Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never...I would instill in them the sense of decency and perhaps the golden rule...I think it is more important to teach them how to think critically so they can explore their own options when they get older to support how they were raised...fitting in is a horrible reason for anything...would you have them dress alike to fit in? Eat crappy food to fit in?

school uniforms - school meals - school curriculum - is all about teaching them to fit in. So please do teach your children to use critical independent thought.
and what is the golden rule?

@ShadowAmicus Golden rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you...treat others like you want to be treated...our schools do not require uniforms and kids bring or buy their own lunches...after the fundamentals, they choose courses they would like to take...critical thought is of course, the best way to teach them to make wise and decent decisions...

@thinktwice over here every school has their own uniform and most kids eat the meal provided by the school for lunch - very similar to the army training to knock out unwanted traces of individualism

@ShadowAmicus there is something to be said about being homogenous...the connection to country and ideals is stronger...look at countries like Japan...being part of society means you agree to certain aspects that might mean losing some individualism...

@thinktwice Sheep may safely graze

@thinktwice It is always an individual free thinker that brings about change - may be good or bad, but change prevents stagnation, which is always bad

@ShadowAmicus which explains why so many good progressive and good ideas came from Japan and China... 😉...

I gave my son a religious education so he could be culturally literate--how many things cannot be understood without knowledge of the religious traditions underlying them. However I also encouraged him to be a freethinker, and he is now an agnostic.

I took the same path. At 7yo (now I'm bragging) the boy said "I don't like religion. It's silly".

Thank you. I think I will do this.

I also think this is important. I was still a believer when we started our family, and they went to Sunday school when we were in church. When we quit going, so did they, and I have seen times when they weren't aware of things that seemed like common knowledge to me. I don't think it's necessary to send a kid to church in order to have that knowledge, but you have to put some real effort into it if you don't.

That's ridiculous, who cares what others think! Unless you're in a especially specific case where being atheist is dangerous (I doubt that's any of you), Then don't hide how you feel!

just like water, we just have to seek our own level.

I remember a line, one of my favorite lines from a movie, from Demi Moore's "G.I. Jane when she was told by her senior officer, "lieutenant, seek life elsewhere!"

we must be honest and do not care what others will think or say about us.

Never. It's being a coward and a cop-out to do anything you know is wrong just to "fit in." i have zero respect for anyone who does it. this is precisely the reason religion still exists, because people with brains are too cowardly to speak up and walk away.

would Edmund Burke's quote fit in to what you said about people with brains? or maybe the one by Albert Einstein?

All the religious people are victims themselves. They have believe all the lies that have been planted in their brain very early. now they became stupid. no matter what they can not hear or see logic. I feel sorry for them.

All four of my grown children are atheists.

Caron Level 2 Oct 26, 2017

That's pretty cool, I wish I could say the same. Congratulations

That's very cool. I too, have 4 that are all non religious. I simply introduced them to as many cultures as I could, encouraged the study of history and human nature. I'm proud of them.

Fuuuuuuuck no. But I also would not force them to be atheist. I will force them to use logic and reason though..

How would you address the fact that every other week his mother is dragging him to a rather involved judgemental Christian church?

@RobInRealLife Show him a George Carlin video about god.

No I would not. I had an interesting childhood. My mother, who was a Puerto Rican woman and went to Catholic School, raised all of us as Catholics until we maid our confirmations. At that time, if we chose to not proceed with religion, she was okay with it. My father, was raised as a Jew but from a young age, knew that he was an atheist. He respected my mother's wishes as long as he had the opportunity after church and Sunday School, to deprogram us. In this way, we truly had both sides of the picture growing up. Only 2 of their six children chose atheism. The rest stayed with Christianity in one form or another. It was an interesting social experiment.

What do you think made the difference between those who remained in the church and those who got a clue?

@MarqG That's a great question. Part of it, I believe, is not having confidence in themselves and fear of the finality of death. There may have been a certain comfort in old traditions and beliefs. My father, let it be known at every family gathering that religion was the cause of violence and hatred, now and historically and had the facts to back it up. He was a great student of all the religions of the world both current and ancient. There was no arguing the factual basis of his arguments. Some people just need to believe in something more than facts.

I don't do ANYTHING to fit in, least of all abuse chldren.

g

Teaching a child the NOW I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP prEyer IF I SHOULD DIE B4 I WAKE lies is equal to 72 virgin promises to suicide bombers. ....terrorist faiths in action

Would I lie to children?

Would I declare what I know to be fiction to be fact, knowing that I was deliberately deceiving them?

Would I introduce them to a belief system that inherently induces bigotry and contempt for people of other faiths?

Absolutely, totally NOT.

that would be just like walking on a thin line

I don't think i could. i wouldnt Want to teach my child something that i knew hurt me so much when i realized it wasnt true.

I say same thing as you, you are a smart young man.

No I didn't and they turned out great!!

that's great!

Absolutely not! Why would it be any good to teach children to believe in something that doesn't exist!

pardon Mr.MartinKen, religion also happen to teach values and ethics, just take the good or what you believe to be good for the kids. But I don't agree in teaching them to be religious just "to fit in"

Never! I raised my daughter to question everything, including her parents. 😉

Absolutely not!

No, I would raise them to think for themselves. TO have morals, respect those wiser than themselves, to be kind and caring and to respect everyone and their beliefs. As they get older and decide to become religious then I will support that decision but I will also make sure that they still respect others point of view

NO! I want them to be themselves and not feel like they have to be religious to "fit in".

I agree with you my mother did not make me religious just to fit in she left it up to me

Absolutely, positively not. To me, the idea of teaching a child to believe in god "just to fit in" teaches them that it's better to be liked than to be true to yourself. It also breeds confusion and mistrust.

Is God the truth?? don't think so.

I was still trying to be religious when my kids were last living at home, but when I let them know I no longer believed any of that crap, they told me that they never had in the first place. Good on them.

So often we find out that kids are smarter than we think. 🙂 🙂

I was forced to go to church and go through certain rituals as a chilc. It is abuse, straight up. No way do I expose my child to the dogma.

I tend to agree. When my mother tried to force me to go to Sunday school, I was so lucky my father was able to talk her down. She went ballistic when I asked her why I should go & listen to a bunch of crazy nonsense that was obviously not true. At age 9 I already knew that I was an atheist.

No we need people who see the world as it is in real all these old crazy stories about a Christian god that killed his own son is fodder a sad and silly life. Most religious people are scared of death and god and not to be mean but they should see him more as a dead beat father

Love how you said,” dead beat father.” Lol

Would I abuse children to fit in... nah...

Fitting in is over rated. Greatness is achieved by standing out, not fitting in.

Actually, there was a rumor going around my son's school that he was a Satan worshiper, and he quite enjoyed it.

If fitting in meant life or death yes.

No, I raise them to think for themselves. I haven't even used the word atheist to describe myself, but I emphasize science and reason over emotion. My middle child has joined a youth group, and I hope she has learned enough to decide for herself if she is a believer. I'll love her either way.

Very much like my own approach. I absolutely let go of hoping she would grow up to be an atheist. I let her go to church when she wanted to, I didn't really push atheism, although I owned up to it. I told her from an early age to observe and think and figure out what she believed. That it would be wrong for me to decide for her. Well, she went through her Mormon phase. Her high school was thick with them, so go figure. And then one day she just went, Nope, and has identified as an atheist ever since. Now she's raising kids with the same philosophy. that she has to let their brains and consciences lead them to their own truth.

I am having a difficult time with this question. My ex-wife is religious and my first son she wants to raise in the church. My second is mildly spiritual, calls herself a Christian for cultural reasons, but is sort of deist in her beliefs. My sons are 1 & 3 and I have no idea how to handle this. I was thinking of raising the 1 year old in a deist, Buddhist culture. The 3 year old I will have to unbrainwash when it comes up, because I can’t stop my ex wife...

Please don't. Your kids are way too young to even EXPOSE them to any religion let alone you GUIDING them to one. Think about it. They'll choose when it's time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.