Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, they can make up their own mind as adults!

When my daughter was eight I told her that Jesus was Santa Claus for grownups. She understood fine, and laughed.

Sometimes not only are kids more insightful then some of give them credit but intuitive and thoughtful of what we say or behave

Never!

No. I Teach my son of my beliefs but I also try to teach him to keep an open mind.
Should he decide to follow any faith that choice is for him to make when he feels ready

Yes you need all the help you can get to raise childrenn.

Hell no. I will raise my children to believe what they want to believe in, no matter what anyone thinks. Judgmental jerks be damned.

My folks raised me Catholic not to fit in but because life was simple back in those days, that's what they knew ( I do not hold it against them ). Now, I know what that does so, no the answer is no. Both my daughters were brought up with no religion but being aware of their existance. Both freethinkers, doing well and fully understand why things were done that way. If they ever change then it will always be their choice.

Life wasn’t so simple but I was

oh, God, no

Oh, HELL NO!

I want to raise my kid with a sense of self-worth and personal dignity, not believing she's a bad, broken person who deserves punishment unless she accepts how terrible she is and pledges her love for some invisible, undetectable wife-beater.

If that means she stands out from some clique of frightened, prejudicial, slaughterhouse-bound livestock then I will help her find the confidence to accept it and challenge the world. But never would I put that poison in her just so she could fit in... She deserves better than that.

Crikey... That got me riled up. ? I'm off for a lay down.

That the abusive sky daddy will burn them in hell forever if they do certain things? Hell naw. I've been hiding all of the children's bible books my mother has from my child. But I would teach her what is taught and then also the arguments and rebuttals to the teachings.

No! England is pretty godless they'd fit in fine.

I wouldn't, and I didn't.

Deb57 Level 8 June 4, 2018

Absolutely NOT!! That question is almost silly coming from an atheist...

No. I encouraged mine to experience religion to develop his own idea of belief. His conclusion: try to live by the Golden Rule. He never goes to church but he does meditate and bows his head in thanks before he eats - not to thank God, but to show gratitude to the universe for providing.

I did not raise my son in religion. In his teens, he wanted to see what his friends were doing, so he went to some religious venues and events. He is now 29 and has decided that he is atheist. His mother is christian, but she never pushed him and I never pushed him. He came to his own conclusions while discussing it with his peers and others.
We discussed it when he came to me a couple of years ago with a few questions.

I think you did well not to push your son and to encourage him to independently arrive at his own conclusions.

No, but I had no problem with my wife taking them to church as long as I was not asked to endorse or validate it, and I was free to explain my position. My son is a drug addict and believes in some cosmic uniter, my daughter is just nervous about saying she is atheist or agnostic.

No my children fitted in fine with no god.

Sadly as I was growing up I was the only Atheist I knew

You raise livestock. You rear offspring. All of my sons are freethinkers.

No - that just just promotes and promulgates the group delusion. We need to raise our kids capable of critical thinking and reason along with the ability to debate issues calmly. What a poor start in life to do anything else.

Would I give my children heroin to become prostitutes ?

Hell, no! I raised her as a Unitarian Universalist, giving her training and information to be able to make good choices for herself.

Hell, no! I raised her as a Unitarian Universalist, giving her training and information to be able to make good choices for herself.

Definitely not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.