Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No way. Religion, if at all meaningful, should not be steeped in hypocrisy, despite what some others do. I might consider pretending in public if death were the penalty for not.

Never, just to be conscientious of other faiths but to not allow themselves to be fooled by them.

NO. What an abdication of intelligent living that would be - as well as a complete denial of your being-who-you-are. Apart from being a terribly destructive role model for your children.

Pedro Level 3 Oct 28, 2017

I wish my children were not being raised as Christian, but I have little control over that now. My son aged 11, who is named Christian (yes, I wanted Sebastian, but got overruled and I was a strong xtian at the time!) I believe is intelligent enough to see through the lies, but it will take time. My daughter has already told me aged 9 that she doesn't believe, but don't tell Mommy! Much of our life here in SoCal revolves around religion and church, but not in the same way as in other parts of the country as we are fairly cosmopolitan here, the most prominent god probably being money! So everyday has some form of religious element in it and I do want my children to fit in. I just tell them to cross their fingers while praying, or think of something constructive they could actually be doing.

I gave my son a religious education so he could be culturally literate--how many things cannot be understood without knowledge of the religious traditions underlying them. However I also encouraged him to be a freethinker, and he is now an agnostic.

I took the same path. At 7yo (now I'm bragging) the boy said "I don't like religion. It's silly".

Thank you. I think I will do this.

I also think this is important. I was still a believer when we started our family, and they went to Sunday school when we were in church. When we quit going, so did they, and I have seen times when they weren't aware of things that seemed like common knowledge to me. I don't think it's necessary to send a kid to church in order to have that knowledge, but you have to put some real effort into it if you don't.

Never. I haven't any children, but if I did they would be raised to know about religion, but left to decide for themselves as adults which way to live. They would have my example.

Of course not. That would be immoral. Make sure they know all about the various religions, and give them your point of view (as RE classes in the UK are usually taught by a religious person - usually a christian - so they will miss out on the various viewpoints other than the teacher's).

All four of my grown children are atheists.

Caron Level 2 Oct 26, 2017

That's pretty cool, I wish I could say the same. Congratulations

That's very cool. I too, have 4 that are all non religious. I simply introduced them to as many cultures as I could, encouraged the study of history and human nature. I'm proud of them.

Definitely not. I have 3 kids. Two are in their twenties now, and my youngest is 6. I taught the first two that religion was a personal choice, and then gave them all of the facts I could find on different religions, celebrated different religious traditions with them, etc. and they both became atheists. My youngest stayed in an at home daycare where his very sweet but very religious care provider taught him to pray before meals and told him that thunder was "god playing soccer". Between that and the increasingly unacceptable behavior of the religious, I have just told my youngest that religion is something people have made up.

No way! If I had children, and thank the lard I don't, I'd raise them full metal jacket atheist. However, if they got interested in learning about religion, I wouldn't deter them, but I wouldn't join them in a church either. Never betray yourself just because others may ostracize you; they're not your friends anyway.

I did raise my children religious just to fit in I hate to admit it now but I did my wife x wife for 20 years was and still is a Christian I was never a Christian but I sure tried hard to be one it would just be much easier life if I was haha but not going to happen fortunately my kids are not Christians today in their forties.

NO, and we have paid for it in damage to my children and grandkids in Cuero, Texas. My daughter had to move to Austin for my granddaughter to be treated better

No, I would raise my kids to believe in whatever they want, if they choose not to believe in anything that is okay too.

NO

gearl Level 8 Oct 23, 2017

Absolutely not!

LoriS Level 3 Oct 23, 2017

No.. on the contrary raise him in the truth with the hope he can share it with friends.

Absolutely, positively not. To me, the idea of teaching a child to believe in god "just to fit in" teaches them that it's better to be liked than to be true to yourself. It also breeds confusion and mistrust.

Is God the truth?? don't think so.

No, I raised mine with truth.

No. As a teacher I'm more concerned with raising independant thinkers than go-along-with-the-crowd robots.

I have taught them to be open-minded and to choose their own path, but to always make sure they make informed decisions. So far, they are non-religious.

I’m not a fan of fitting in. I raced my child to be open to everything. That resulted in him being a nontheist.

I didn't raise my children religious. I told them some people believe in various gods, but I don't, I tried to teach them critical thinking,but left it to them to decide for themselves.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.