Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NO, religion is a destructive force, anti science and anti-sympathetic to the needs of man kind.

Nope. My kids have had questions, I answered them honestly. They're 13, 11 and 5. The 5-year-old doesn't seem interested yet, the other two don't believe in any kind of God.

No, but as a single parent for most of my child's developing years, I allowed her to attend church with her grandparents, friends, and other relatives. I also clearly stated my beliefs and let her decide whether to accept a god/religion or not. She is well into adulthood now and seems comfortably agnostic, which is what I would have called myself at her age.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!! My son is grown up and is agnostic/atheist. His father was a believer, and I'm glad that he was closer with my side of the family and had good enough common sense not to follow in his father's tracks.

My three boys are already adults and all call themselves atheists. I never crammed it down their throats, but when they would come to me with questions that they had I would ask them questions back so that they could think through both sides of the proposed religious issue. I never had to sit them down and try to convert them to anything. I just valued their curiosity and questions with more to think about. They came to their own conclusions, and interestingly can hold their own in any discussion or argument.

Religion is simply a social institution. If I raise my children it will be to surpass the primate level of intelligence so common in humanity. FItting in with the herd is a necessity, as there is no enlightened society on Earth.

argo Level 4 Nov 3, 2017

Never! There's a reason I stopped believing, and I won't brainwash my kids!

fuck no! that being said I wouldn't force them to be non-religious either. they can make that choice on their own when they're old enough.

I didn’t. But I mad3 sure they learned about what their friends believed.

Absolutely not.

Ugh. Never.

On the other hand, many people are in situations where they have important jobs (teacher, lawyer, doctor, soldier, politician, et cetera) and being an open atheist can be a huge disadvantage, especially given that they may very well be trying to improve things----and they certainly 'play the part', sometimes asking their families to do the same. And those are very morally ambiguous situations in which the niche they've carved out for themselves seems to require a certain pretense. But I personally couldn't do it, and it's a privilege to be able to say I wouldn't. I have no idea how I'd answer if I hadn't been raised where I was, but I hope I'd still say I wouldn't.

No, because for one, I'm not religious, but I don't really care about what my kids do outside of killing goats. So, I'd let them do whatever they wanted to, outside of killing goats.

I wish my children were not being raised as Christian, but I have little control over that now. My son aged 11, who is named Christian (yes, I wanted Sebastian, but got overruled and I was a strong xtian at the time!) I believe is intelligent enough to see through the lies, but it will take time. My daughter has already told me aged 9 that she doesn't believe, but don't tell Mommy! Much of our life here in SoCal revolves around religion and church, but not in the same way as in other parts of the country as we are fairly cosmopolitan here, the most prominent god probably being money! So everyday has some form of religious element in it and I do want my children to fit in. I just tell them to cross their fingers while praying, or think of something constructive they could actually be doing.

Definitely not. I have 3 kids. Two are in their twenties now, and my youngest is 6. I taught the first two that religion was a personal choice, and then gave them all of the facts I could find on different religions, celebrated different religious traditions with them, etc. and they both became atheists. My youngest stayed in an at home daycare where his very sweet but very religious care provider taught him to pray before meals and told him that thunder was "god playing soccer". Between that and the increasingly unacceptable behavior of the religious, I have just told my youngest that religion is something people have made up.

No way! If I had children, and thank the lard I don't, I'd raise them full metal jacket atheist. However, if they got interested in learning about religion, I wouldn't deter them, but I wouldn't join them in a church either. Never betray yourself just because others may ostracize you; they're not your friends anyway.

NO, and we have paid for it in damage to my children and grandkids in Cuero, Texas. My daughter had to move to Austin for my granddaughter to be treated better

NO

gearl Level 8 Oct 23, 2017

I took them to the Unitarians to teach them the religions of the world

It would be like a Roman Emperor founding the Church of Rome and then refusing to be christened.

Would not and did not.

No. However, if they ask, I will explain that some people are and tell them what those beliefs were and let them think for themselves. Children are not stupid, most found it rather funny that there are people whom believed in such nonsense.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.