ever since someone tried to convert me into being a christian. I notice that all they wanted me to do was doubt life and use the confusion to possess me. They would ask me why life I would ask them why not

I first heard about the Christian god when I was four and thought the idea absurd. As much as I tried to conform in later years, that doubt never really left me.

I never really believed, my parents let me grow up without a religion. They didn't want to force me into something I may not have agreed with, I love them for that decision. Like I said, I never really fully believe, but growing up there was always a part of me that wanted to believe. That slowly faded away as I grew older and started asking and seeking more answer regarding life and religion.

After years of no answers I was like, "how am I supposed to believe in you?" and then I got bored of church and got drunk lol

I went through a tough period, that included divorce, loss of job and the death of my son. I got serious about my faith and started reading the Bible. The more I read, the less I could believe it. I don't see how anyone can believe the Christian Bible if they actually read it for their self.

I could say that I first had my doubts about religion from as early in my childhood as I can remember since my Father was an Atheist, those doubts became well and truly confirmed when my mother forced me to attend Sunday School ( she was a Methodist btw) and I was EXPELLED from every Sunday School and Primary School Scripture Classes simply because I asked questions.
Even more confirming was the fact that prior to each expulsion, not only did I get hit with a cane at least 6 times BUT I was subjected to being called things like a Heathen, Pagan, Hell's Spawn. Satanic Bastard, Heretic and innumerable other foul and disgusting things.

I first doubted religion at such a young age I cannot remember having done so . My parents were never religious but did not actively try swaye my judgement , being vocal as to state they felt I should choose for myself and had not had me christened for the same reason

Studying catechism when I was about 5 or 6 years old, even the priest that gave me my first holy communion knew I wasn't buying any of it, I was there too make my mother happy.

I suppose "doubting religion" can be taken a lot of different ways, but after wrestling for two years to retain my belief in the existence of the Christian god, I finally walked away and admitted to myself that I had become an atheist in the fall of 2012. What a relief it's been ever since!

I was 16. It was at the little after-party for a local band that I was really into. I quickly became engaged in a deep conversation with the singer. I had been a born again christian, but hadn't felt connected with god for about a year.
I told him that I felt that I was going to go to hell. He simply suggested that Hell might not be real. That's all it took for me to begin looking at my own beliefs objectively.
29 years later, I don't have beliefs. I don't need them, and the singer of that band (Damien Youth) is one of my oldest and dearest friends, and still one of my favorite song writers.

I was a born again Christian for over 30 years and an Evangelist for 12 of them. Worse thing my Pastor ever did was make me an Evangelist. Then I was able to study whatever I wanted to so I could preach instead of just studying the weeks study topics. (which were never anything controversial or confusing) The more I studied, the less it made sense. We're responsible for the sins of someone else simply because they were the first humans on Earth? (which according to the bible, they weren't) Jesus was "God manifest in the flesh even though Jesus himself made it perfectly clear that he wasn't? That was just the beginning. Once I started studying Christianity's origins and history, it became apparent that modern Christianity is based on false doctrine that has been heavily edited by the likes of Constantine, the Council of Nicaea and the Roman Catholic Church. Christianity's scriptures directly contradict it's most important tenets.

And once I did the same studying of the other two Abrahamic religions (Islam and Judaism) I learned that none of them are true and all of them were the inventions and tools of man designed to control society.

Since I was born into an Atheist family I never had to worry about doubting religion. My parents never told me -or my siblings- to be/become Atheists but provided us with the tools debates / chats / literature / chats with a cousin who later became a priest..) to make our own decisions.
My father always told us: "Whenever a person tells you a FACT you should investigate if he/she is telling you the truth or only his/her fact."

At birth.

I can't remember ever NOT doubting religion. I was raised in a highly religious family, with everyone telling me I was going to Hell (basically, for exposing their constant hypocrisies and lies) - everyone always had excuses for the inconsistencies I witnessed, but 'I' was the one going to Hell! At 4, I was molested under the porch by the neighbor boy who was molested by his father who was a Deacon at the church, who then proceded to accuse me of a whole barrage of mis-deeds, for which my father punished me - and 'I' was going to Hell! I figured out very early on that if all of them were going to Heaven, then I didn't want to go there anyway .. and Hell sounded like a perfectly fine place for me to be. I began to question everyone's motivations & assumed that whatever they were saying was motivated by the need to "appear" to follow the religion (whether because of the need for societal inclusiveness and approval, or for money), but not by the need to actually follow its doctrines (because everyone knew that no matter how extreme their sin, they could simply confess their sins and ask forgiveness on their deathbeds anyway - and they would all go to Heaven) - thus I figured the entire religion was devised by men with the need to control others. I figured all this out by the age of five & NEVER feared the threats of Hell again.

When I was in my mid-thirties, I revisited my religious beliefs & devised a test utilizing my own mother and all the cousins & relatives on her side, that only I - and God, would understand .. needless to say, they all mucked it up miserably & reconfirmed my belief that there is no possibility of a God or gods. It was then that I went from Atheist, to Agnostic, & then to full-on Anti-theist .. I now consider myself to be an Antago-theist, I actually work to antagonize those that believe in gods and spirits and will take every opportunity to openly ridicule them (much like they all did to me my entire life - and no, I don't have any personal need to be better than anyone. What went around, I'm now pushing around & I don't care to take the "high road" or to be in any way, "above" them .. how that appears to others is their problem, not mine).

I was raised catholic, and in high school, when a young priest pretended to talk in tongues, that was it for me. I knew it was hokey and I quickly came around to reason.

when I was in grade school I read a lot of mythology. When I got to the Egytian beliefs and started to see the overlap with CHristianity I began to doubt the Catholic Faith.That deteriorated more as I began to see more of the history of the Catholic Church. I have always felt even if there was a "god" as a human it would be an unknowable entity.

I began to doubt after the murder of a dear friend. She had committed her life to Christ as a young girl and lived an authentic Christ-centered life. I used to say, "I'm glad God doesn't grade on a curve because Sue meddled it up for the rest of us." I just couldn't wrap my mind around why he would allow her to be brutalized, and I knew I was far less deserving of his care than she was. This opened my eyes and I started to question my beliefs about everything. I struggled for about a decade before I finally admitted to myself that I no longer believed in god.

When I was a small child (I think about six) and I was in Sunday school and I suddenly thought "this doesn't make sense". It was much later when I realized it was just a bunch of superstitions and fairy tales that were designed to keep me in line and take my money.

Serious doubts - in my 40s. I remember a hot-tub conversation with my then wife where I first said that I was afraid to die and just cease to be, forever. Articulating that doubt some 10 years ago was a watershed moment for me. Though I didn't change quickly, change has felt unstoppable since then.

I was a devout Catholic all my life. I first doubted religion at the begining of highschool but doubled down on my devotion to try and make the skepticism go away. By the next year I was an atheist.

I was about 12. We were in my CCD class and discussing the story of Noah. I realized then that not only was the earth populated by incest once during creationism, but a second time following the flood.

From then on, I researched as much as I could on religion and started to realize it was all just bullshit. In fact, I went through my confirmation at 16 a self thought atheist. I did it for my parents, but also because I was told I'd be allowed to decide if I wanted to go to church anymore after.

I think I was about 7. I was raised in the Catholic Church, and I never did understand why God would have a problem with gay marriage.

AT a young age, I asked an Assembly of God minister where God came from. I was told that questions like that were blasphemy and I could go to hell for it. My logic kicked in and I asked myself why.

During my graduate studies in World Religions and after becoming a minister.

It is funny how many ministers go on to leave their faith.

this is the second post of a former minister.It makes me wonder how you could keep the motivation to finish those studies

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.