Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (301 - 325)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely not. I taught my daughter to think for herself and not blindly follow someone because they tell you it's what you should do. I taught her to do her own research and trust her instincts. I hear my grandson use the exclamation "Oh lord" or "Jesus" and I always find myself saying "where?" or "do you see him?" in jest. Since his other grandmother has clouded his thinking with religion, it is difficult to get him understand that Jesus was just a man that was talked about in a book and that he is not alive today. Being that she is Southern Baptist they tend to confuse the children with the whole resurrection and spirit deal. Oh and don't get me started on the concept of hell!

That would be child abuse. But I suppose many do it.

MarqG Level 5 Feb 23, 2018

I did not, and they were just fine with it. One or two still believe in the invisible friend but none of their children are baptized either.

No. That being said, I took some time deciding whether or not I was going to when I had mine.

When my ex's family (Baptist) and my family (Catholic), started a tug of war for the "souls" of my children, and after a few more instances of religious abuse by my family members, and years of finding I was an outcast no matter what church I explored, I just walked away from it all and kept my kids out of church.

My 16 year old recently told me how glad she was that I didn't force her to be religious. To be fair, though, I also didn't force them NOT to be religious. I think if one of my kids came to me and asked, I would consider letting them go if it was something they wanted to explore.

Fortunately, that just never happened.

No. That being said, I took some time deciding whether or not I was going to when I had mine.

When my ex's family (Baptist) and my family (Catholic), started a tug of war for the "souls" of my children, and after a few more instances of religious abuse by my family members, and years of finding I was an outcast no matter what church I explored, I just walked away from it all and kept my kids out of church.

My 16 year old recently told me how glad she was that I didn't force her to be religious. To be fair, though, I also didn't force them NOT to be religious. I think if one of my kids came to me now and asked, I would consider letting them go if it was something they wanted to explore.

Fortunately, that just never happened.

Oh hell, no!

I'm a Mémé (grandmother) now, but I raised my daughter in a Unitarian Universalist congregation for the community and their amazing religious and sex education programs. I never tried to push my lack of belief on her but insisted that she make conscious, informed choices about belief. She learned about paganism from my life partner and Christianity from her father.

She and my son-in-law are raising their daughter in a UU congregation now.

I would raise them to know how and why to fit in and its disadvantages.

I am Jewish but never was raised religiously, more a feeling about who I was than about a god. As I grew I found it to be more about heritage. That's how I raised my son. Now 30 and married to a practicing Christian, I worry for my unborn grandchildren.

I raised three kids without religion. They are far more comfortable talking about their lack of faith than I could ever afford to be. I must add that one of them decided to be Catholic. Ironically she was my wild child. As adults they have excellent morals and I'm very proud of how they treat people.

No way.

I raised my children to make their own choices, a right I never had.

Absolutely not! I'd try to instill in them critical thinking, and hopefully they'd make a decision that is right for them.

We raised our kids in the church but stopped attending. Our 2 youngest are learning disabled. When my husband and I stopped believing we never discussed it with the kids but realized they stopped talking about Jesus. So either Jesus gave up on them or he wasn't real and whatever "relationship" they had had been facilitated and maintained by us. That's when I really knew we had been scammed

No. I did not . They are fine.

Not a chance.

I raised my children in the Unitarian Universalist Church so the were exposed to all the worlds religions in an open nonindoctrinal way.

If the group doesn't fit me...why should I want to fin in the group?

My children are 49 and 50 and neither they nor their partners nor their children have any religious leanings - But No in England they fit in just fine - Come over here, very godless place not many people likely to ask you .

I keep saying we are and always have been a heathen nation. They tried it on with the god stuff for few hundred years but it never really stuck! (Plus we shipped all the real loons overseas 😉 )

Nope 3 out of 3 atheists...deep thinkers... One just graduating in Global politics, one starting in Sept doing a BA in phil and my girl runs a gastro pub/hotel! One very proud mummy

I allowed it to happen and fortunately for me it turned out well, Both my children are not religious as they were raised in the catholic haze. My ex stated the kids need something meaning that my views were nothing. Catholic school and uniforms , Today they do not attend church nor do they worship. Good job dad

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 16, 2018

No, I love my kids way too much to bullshit them. They had their choice, as my wife was religious, and I wasn't, and we both expressed our beliefs.

They're all grown up and moved away now, the little heathens! ?

I'd rather my children (I have one son, but let's not go there) choose for themselves whether they want to act like backwoods retards.

Never. My kids know I'll respect their decisions however, and if they get old enough and feel that "higher calling", then I'd happily take them to wherever, drop them off, and pick them back up afterwards. I'm not one of those parents who push my beliefs (or lack thereof) on my kids like my own parents did to me. They're free to believe whatever they want and people are free to accept them as they are, or kiss their asses. 🙂

No way. Religion is tantamount to brainwashing as far as I'm concerned. I'm a recovering Catholic, and I still have irrational moments of guilt associated with nothing more than the brainwashing cult's idea of "sin." I would not EVER do that to my own children.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.