Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My parents didn't attend church, but they sent me to Sunday School. For several years during my childhood, I found the idea of God very comforting

Sunday school was not just because of religion. If you have younger siblings they probably came about when you were there ha ha

My children are 49 and 50 and neither they nor their partners nor their children have any religious leanings - But No in England they fit in just fine - Come over here, very godless place not many people likely to ask you .

I keep saying we are and always have been a heathen nation. They tried it on with the god stuff for few hundred years but it never really stuck! (Plus we shipped all the real loons overseas 😉 )

No way. Religion is tantamount to brainwashing as far as I'm concerned. I'm a recovering Catholic, and I still have irrational moments of guilt associated with nothing more than the brainwashing cult's idea of "sin." I would not EVER do that to my own children.

No my children fitted in fine with no god.

Sadly as I was growing up I was the only Atheist I knew

I did not raise my son in religion. In his teens, he wanted to see what his friends were doing, so he went to some religious venues and events. He is now 29 and has decided that he is atheist. His mother is christian, but she never pushed him and I never pushed him. He came to his own conclusions while discussing it with his peers and others.
We discussed it when he came to me a couple of years ago with a few questions.

I think you did well not to push your son and to encourage him to independently arrive at his own conclusions.

No. I encouraged mine to experience religion to develop his own idea of belief. His conclusion: try to live by the Golden Rule. He never goes to church but he does meditate and bows his head in thanks before he eats - not to thank God, but to show gratitude to the universe for providing.

My folks raised me Catholic not to fit in but because life was simple back in those days, that's what they knew ( I do not hold it against them ). Now, I know what that does so, no the answer is no. Both my daughters were brought up with no religion but being aware of their existance. Both freethinkers, doing well and fully understand why things were done that way. If they ever change then it will always be their choice.

Life wasn’t so simple but I was

Yes you need all the help you can get to raise childrenn.

When my daughter was eight I told her that Jesus was Santa Claus for grownups. She understood fine, and laughed.

Sometimes not only are kids more insightful then some of give them credit but intuitive and thoughtful of what we say or behave

If I was in an area that was so religious that I felt I needed to raise my children incorrectly (in my view) just for them to fit in with their peers I would just have to move. How could you attempt to shape your child’s entire worldview on something you yourself view as a lie. It’s a crazy question to me.

Yes I have moved to protect my family from tampon terrorists and criminal theocrat perpetrators

Absolutely not!

Definitely no

Absolutely not!

Absolutely not!!!

No way

Absolutely not

Never ever

JOY Level 2 Sep 14, 2017

Absolutely not.

No. Children should not be subjected to religious brainwashing.

Never made sense to me.

I have three children and they are being raised to think for themselves outside of a religious framework. They know it exists but can watch from outside the goldfish bowl. This makes them better people more able to fit in with others.

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

no way

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

(If I had kids) ... Oh hell no.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.