Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. I did not . They are fine.

Not a chance.

I raised my children in the Unitarian Universalist Church so the were exposed to all the worlds religions in an open nonindoctrinal way.

If the group doesn't fit me...why should I want to fin in the group?

Nope 3 out of 3 atheists...deep thinkers... One just graduating in Global politics, one starting in Sept doing a BA in phil and my girl runs a gastro pub/hotel! One very proud mummy

I allowed it to happen and fortunately for me it turned out well, Both my children are not religious as they were raised in the catholic haze. My ex stated the kids need something meaning that my views were nothing. Catholic school and uniforms , Today they do not attend church nor do they worship. Good job dad

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 16, 2018

No, I love my kids way too much to bullshit them. They had their choice, as my wife was religious, and I wasn't, and we both expressed our beliefs.

They're all grown up and moved away now, the little heathens! ?

I'd rather my children (I have one son, but let's not go there) choose for themselves whether they want to act like backwoods retards.

Never. My kids know I'll respect their decisions however, and if they get old enough and feel that "higher calling", then I'd happily take them to wherever, drop them off, and pick them back up afterwards. I'm not one of those parents who push my beliefs (or lack thereof) on my kids like my own parents did to me. They're free to believe whatever they want and people are free to accept them as they are, or kiss their asses. 🙂

I would never teach children to believe something that i thought was untrue. i think that is immoral. if they need to know about religion because you are in a religious community, then let them learn about it but at the same time give them the arguments against it and teach them to think logically and always look for evidence.

No way. When my daughter was small I explained that I didn't believe, but that was a decision she needed to make for herself. Whenever a friend wanted to include her in religious services or occasions, if she wanted to go, she did. Then when she got home we'd discuss the experience. By the time she was a teenager she was a nonbeliever.

That would be like being an intellectual lemming. Only imbeciles conform to stupidity for the sake of conformity.

No, both of my children are devout atheists and have not patience for religion. I realized at one point that I had to educate them on religious thought so that they could understand where so many people are coming from. On a side note, I was called from my oldest sons preschool teacher because the other childrens' parents were upset that my son was telling the truth about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny! I will not lie about religion or idols!

We taught our kids about all the major and some minor religions and let then decide on their own. While they thought some interesting, it was more "how can they believe that" that hey I want to go there. Both are confirmed nontheists today!

I don't have children, so this would be an academic question for me. My sister isn't religious, but neither has she identified as atheist or agnostic. I think the whole subject just really isn't on her radar. She has two children. Her in-laws are Catholic. They really wanted the kids to attend Sunday school. My sister left it up to the kids and they chose to attend. I'm not sure how long they did this, but I know they don't do it still and have not become religious kids.

vita Level 7 May 3, 2018

Definitely not.

Hell, no! I raised her as a Unitarian Universalist, giving her training and information to be able to make good choices for herself.

Hell, no! I raised her as a Unitarian Universalist, giving her training and information to be able to make good choices for herself.

Would I give my children heroin to become prostitutes ?

No - that just just promotes and promulgates the group delusion. We need to raise our kids capable of critical thinking and reason along with the ability to debate issues calmly. What a poor start in life to do anything else.

You raise livestock. You rear offspring. All of my sons are freethinkers.

No, but I had no problem with my wife taking them to church as long as I was not asked to endorse or validate it, and I was free to explain my position. My son is a drug addict and believes in some cosmic uniter, my daughter is just nervous about saying she is atheist or agnostic.

Absolutely NOT!! That question is almost silly coming from an atheist...

I wouldn't, and I didn't.

Deb57 Level 8 June 4, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.