Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

Haha
Absolutely not
Why would anyone who loves their children make such compromises just to fit in

Children are not born religious, they are brainwashed to believe in that stuff. So why not teach then how to think, rather than what to think. They will not always make quick friends, but they will eventually find friends who can reason and not be gullible sheep.

Hypothetically, if I had children, I know I could count on my relatives to supply them with King James themed bible story and activity books, so here's what I'd do.
Go to the bookstore, buy plenty of sciencey activity books and do lots of kitchen experiments together. I'll remind my children that science is heartbreakingly objective, but there are plenty of people today who have compromised their beliefs in science and religion to cater to their personal lifestyle/needs. When those bible story books come rolling in, I'll buy plenty of story books from other religions and give them to my children. This should reinforce that it is important to respect diversity and there is no one true path in life.
Yeah I'd prefer atheist babies. But I can trust that they'll come to the conclusion that's best for them.

My sons only 3 but I read him all the old myth stories and bed time stories even the ones from the bible so in his head as he grows older they will just be stories. I did start looking into getting books on critical thinking so as he gets older we can sit down and read those together. I don't want him to be a yes man to whatever anyone else says. I want him to always ask Why if there is no evidence as to why.

My children were raised Jewish...but secular humanistic Jews...culturally Jewish...I think both my sons now 29 and 32 would say they are atheists.

I am having a difficult time with this question. My ex-wife is religious and my first son she wants to raise in the church. My second is mildly spiritual, calls herself a Christian for cultural reasons, but is sort of deist in her beliefs. My sons are 1 & 3 and I have no idea how to handle this. I was thinking of raising the 1 year old in a deist, Buddhist culture. The 3 year old I will have to unbrainwash when it comes up, because I can’t stop my ex wife...

Please don't. Your kids are way too young to even EXPOSE them to any religion let alone you GUIDING them to one. Think about it. They'll choose when it's time.

My children know I'm an atheist. Their mother is religious, and had quite a bit of influence on them in their younger years. We have discussed the topic and I feel as though they have yet to commit one way or the other. I don't force my views on them, but rather offer my opinions.

My parents didn't attend church, but they sent me to Sunday School. For several years during my childhood, I found the idea of God very comforting

Sunday school was not just because of religion. If you have younger siblings they probably came about when you were there ha ha

My parents didn't attend church, but they sent me to Sunday School. For several years during my childhood, I found the idea of God very comforting

NO WAY ...which began with my choice of their mother.. I recently found both our kids ‘Atheist Primers,’ by Madalyn Murray O’Hair, purchased far in advance of having them, from American Atheists. They loved them! Even colored in the pages 🙂

Having planned to raise Atheist Warriors, I may actually have done better - they’re far more sophisticated than me. But it just ‘doesn't happen.’ It requires an age-appropriate honest response to every question … to the point they come to expect the same from everyone. So when it comes to religion, it had better add up...

Varn Level 8 Dec 26, 2017

Absolutely not and I’m very open to sharing my views as an atheist with my young daughter if need be. I assume to just keep religion out of conversation or not use is as a crutch to get through tough times. But, when the time comes she will learn of these fairytales, and mama will have to subject her to what most would find horrible. There is no god, we are here and it is a beautiful thing that we are..but religion (all of them) is bullshit.

I really believe the operative word here is children. I'm opposed to encouraging young children to believe in religious activities simply to fit in because I'm against indoctrination. Children do not actually understand the concept of religion which is why Sunday school tries to make it fun but encourages them to accept it as a reality in their lives. On the flip side, is it a contradiction that we celebrate certain holidays like Christmas/Yule for the Santa factor? I've heard many explain to me it is like taking away the magic for a child by not allowing them to participate. It seems to get muddled here though because it is okay to tell them about Santa and allow that to be something they discover to be untrue. My oldest was told in Kindergarten, by some other child, that Jesus was her father and she got annoyed, and told him "matter of factly" that he was wrong because "she already has a father." She came home upset, to ask me why the kid would say that and I went on to explain religion and its association with Christmas. She is really smart, but she still did not understand why anyone would believe something extraordinary.

No. In the northeast, maybe they fit in better without religious indoctrination, But that's not to say they should be ignorant of Bible stories as stories and myths and as literature.

Geoff Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

Of course not. That would be fraudulent. No one wants to raise their kids to be frauds - which most religious people are anyway, because they can't figure out a social network without church, which is nonsense.

No way. I educate my children about religion, and allow them the latitude to explore spirituality. My kids are all over the place, with ideas of reincarnation that span traditional forms to alternative or parallel universes. Other days, they don’t believe in reincarnation at all. I am honest with them about my lack of belief and know that if I am militant about my atheism, I increase the likelihood they will be pushed in the opposite direction. As they grow older, they will come to their own conclusions, as I did. In the meantime, all I can do is educate them about why there is no evidence at this time to support theism and when they do come up with supernatural explanations for things, we have an honest and open discussion about it and often, they will forget about it as fast as hey fabricated it.

I tell my kids not to discuss religion in school. My youngest boy’s classmates all think he is Jewish because he told them he wasn’t Christian when they asked (Judaism is he ONLY possibility if you aren’t Christian, dontchaknow.) We attend a secular church with no specific doctrine, and they learn about different religions and philosophies. I hope they will be better educated for it.

Hell no! (or will I get in trouble saying "hell" here?)

I didn't, so no way, my integrity is still worth more.

No.....I did not! I moved to US twenty years ago, lived among very religious people, went to church once or twice, for coffee hour not for sermon, learn about every culture and decided not to follow so my children are hard core feminist today

No. I if I had my way I would wait to teach anything until my children had reached the age of reason and let them decide for themselves. I mean, I would like for them to believe the same but they are their own people, they have their own individuality and I would never take that from them. Sadly, my family has already indoctrinated them into Christianity. I don't hate my family for that, I absolutely don't think less of my children for buying into it. They're kids.

They will come to their own conclusions and make their own decisions as they grow. I just might introduce them to some Christopher Hitches in the mean time though.

My parents pay to send our 3 year old to a Christian preschool. He gets to socialize with other kids, and I think it is important for him to learn about religion so he understands his peers. We tell him Jesus and Santa are nice stories, but they're not real. They're just fun fairytales. He also knows that many people believe they are real, so it's not nice to spoil their fun by telling them they're not real. He's only 3, he can have that conversation when he's ready.

Not just to fit in but because it was instilled that that was my job as a parent, until I decided what was truly best . Mind you 3 of my 4 kids were already grown and gone but even still.I made it known to them that I myself have been brought to reality about religion and god. Of course my oldest was confused as to why such a huge turn around...I explained to him why I had such a change and broke it down for him. It's difficult to undo a lifetime of false info...I'm still trying though.

What would you tell him? That it is ok to say his parents are religious when you are not? That his parents are not religious, but want you to be? That your parents want to say you are religious for the societal benefits? How can you raise your child to be religious when you are not? I don't know how to do that. No idea.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

The state school system in the UK is such that many couples have to feign religious belief in order to get their kids into a better church school. My ex`s grandchildren being an example. As I was one of the only few of the circle that had actually been baptized. It fell on me to be a godfather in this charade. The priest asked of me to renounce the devil and all his works and I acquiesced. After the ceremony I was jokingly asked if that included his music (I love playing the blues). I replied "If he comes to claim copyright".

I raised my kids to enjoy life and experience and learn about nature and the world around them. Whether they decided to become religious was totally their choice. Both are non Religous and are amazing parents to their children this is what I find makes me proud.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.