Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My children are grown but no, I would never teach my children to believe in a fairy tale. I would talk to them about how some people believe and I would explain why I don't believe that way. I would also teach them rational and logical thinking so that they have the tools they need to figure out for themselves what is real and provable and what isn't.

No. I did not.

Absolutely not fitting in is no reason for ignorance

No, i wouldn't. I would tell my kid that whatever he/she is going to hear about religion are bad stories.

No, because effective leaders show why it is best to follow their way; not follow the way of others, just for acceptance.

Not even the slightest chance.

If you pay me a few million maybe 😉

Jokes aside, never.

I don't have children, but if I did "fitting in" would be not be the aim of any guidance. There is entirely too much "fitting in" going on; happiness and fulfillment do not lie in that direction.

Absolutely not.

Never! I raised my daughter to question everything, including her parents. 😉

No. If I ever have children I'm going to raise them to be compassionate, decent people. If they make the conscious decision to follow one of the many religious or spiritual belief systems, so be it.

Ummm NO!

No children but no, I would not.

Absofreakinglutely NO! I do educate my children about religions and their beliefs but I would never fake it to fit in. That said, my 12 year old begs me sometimes not to tell new friends (I don't generally tell anyone unless they ask). There are a lot of very religious families around and it's hard for her when making new friends, the parents place so much judgement.

Hell no! I reject all forms of child abuse and indoctrinating into something before they are old enough to understand it is one of the worst kinds.

No way why would i ever damage a child in that way

Absolutely not!

Nope. I would pull a page from the missionary playbook though, and teach them to go door to door spreading the word of atheism. Dress them up in nice suits and dresses, and give little pamphlets and preachings of a godless world to poor schlubs who are irritated at being woken up at 6am.

Note: I hate kids. Big reason why I don't have any. ^_^

NOPE! But if they come to some kind of belief on their own....then so be it.

I raised my sons to believe in themselves first, and that they could choose to follow a religion, or not. Neither of them became believers, even though their dad tried hard to cram it into their heads. I am sad that my oldest son allows his wife to take their two kids to church. However, I say nothing as their minds will work it out as they grow and change.

Absolutely not!

Hell no.

Mojo Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

Never. Ever. Besides, my children are intelligent and they determined on their own that they are atheists.

Absolutely not. I am of the opinion that teaching religion is more harmful than beneficial.

Nope. Never. Mainly because I find religion to be super harmful, but also, people are going to judge literally everything you do as a parent, so, might as well do what you think is best.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.