Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No that is a form of mental child abuse!

Certainly not! In fact, I distanced myself from an old friend who decided to raise her children as Christians, despite the fact that she and her husband are atheists, so they would "have the right social connections."

I told my daughter what I believe (or don't believe), and her father (who became religious after we split up) tried to indoctrinate her into his sect. He died when she was 9, and it didn't truly take. We attended and were heavily involved in a Unitarian Universalist congregation, where she was exposed to many different belief systems in religious education. Since I homeschooled her, I was able to make sure she read the Bible as literature, and understood its history.

No I would not. I had an interesting childhood. My mother, who was a Puerto Rican woman and went to Catholic School, raised all of us as Catholics until we maid our confirmations. At that time, if we chose to not proceed with religion, she was okay with it. My father, was raised as a Jew but from a young age, knew that he was an atheist. He respected my mother's wishes as long as he had the opportunity after church and Sunday School, to deprogram us. In this way, we truly had both sides of the picture growing up. Only 2 of their six children chose atheism. The rest stayed with Christianity in one form or another. It was an interesting social experiment.

What do you think made the difference between those who remained in the church and those who got a clue?

@MarqG That's a great question. Part of it, I believe, is not having confidence in themselves and fear of the finality of death. There may have been a certain comfort in old traditions and beliefs. My father, let it be known at every family gathering that religion was the cause of violence and hatred, now and historically and had the facts to back it up. He was a great student of all the religions of the world both current and ancient. There was no arguing the factual basis of his arguments. Some people just need to believe in something more than facts.

No, I'm not that stupid or willing to abuse children.

Ha, ha! I never once took any of my children to church. I talked about the way religion is a commercial business enterprise. I let them know my beliefs, and explained those beliefs to them. But basically I just let them make their own decisions. So now, they are all grown. One is agnostic, but the other two are conventionally religious.

marga Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

Nope.

No. I would teach them to think critically and question everything. They may be ridiculed by those who don't follow their religious morals, but they will live happier lives.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 30, 2018

Fuck NO! I would want smart inquisitive children and religion stifles that. Children should be given the facts and left to choose their own faith or lack there of.

If I thought I could have full say on this, I'd just take them to a religious service only once in a while (say, a holiday or two a year). Like going to a museum and a zoo, you get to see something of the past and some other ways things like to live and believe.

But I doubt that my still-very-Christian spouse will want that. So I will probably have to blend into a liberal tradition to avoid the foolery of fundamentalism as much as possible, and to keep them in an environment where they will hopefully be more open to my skepticism about religious ideas.

Absolutely not! It would be tantamount to child abuse

No never

No.

Not now. Children, especially, need to be free, critical thinkers. It's very important, but especially when dominionists are trying to take over.

I allowed them to go with their Nanny and friends to church when they were younger. Now they are teens, and one would go with friends...if she had the spare time.
My children must be the only children not to know The Our Father prayer. I always told them the bible was just awesome stories and that they should read them just like Brothers Grim and Jan's Christian Andersen stories.

My son is grown and well balanced. I did not raise him in a religion. I did offer him materials on several religions to explore at his own leisure. He took on a basic comparative study some time ago but came to the conclusion religions are bunk. He told me he could see how once upon a time they might have been helpful to those in it, but that those in it today are so focused on the letter of the word of them that they have lost any real worth.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 19, 2018

No! I will not force anything on to my kids. I will let them make there own choices about religion.

Yes & No

In the UK, the best schools are Christian (I actually had to get baptised to get my youngest into school !!! WTF). Also the armed services are all 'For God, Queen & Country' which is something else I had to slide with - at the end of the day - Me & mine ride the system but remain Freethinking

One word: NOOOOOOOOOO !!!

No way. I would consider that child abuse.

I raised my kids to enjoy life and experience and learn about nature and the world around them. Whether they decided to become religious was totally their choice. Both are non Religous and are amazing parents to their children this is what I find makes me proud.

What would you tell him? That it is ok to say his parents are religious when you are not? That his parents are not religious, but want you to be? That your parents want to say you are religious for the societal benefits? How can you raise your child to be religious when you are not? I don't know how to do that. No idea.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

Not just to fit in but because it was instilled that that was my job as a parent, until I decided what was truly best . Mind you 3 of my 4 kids were already grown and gone but even still.I made it known to them that I myself have been brought to reality about religion and god. Of course my oldest was confused as to why such a huge turn around...I explained to him why I had such a change and broke it down for him. It's difficult to undo a lifetime of false info...I'm still trying though.

I didn't, so no way, my integrity is still worth more.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.