Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (376 - 400)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hello no. my children are raised as atheist HOWEVER I do tell them that when they become adults I want them to make their own decisions. OR now. Just educate yourself on every major world religion first. If one speaks to you then I will support that decision. However so far my oldest grew up and did that and agreed that religion is bat shit nutso lol

no, of course my children are grown up . I have no control over my grandkids or my grandkids. my 2 kids and my grand kids are mostly non believers, and my great grandkids are babies.

NOPE!

My children were raised in the church only because I was, even though I no longer go and I am agnostic. I want them to reach their own conclusion.

I would not, however if my children began to ask I would not hesitate to help them find out about any religion they want and allow them to make their own choices on what they'll believe in.

If I was going to raise kids it wouldn't be in the highly religious area I live now.

Derek Level 2 Oct 2, 2017

never

Nope, I will give 'em the morals to fit in the world, respect the elder ones, sharing and caring kind of things, etc.
And then, this is their life.

I thought it was important to raise my children with religion as a young mother. I wanted my children to have the option of believing or not. I felt giving them religious classes would be the first phase and then when they were older (middle to high school) expand their believes as they asked questions about life events and why I didn't attend church. At that point I felt they lived with some religious teachings and lived what they saw and could ask questions that would make their choice of accepting religion or not their option. My oldest child continued his catholic upbringing but is accepting to my beliefs of not believing. My middle child, I think believes in god but I'm not sure how secure she is and if she just joins her husband in his beliefs possibly. Just not sure. My youngest daughter follows my beliefs at this time.

Nope. Never. Mainly because I find religion to be super harmful, but also, people are going to judge literally everything you do as a parent, so, might as well do what you think is best.

Never. Ever. Besides, my children are intelligent and they determined on their own that they are atheists.

Hell no.

Mojo Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

Absolutely not!

I raised my sons to believe in themselves first, and that they could choose to follow a religion, or not. Neither of them became believers, even though their dad tried hard to cram it into their heads. I am sad that my oldest son allows his wife to take their two kids to church. However, I say nothing as their minds will work it out as they grow and change.

NOPE! But if they come to some kind of belief on their own....then so be it.

Absolutely not!

No children but no, I would not.

Ummm NO!

No. If I ever have children I'm going to raise them to be compassionate, decent people. If they make the conscious decision to follow one of the many religious or spiritual belief systems, so be it.

Never! I raised my daughter to question everything, including her parents. 😉

I don't have children, but if I did "fitting in" would be not be the aim of any guidance. There is entirely too much "fitting in" going on; happiness and fulfillment do not lie in that direction.

If you pay me a few million maybe 😉

Jokes aside, never.

Not even the slightest chance.

No, because effective leaders show why it is best to follow their way; not follow the way of others, just for acceptance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.